handy old tricks...

(Heavy)

Elite Member
I don't know why Garret dosent take advantage of this trick and add the equivalent electronics. I know we don't want too much depth capibility with a pin pointer (ie pin point) but this has become habit for me and saves much time and over digging.

Someone should build a pointer with this feature internally, how hard would it be to install a spring loaded slider. Come on Garret it's mostly your patents for this kind of technology , improve upon it already before someone else does it for you.

Digger, sometimes I think my battery is weak when I get no depth, now I suspect it might be the wedding band on my finger inside my glove supertuning the PP :lol:

wedding band, left hand :roll: DOH!

good work, I see the old thread now... my Pin pointer has seen better days :shock:

I don't know why Garret dosent take advantage of this trick and add the equivalent electronics. I know we don't want too much depth capibility with a pin pointer (ie pin point) but this has become habit for me and saves much time and over digging.

I'll have to try that tomorrow !! Thanks for the tip

What exactly his happening here? How does placement of metal behind the business end extended the field? I'm curious from an electrical engineering point of view.

i have a cheapo harbor freight pin pointer. disabled the led to save power. after seeing this trick i fashioned a circular piece of steel out of a window blind bracket, put it on he shaft, adjusted for max range, secured with rubber band. now my 20 dollar pinpointer went from a 1" range to 2 1/2". works great! thanks!

What exactly his happening here? How does placement of metal behind the business end extended the field? I'm curious from an electrical engineering point of view.

There is a hurdle in the signal strength required to overcome the internal squelch setting in the receiver. By putting some metal near the sensor, you establish a certain signal strength so that the remaining signal energy required to overcome the hurdle is smaller.

This gains you detection depth because the required signal energy from the target to overcome the hurdle is less.

Someone should build a pointer with this feature internally, how hard would it be to install a spring loaded slider. Come on Garret it's mostly your patents for this kind of technology , improve upon it already before someone else does it for you.

Yep! Same thing I do also. It seems it add 1-2" more depth.

Back
Top Bottom