How to Find Old Parks/Schools

tony48

Elite Member
I've been searching the net for some old parks and schools in my area but haven't had much luck. Does anyone have any links to good sites to find them? Thanks for your help

I'm gonna look at the microfilm thing at my library for old newspapers and hopefully I'll get something. I don't think they really have much else though.

Great website for old maps. Using that I just learned about an old Masonic Hall by a Methodist Church. The map is from 1928 and the Masonic Hall is no longer there, but the church is. That seems like it could be good for a later day of hunting.

Excellent Site!!! I found 9 maps of my town from 1884 to 1927. But, like every other map, the exact area that I live in is slightly off the maps. :roll:

I don't know if you just want old schools that have closed but many school districts have a list of their schools with links to their websites. Many schools offer information on when they were established.

Historical Society

I would also suggest any local historical societies. I was able to get a picture of a map showing all of the one room country school houses in a 36 square mile area around my town.

A quick look on Yahoo Maps with imaging and I was able to tell which locations were open fields and which had buildings still standing. Even with buildings, it is worth a drive to check them out because some our simply sitting empty while others have been redone into houses.

Sanborn maps (excellent historical resource), local historians, old published works about the area (do not overlook these), and the local VFW or American Legion.. for the oldtimers. Research takes time, but can really pay off... RickO

Quadrangle Maps

You can purchase USGS Quadrangle maps which will reveal the locations of many old schools, stores etc. Do a search online and Voila!

How bout this park and school?

Attachments

• PARK MD.jpg
    PARK MD.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 6,854
  • PARK MD2.jpg
    PARK MD2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 6,845
Our Libary offers on-line history for Genealogy.
Those researching there past ancestors.

They have old phone books, school registry and cemeteries listed.
Early articles about the county history and residents.

The Genealogy department has been set-up really nice.
Alot of stuff can be view on-line from your own home.

Perhaps other people have tapped into this information source.
Check your County for a Genealogy website, it could be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom