• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

got the "ax" today.... twice!

007tallguy

Elite Member
(whoo-hoo, post no. 2000..!!) :D

the weather was perfect this afternoon for a little bit of woods hunting, no flies, nice sunny day, temperature was just right!
i quickly discovered there's still LOTS of leaves and underbrush and gave up on the tangled headphone wire within minutes, haha. :lol:
got a nice mixture of hardwood and softwood behind the house. there's a very OLD stand of softwood, small brook running through it, lost of thick moss and not a whole lot of small bushes growing there since the sunlight can't reach the ground under those big trees.
lots of curious squirrels, chickadees, jays and one doe deer checking me out as i "hunted". they seem to know the difference between a MD and a rifle, haha!

anyway, was searching about 10 feet from the brook and got a fairly strong iron signal and decided to go for it. i unearthed this very old-looking ax head. (maybe "hatchet" would be a better word for it?) it's the type that has the cutting edge on one side and the hammer on the other side. probably was a nail pulling notch on it as well, but the years have taken their toll on it and it's in really hard shape. :( being so close to the brook, i think the constantly wet environment and the years it's been there make it look much older than it really is, but being about 8-9 inches down, there's no doubt that it's been there for quite a while.
was also finding nails.... (yes, in the middle of nowhere), fence staples, pieces of fence wire and other junky stuff.
i was working my way back home and made an eye-ball find of a different kind of pulltab. this one was actually still ATTACHED to the can! i couldn't believe my eyes! :lol::lol: and the can was still full, haha.
it looked like it had been there for a couple of years, but i don't know why it never froze and split open over the past winter or two. :?:
when i poured it out, it still fizzed and smelled alright, lol.

ok, by now i'm within 10 minutes of getting home, still swinging along the way and finding more nails. then i get a really strong iron signal. when i pinpointed on it, it seemed to be a fairly long and narrow target. i started digging at the one end of it, hauled this "thing" out of the ground, and presto.... a pick-ax!!!
at this point, i'm glad i was close to being home.... that thing was one HEAVY carry! it weighed more than my MD and shovel combined! :shock:
all in all, not too bad of an afternoon. no coins, no bullets, a few nails, 2 axes, an ox shoe..... and a beer. :D
and more importantly, a nice enjoyable afternoon in the quiet woods with the chickadees keeping me company every step of the way. (that's what i get for feeding the little fellas.) ;)

thanks for reading. :grin:

Pete

note: not sure if it has any bearing on the age, but the hammer end of the hatchet is octagonal-shaped.

Attachments

• IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 302
  • IMAG0124.jpg
    IMAG0124.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 308
  • IMAG0127.jpg
    IMAG0127.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 309
  • IMAG0131.jpg
    IMAG0131.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 311
  • IMAG0133.jpg
    IMAG0133.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 312
looks like you got your moneys worth out of that Garrett PP.. nice find

No kidding...I'm going to buy my 3rd one this calander year...I must be doing something wrong!

Nice iron finds....I bet they will clean up nice!

it's just hard looking because of the dirt on it.... it does clean up nice. :giggle:
if you mean the black tape, well.... that holds on the toggle switch that's on the underneath side (can't see it in the pic). i had a little mishap with the original switch and had to "improvise" a little bit to get it working again. but it works and is still earning it's keep. :yes: just as long as i don't totally submerge it, it'll be fine for sniffing out many more treasures! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom