Mother of all Caches!

Diggler

Forum Supporter
I decided to repost this here because not many people appear to look in the Cache forum and I cant wait for ideas!

I think I have found the motherlode cache! Maybe. Was detecting a rural park and decided to leave the modern picnic area and take a stroll looking for an older grove and just sample along the way. I saw an area that could have had a house on it in the past. It was very overgrown and snakey looking and I had shorts on so I didn't inspect any further. But I did notice a very large old tree stump not too far away so I headed over to swing the coil. By the way, this was my first day out with the new Cortes. I got a strong 95 signal registering DOLLAR at 7 inches. The stump is covered in poison ivy and not a friendly digging environment. The deeper I dug the bigger around the signal became. I must have dug 18 inches down and wide. Turned up discrimination all the way and still solid 95 signal. The depth meter goes up to 9in but maybe I don't have ground balance perfect? I supertuned and got the meter to go to 8in and flash 9in once and a while. I was also jamming my vibraprobe in as far as I could but still could not pinpoint a signal. I was getting frustrated, mostly because I was covered in poison ivy, and decided to fill hole in and come back more prepared. After getting home and doing some research, I am even more excited that there might be a large cache there. The land was once owned by a wealthy family. I don't know what else it could be, registering that way and that deep. Any ideas? I will keep posting with progress even if it is a beer can cache. There is a lot of rain coming they say but it sure would be nice not to have to go to work on Monday!

That sounds exciting, diggler! I've never been in that situation before but keep us informed as to what happens.

Well I gathered everything I THOUGHT i needed and went back. I didnt think it would be a water main because it was pretty much in the middle of nowhere and under the largest tree stump in sight on the due north side. At about arms length down I hear a signal. Then I had to remove a large piece of asphalt that was way out of place for this area. Then my shovel hits metal, like a coffee can. Then I see red, like a coffee can. But it is thick (like an old coffee can?). Well it wasnt a coffee can. It was more like an old metal sign. I found two sides of it but it wouldnt budge. The other two sides were always just out of reach. Being totally spent I decided to try to punch through the metal to get a peek at the silver and gold inside. Well I finally punched though. Couldnt see anything. Well to make a long story short I rationalized myself into giving up. Dont have any idea what it was or how it got there. If anyone in the DFW area wants to take a stab at it let me know. After I was done I scanned the area to cool down a bit and found two silver necklaces and a silver toe ring in one pile just under the surface. At least I didnt go home empty handed and got lots of exercise. Pics to come soon.

Good story Diggler, at least you got some silver.

What's the deal with your avatar?

Good story...........too bad it didn't have a fairy tale ending!! But good work on the silver......That's exciting too!!

It is a still made from a water heater. For novelty use only of course.

That's pretty cool. Does it produce real novelty drinks?

I have only attempted freeze distillation with some hard cider I made... the results were not stellar.

Even though it looks gold, heres the silver.

White lightnin!

Attachments

• jewelry.jpg
    jewelry.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 900
Nice find Rusty, but would you please fill in the hole.....

Attachments

• sinkhole.jpg
    sinkhole.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 868
Back
Top Bottom