george 2 counterstamp LIN

• Thread starter forgotten roads
  • Start date
F

forgotten roads

Looking for help with this one. Just unearthed in MA. woods. Date is barely visible but with a little more drying out I may be able to hold at an angle to see it.

Attachments

• coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 150
Neat looking coin but I have no idea what it is. There are a lot of coin experts that will probably be able to figure it out.

It appears to be a George II copper.

The following info can be found at this site: http://www.nd.edu/~rarebook/coins/ColCoin/ColCoinText/Br-Copper.2.htmlDuring the thirty three year reign of George II (1727-1760) a large number of coppers were produced. At this time the cost of prepared coppers sheets dropped to 15.75d per pound, increasing minting profits to 13%. However, several illegal counterfeit coining operations opened at this time, producing a large quantity of underweight coppers, to be discussed in the counterfeit section. George produced halfpence during 1729-1740 and 1742-1754 while farthings were made in 1730-1737, 1739, 1741, 1744, 1746, 1749, 1750 and 1754. All of his coin has the bust left portrait.

I'm not sure what the counterstamp is for. I have found a few but haven't had much success at counterstamp identification.

Back
Top Bottom