For those that missed the season ending of Oak Island...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
"The highest-rated show on The History Channel, and the highest-rated show on cable Tuesdays last Tuesday was The Curse of Oak Island–it had more viewers than WWE Smackdown, and more viewers than The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and The Challengecombined.That’s quite an impressive record for a show that is about a lot more digging than finding."

One minute recap...because I know most of you have real lives.

Big hole drilling machine gets way down in hole #3 and finds wood...then hits bedrock.
Marty is done, Rick looks sad, Rick has puppy dog eyes so Marty caves and says they will dig another hole.
Off camera Marty calls Todd Hoffman for advice on how he handles failure and embarrassment on a nationwide scale and successfully resists the urge to kill himself.
Rick doesn't care, he never cares, he is just happy to spend millions of dollars to find clues to add to their growing database of useless knowledge.
The relatives of the first kid to dig for treasure on the island return to bury some ashes made in glass from a sister that died of cancer.
Again they flashback to last year when the sisters showed up with a gold cross that supposedly came from 3 treasure chests the original three found on that first dig.
Again I am flabbergasted that that 3 chest information was new and never mentioned before in original accounts of the first 30' dig of the original three, although finding treasure, (but not treasure chests), was a little fact added years later to the story which probably started all the fuss.

Hole #4 is named for the brother's parents.
They dig.
Along the way professional detector guy finds a gold coin but it turns out it is a gilded button instead....he does not seem embarrassed by this mistake because it held people's attention through a million commercials.
He also finds an old iron needle used to sew sails and there is a story mentioned about using a tool like this to sew dead men's lips shut before they were thrown overboard.
At this point most viewers hope they would use this tool to sew up the narrator's lips but no such luck.

During the show there are more trips to another expert who declares that cross really old gold and that button...an old button.
She mentions the words to the effect, "special and important finds"...but we already knew that.

Hole number four proceeds and all kinds of cool stuff is brought up including some kind of metal plate and a washer that seems to fit one of the holes in that plate...neither particularly rusted to the point that most of the rusted iron I dig up seems to be.
More theories are expounded, the show's catchwords "Could it be?" is always ever present in the backs of everyone's minds.
This season ends, it seems there will be another.

At this point I go looking for some very old flypaper that we found in our house that I hoped was old enough to still have been made with arsenic so I could boil it down and make a nice cup of tea.
I can't find it so I have resigned myself to returning next season to watch what kind of other huge equipment the brothers will bring in to help find that oh so elusive treasure.

Last edited:
How funny is this! I hate this show sooo much! But, I actually watched it last night and was just WAITING for somebody to post about the amazing 2hr long finale!!:laughing::laughing: I was yelling and swearing at the TV screen most of the time, when they would break for commercials!

Oh damn did I get a giggle though! Minelab got in a good plug there..."We couldnt a done it without Gary and his Minelab 3030 CTX"! I bet the 'Lab dealers phones are ringing off the hook! I was so hoping they would get that tool stuck down in the pipe, or get hit by lightening, or something...!

Marty completely folds to Rick...as do the rest of the crew...I guess if you got all sorts of money/investors, its not a bad way to spend it though...Even the Wife said, "Damn! You find more gold with your peepee cheap little rigs hunting totlots than these guys!" I'm like yeah...:laughing:

He also finds an old iron needle used to sew sails and there is a story mentioned about using a tool like this to sew dead men's lips shut before they were thrown overboard.
At this point most viewers hope they would use this tool to sew up the narrator's lips but no such luck.
LMAO !!!:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
More theories are expounded, the show's catchwords "Could it be?" is always ever present in the backs of everyone's minds.
yeah it about sums it up ,

:?: Another clue ? perhaps, from the Knights Templar ?
Or could it be another significant clue to the mystery of what lies below?
( Yeah ! More old smelly wood ! :mad:)
Guess I'll be watching next season too swearing & yelling at the tv

Right DD? What a hyped up mess! Talk about an ordeal suffered! I even flipped over to Anderson Cooper and the Weather Channel in an attempt to gain back a brief bit of sanity! Thats how bad it was!

Mark Twain warned us long ago.."A gold mine is a hole in the ground with a liar on top"..OK sure, He wrote that long before the advent of TV commercial advertising, and had no idea about how far a liar could run!

These 'Oaf Island' guys have taken this concept to a whole 'nother level!...big league unabashadry bullkrap pablum fed to the TV masses by the shovel full!!:laughing::laughing: And they gobble it up like applebutter!!? And ask for seconds even!

I did get a giggle though, and had a comfortable smoke out on the back deck at 11pm after it was all said and done..exhausted by my effort...

Gold is a cruel Mistress..even the dream of her can make a man do strange and stupid things..we can all attest to that! I bet none of us have the kind of gear these guys do...thankfully!..or a guy might be blowing plastic bladders to hold back the tide and rooting around in a damned old swamp for a 50 cent garage sale RR spike! Damn! What a wreck!:laughing: Lookat this Dammit! Conclusive proof! A 'Scupper rail off a Spanish Galleon'! Along with a deck nail! I fussing busted a spleen!......the giggle factor alone was worth the waste of time watching i suppose..

Although...If a guy gets to thinking, comes up with some sort of coccamamie back story about a lost treasure, 'Forrest Fenn', 'Apache Gold' 'Old Dans Treasure'?...and can sell that line to some investors? Possibly TV too? Yeah!..thats where the real treasure is nowadays me buckos!! These two guys have worked a pretty good amount of years pulling scrap wood and a button...gotta give them that....Pirate marketing!

Maybe next season they will be operating entirely Nude?...I'm just throwing this out there...seems to be the format?:laughing:

Last edited:
I was pretty disappointed with the last show.. the week before they say that all the work paid off.. yeah right... they flash a gold coin on the screen for a tenth of a second and the appraisal gal says.. you really got something here... I just knew they had recovered some gold... what a let down...

At this point I go looking for some very old flypaper that we found in our house that I hoped was old enough to still have been made with arsenic so I could boil it down and make a nice cup of tea.

If it is newer non arsenic fly paper, you need to apply some to the back of an old hat for next summer for those biting horse and deer flies. They usually land on the back of your head, fly paper hat rids those nagging sob's while your metal detecting.

http://somethingscrawlinginmyhair.c...-flies-and-black-flies-with-a-tanglefoot-hat/

Thanks Digger for saving me from going for the cup of tea . That was a great write up , I guessing much better then the actual broadcast .:lol: HH

Saw a handful of episodes. Just couldn't get into it. Overheard Gary Drayton, who was on a few episodes, talking to some people at a detecting event talking about the show. Someone asked him if he thought there was any treasure at all.

He said flat out: "No".

2d6.jpg

Who needs TiVo or DVR when we've got DIGGER27? :laughing:

I was reading DIGGER's recap while pretending it was being narrated by Morgan Freeman or James Earl Jones. :laughing:

Do you think they can bring down a casing nearly the same diameter inside the one that's stopped? They can get past the metal layer and continue grabbing.

Back
Top Bottom