Odd Metal Ingot?

JetBlackJackal

Hello all, I found this several years ago while I was exploring a river that was really dried up from a bit of a drought. I've noncommittally tried to find out exactly what purpose it served but haven't come up with anything. I'm hoping y'all can change that. It seems to be entirely made of lead, and is stamped "MISSOURI" on one side. Now, about the area, it was the Middle Tyger river in South Carolina. I found it in the water that usually is much faster flowing and deep. I've heard that there used to be a dam in the area but it was torn down, seen evidence that lends credence to that claim. Also, saw a guy find a horshoe on one of the banks, didn't get a look at it though so I don't know how old it was. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Attachments

• 20190319_193930.jpg
    20190319_193930.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 489
Apparently Missouri is an important lead mining location as several companies are in the state and a quick Google search shows several similar to your ingot (albeit newer but still with Missouri on it) Lead has been mined in MO since the 1720's

Hey thanks, guess I should have looked at more than just the image search results. Still makes you wonder how it ended up where it did. Probably related to that dam construction or the mill thats upriver.

Your ingot is similar to the one I found at the ruins of an 18th
Century house. Mine has no markings but was partially used for
welding.If that helps you to ID it...?

Attachments

• WP_20190325_19_36_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190325_19_36_32_Pro.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 299
plumbers soldering lead, to seal pipe joints, etc, remember they used to use lead pipe for water lines and many other uses.

Back
Top Bottom