Questions for all the Florida members.

Gobble-Gobble

Elite Member
As you all know Barbara & I are selling our home & moving to Fl. We 're not really sure of which area we like the most . Looking into Ocala & west coast area by Northport. We're going to rent for about a yr. to be sure. So any & all help would be appreciated. We are going to Disney in Nov. & if we have a buyer staying longer. Also would like to visit St. Andrews State pk. We have an RV so will will bbe staying in a camp ground in the area.
We also want to visit Shell Island, My question , can you metal detec these two places ?
Tks. Rem

Florida does have only a few quirky rules on Metal Detecting. The state and most county parks are all off limits except for getting a free pass to hunt Fort Desoto State Park near St. Petersburg. I'm not sure about Shell Island as I am not familar with it, but if it is a beach and not a state park its probably fair game. There are specific strict rules for hunting the waters on the East cost so be sure to google those areas before hunting. There is a section along the east cost that you are not allowed to hunt in the water and it is strictly enforced. There are plenty of hunters on this forum that I am sure will chime in. Good luck and an advanced welcome to Florida.

North Port isnt to far from the beaches.... maybe 30 min. Im not a big fan of the larger cities in Fl or the middle of the state. Homes are not to expensive in NP. Some State Parks do allow dry/wet sand detecting.... just not in the water along the coast.

Dew

SW Florida with no doubt,,,lived here all my life and have been from head to toe in Florida,,only other area I myself would consider is pan handle except too many hurricanes,,recomended is Sarasota, Venice, North Port, Englewood, Pt. Charlotte, anything else, is too big of an area for me,,Some parks you can hunt, some you can't. won't matter cause you can drive to them, once you start water dectecting,,you will quickly loose interest in parks,,

Englewood is nice. RV parks in the Sarasota area are expensive. But if you visit there, the place to stay is at Sun/Fun RV park. They have good short stay specials for Campclub USA and Passport America. Not so much with Good Sam. Just the usual 10%. Siesta Key Beach was voted the #1 beach in the USA in 2011

Englewood is nice. RV parks in the Sarasota area are expensive. But if you visit there, the place to stay is at Sun/Fun RV park. They have good short stay specials for Campclub USA and Passport America. Not so much with Good Sam. Just the usual 10%. Siesta Key Beach was voted the #1 beach in the USA in 2011

Tks. for the info going online to ck . it out. :yes:

I'm new to this site, but md the beaches of NE Fl. Our beaches have been re sanded so many times it is hard to find much, just resent drops. We have more cold weather than the areas other have talked about. We can always use more md fans here, so welcome.

I have a place in Vero, love the area! Cant comment on the MD'ing yet....

I stayed in Vero beach a few yrs. back. Two friends & myself flew down & hunted the Treasure coast. The only thing is my wife doesn't like the East coast. Oh well , shes the boss & I'm the horse:laughing:

Happy wife...... happy life. I didnt want to move to Fl, but my wife wanted to be close to her sisters.... where you think i live now? HOWEVER, i insisted i be close to a beach. Compromise, its a beautiful thing.

Dew

,Ocala is getting ruff Ocala Fl ,Earl

Well I have driven thru Ocala, don't know a lot about it. A neighbor of ours moved there in 2006 when the Real Estate was booming. Thought it would answer the prayers and keep their wayward children in-line.

Well that didn't work out. He regrets moving. Says the area is, was, not what he expected. Like Surf Master stated, it is rough. Bad economy means dirt-bags looking for free things you own. If I were you I would head further toward the west coast slower lifestyle. Personally I'm looking toward Flagler Beach for retirement it's a short drive to St Augustine, which I love for it's history etc..

We live in Boca Raton north of Ft Lauderdale. I'm only here due to my career choice. If I could leave I would in a minute. North-easterners with high priced cars, egos and they are sooo much more accomplished than me (ooo wwhooo) are such pretentious a-holes it's unbelievable. Not all, just most. The West Coast people are very nice, please, thank-you and hello's are common. Not here in the south east.

I like the east coast,treasure beaches,try Melbourne beach,vero,sabastian,ect.,stayed down thier 2 weeks in 2010,had a blast,hunted all the treasure beaches,never been on the gulf side,Ocala is getting ruff ,check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYA78ss-B-o Ocala Fl ,Earl

I am extra alert at some beach access points. Sometimes people stay overnight under elevated boardwalks and elevated gazebo areas. One at PCB and one at FWB come to mind.
Florida honors concealed permits from just about every state. I believe the customer had his surprise in his fanny pack. If you are in a vehicle like a motorhome in Florida with no CCW, it is legal to carry a loaded handgun IN THE VEHICLE if it is in a closed container. This can be a glove compartment, console with a lid, closed gym bag or other zippered container, briefcase, handgun case, etc. A loaded handgun can also be in the vehicle out of its container if it is in its holster if the holster has a strap that retains it securely in it. Open carry is not allowed, so don't allow that handgun be visible in plain sight in the vehicle. Do keep your hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel if stopped by police and inform the officer thay you have a sidearm in the car and where it is. Just make sure you follow the law. For more Florida info, Google Florida Firearms Carry Laws.

Do keep your hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel if stopped by police and inform the officer thay you have a sidearm in the car and where it is.

Better yet. Open your window and place both hands outside resting your wrists on the top. Tell the approaching officer. If he pulls his sidearm DO NOT LOSE YOUR PATIENCE. He likely will have you sit as you are until another backup officer arrives. It's for your and his/her well being. It's something you should expect if you feel the need to carry a firearm in this day and age. Besides we live in another country down here in South Florida.

As you all know Barbara & I are selling our home & moving to Fl. We 're not really sure of which area we like the most . Looking into Ocala & west coast area by Northport. We're going to rent for about a yr. to be sure. So any & all help would be appreciated. We are going to Disney in Nov. & if we have a buyer staying longer. Also would like to visit St. Andrews State pk. We have an RV so will will bbe staying in a camp ground in the area.
We also want to visit Shell Island, My question , can you metal detec these two places ?
Tks. Rem

An out and out lie..................I didnt have a clue you were selling your house.........I.m gonna be wintering in Lake Wales again this year. I didnt hunt too much last winter. Just fished a lot........................

Beer.... you fished in Fl. MOst drink a lot and fish a little down here. Since i live in Englewood ive posted signs on all the beaches..... no detecting. But like most political signs ... no one reads them.

Dew

Back
Top Bottom