Lest we forget.

We will never forget and will always owe your country a debt of gratitude for standing alongside us in our hour of need.

RIP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-47337174/flypast-for-ww2-us-bomber-crash-crew

While I obviously can't assume any credit whatsoever, your welcome as your brethren from across the pond.

I also extend our thanks for standing up with us, virtually every time since. Other than that little 1770`s thing we are all good.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Now one way you can show thanks, is inviting us over for a real relic hunt!:cool:

The four ship formation in tribute to their fallen comrades fly a 'missing man' manoeuvre with one aircraft pulling up to leave a space.

@ 1:55 minutes into the video.

Thank you so much Doug...I told the Wife about your post..Her Father was stationed in England and served as a waist gunner on a B-17...so yeah, it meant a lot to Her regarding the honor of your post.....someday we would like to come over and wander around..

She holds her Fathers 'Worry coin' in her purse..Its a big English copper of some sort with a thumb groove worn into it...

FWIW, My Wifes Father was one of the 3 surviving crew members out of 10 on the B-17 'Devils Mate'...Unimaginable when looking at the pics how these things even flew to begin with..got home to England, so shot up you could drive a truck through it...He was guilty that he survived...Heavily alcoholic yet maintained a Family.... put his nose to the grindstone and suffered in silence until his death...

All these kids were nothing but farmboys....One day planting potatoes behind a team of horses and the next 30,000 feet running a Browning 50 cal out of a wide open window?....None of these guys expected to make it home alive...So thank you for the post..Told the Wife, see? Some folks have an appreciation for what your Father did...said, We should go to England someday and wander around...

Attachments

• mem belle dake logo.jpg
    mem belle dake logo.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 134
  • pam sgt rock 2.jpg
    pam sgt rock 2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 136
  • belle.jpg
    belle.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Thanks Doug

My fathers baby brother enlisted at 18 and was selected from thousands fresh out of paratroop school to become one of the first airmen of the USAAC.

Having been inside a B17, I can tell you they were mostly selected by physical size. Having met you more than once I can say he was your size.

He was in the first Bombardment group to fly into Germany where nearly half didn't come back. He served his required missions before they were reduced.

The later half were over No Africa. He was a waist gunner for that time. When he discharged he went on a bond tour with celebs. I know Martha Raye was one he toured with. He instructed 10 miles from where I live. The Avon Park bomb range and Sebring air port (Henderson Field) are where many bomb crews trained.

Sadly, like many veterans today he chose to end his life in his early 30s.
RIP uncle Stan (Pete)

Once again we are reminded of all the young men and in some cases women who came from your country with many who are laid to rest in a foreign field.

This is a dedication at a local airfield close to where I live. It is one of three airfields which USAAF, US Navy and RCAF airman and ground crew served in WW2.

Last edited:
Thanks Doug, and thanks also to Mr. Fould for spending all those years tending a memorial for men he never met, and weren't his own countrymen.

Back
Top Bottom