This replenished beach I can live with...

18kRonin

Forum Supporter
The day before I visited a few beaches ready to hit the water and found them all sanded in and replenished on the dry making it hard to find anything no trash nothing but black sand so hunted the back of one beach in a weed and grass covered area grinding out a very small 10K diamond ring, 2 silver rings and 27 clad coins in 4 hours so real good.

Went out the next day to my trusty clad beach not good for gold but always good for coins. Got down to the beach and found it replenished to the max up to 4 feet deep of new light colored sand all along the prime hunting spot almost kept going, man had had enough of sanded in replenished beaches before you could see the wet sand from the car park but not anymore.
Anyway decided to check it out finding a heap of pull tabs then checked out a spot that had never been good for coins in the past and found that the guys replenishing the beach had pushed over a lot of old gray dirty sand off the prime area and it was loaded with coins mixed with a lot of trash but real good going not much iron. Kept increasing the sensitivity till it was on max or so I thought :blush2:I have the control pod of the Excal hip mounted behind my back and after I'd finished thought I'd check out the settings as I was really surprised how well the Excal was doing depth wise while keeping a stable thresh hold found out I'd been running in auto for the past hour :shock: forgot about auto being there after the highest setting :D seemed to work really well at the back of the beach in that old sand. That small 1941 1 sen aluminum coin was the find of the day even the new aluminum coins don't last long at the beach but this is the first one I've found and is in surprisingly good condition. The square hole is a 1760s 1 mon and the other two are silver 100 yen coins from the 1960s.
Thanks for viewing.

Put in a cleaned silver coin from an other hunt.
f577813b-1.jpg

0c884ab2-1.jpg

That small coin with a silver dime
3a6115d4-1.jpg

Beautiful assortment of coins there G. The second picture looks good enough to frame and hang on the wall! The 1 sen coin is pretty cool looking- is Mt. Fuji depicted on many other Japanese coins? HH!

Thanks George, putting that silver dime you sent me to good use :yes:
That coin is the only one with Fuji on it and the only war time coin I've found minted in the billions something like 2.3 billion from 1941-1943 think the Government recalled most of them, had a real shortage of aluminum during the war and replaced them with tin ones which most of them will be well and truly toast by now.
There are 4 or 5 other commemorative coins out there with Fuji on them was lucky to find in the water one 500 yen coin commemorating the 1970 world Expo.

306a04fa-1.jpg

Very impressive haul you get from time to time - The impressive amount of coins you get makes me think that 'coin roll trowing' was once a popular sport at your beaches :lol:

I used to put my sensitivity on auto, when my arms get tired, and from there on i only dig shallow targets. Sometimes i forget to turn it back to manual when i begin the next hunt, and then i waste a few hours. - I hate when that happens :laughing:

I've never found coins with square holes in my part of the world... not even the occational 'tourist' coin. I'll definately stop to look closely at the coin, when it happens though.

Good post.

HH

/Steffen

Thats a lot of funny money.... whats the total on those? Nice digs wish they would come out with a dollar Americans liked and would loose a lot of lol. Its a lot of work digging coins but at the end of the day if you have one like you did .... makes ya smile.

Dew

Very impressive haul you get from time to time - The impressive amount of coins you get makes me think that 'coin roll trowing' was once a popular sport at your beaches :lol:
/Steffen

Thanks Steffen, never had it so good over the past 6 months got some good typhoons that pushed around a lot of good stuff and stripped away a lot of sand. Never seen any coins from Denmark looking forward to your posts.
HH

Thats a lot of funny money.... whats the total on those? Nice digs wish they would come out with a dollar Americans liked and would loose a lot of lol. Its a lot of work digging coins but at the end of the day if you have one like you did .... makes ya smile.

Dew

Funny money :lol: Thanks Dew, yeah puts a smile on my face when I get one of those 500 yen coins, most of those coins are 100 yeners which are about a buck 30 each so they add up fast. Got around $130 US for the day which is 6-8 times as much as I would expect to get on dry sand for this time of year.

This was a killer hunt for sure. Hope my hunt tomorrow comes 1/8 of what this hunt was for you. what was the yen total? WOLF

Funny money :lol: Thanks Dew, yeah puts a smile on my face when I get one of those 500 yen coins, most of those coins are 100 yeners which are about a buck 30 each so they add up fast. Got around $130 US for the day which is 6-8 times as much as I would expect to get on dry sand for this time of year.

Dang and I feel great when I find about $4.00 in change... :D

This was a killer hunt for sure. Hope my hunt tomorrow comes 1/8 of what this hunt was for you. what was the yen total? WOLF

About a zillion more than we got on our hunt together :laughing: great meeting up with you Wolf just wish there wasn't so much sand around wasn't counting on all that replenishment.
Got 10,561 yen from the hunt. Good luck out there tomorrow.

Nice lot of coins 18kRonin. Saw one one yen coin and no five and very few ten yen coins. Why is that? Did you discriminate them out or were there just very few where you were hunting?
Great work!

Excellent hunt 18K! Its nice to see such a high yen count this time of the year. Love seeing the old Japanese silver too.

Good luck out there Wolf... hope to hear that you got something good.

18k-great hunt! I love seeing those yen. I lived in Okinawa for a year(military) and that brings me back for sure. I wish I was a detectorist back then, but the machines weren't what they are now.

Back
Top Bottom