Roseville, Auburn, Sacramento

CarsonChris

Elite Member
It's that time of year again, softball! My daughters team will be jumping over into Cali to play some ball. Looking for someone to hunt with early morning on Saturday, March 9. Places to go? Rules and regs?

It's that time of year again, softball! My daughters team will be jumping over into Cali to play some ball. Looking for someone to hunt with early morning on Saturday, March 9. Places to go? Rules and regs?

I've been to all the regional/parks and schools in Auburn w/out any trouble.

Roseville, I had heard or read you are supposed to get a permit, but I just searched the city website and there's zero mention of a permit, so.... https://www.roseville.ca.us/cms/one.aspx?portalId=7964922&pageId=8945081. I have hunting a little in Roseville without incident. Diggum on here would be good to chime in but haven't seen him posting lately.

Sacramento, I've only done a few parks, no clue on rules :lol: BagelBites, Mascard on here would be good to chime in.

.... Rules and regs?

Well, yes, now that you mention it ........ there IS a rule once you cross the state-line into CA: You must send me 30% of all your finds (I accept paypal).

Also: Don't stick your fingers in light-sockets, and look both ways before you cross the street. Any other questions ? :?:

The parks in Sacramento area had a lot of pressure in the 1970s and '80s. There's still a few that ...... if you've got a good ear.... you can pull some deep old silver out of :)

I emailed Roseville about obtaining a permit earlier this year. No digging allowed, no permit necessary.

Uhhhh, surely you jest. Why did you "email Roseville" ? Was there a "no md'ing law or rule" that you were seeking a "permit" , in order to overcome ? If there isn't any law or rule that says "no md'ing", then there is no need to inquire of "permits" .

Always look up laws and/or rules for yourself. Don't call or email an entity asking "can I metal detect?" or "Is there a permit for ... ?". Lest you become the latest victim of "No one cared till you asked" psychology routine :(

As for "no digging allowed": I got news for you: There's not a SINGLE CITY, in the entire USA, that doesn't ... likewise ... have something similar in their boiler plate minutia. Eg.: "Deface", "alter", "molest", "dig", etc.... If we are to conclude that such verbiage automatically means "no md'ing", then you might as well give it up now. Yet ... oddly ..... as you can see from forum show & tells: There is no shortage of md'rs sporting their latest finds from (gasp) public parks, schools, forests, beaches, etc...

Hence me thinks you are the latest victim of the "safe answer" psychology. If you leave no trace of your presence, then PRESTO: You haven't alterED or defacED anything. Now have you ? :roll: And yes, I would even apply that to "dig" vs "dug" (simple semantics). Will every last person on earth agree with that and roll out red carpets for you ? Of course not. Fine: then go at lower traffic hours and avoid such kill-joys.

What makes this worse is: Guess what will happen when that same Roseville person who answered your "pressing question" (that he/she probably never gave a moment's thought to prior to that) see another md'r out and about ? They'll see the md'r and think "Aha ! there's one of *THEM* ", and start booting others. I've seen this phenomenon happen before (hence a "policy" is born).

Sorry to come down hard on your , but...... just sayin' .... :no:

I would join you, but I work weekends.

I've hunted many parks in both Roseville and Sacramento, and never had a problem. Like Tom said, just go and hunt. The worst that can happen is that you'll be asked to leave, which is a rarity around here.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Roseville

I only got asked to leave one time( Young Guy).. not bad for one in to many to count! There was a permit. While back .. but not now..The metal Decting club hunts there all the time... They are having there meeting this Thursday night.

Uhhhh, surely you jest. Why did you "email Roseville" ? Was there a "no md'ing law or rule" that you were seeking a "permit" , in order to overcome ? If there isn't any law or rule that says "no md'ing", then there is no need to inquire of "permits" .

Always look up laws and/or rules for yourself. Don't call or email an entity asking "can I metal detect?" or "Is there a permit for ... ?". Lest you become the latest victim of "No one cared till you asked" psychology routine :(

As for "no digging allowed": I got news for you: There's not a SINGLE CITY, in the entire USA, that doesn't ... likewise ... have something similar in their boiler plate minutia. Eg.: "Deface", "alter", "molest", "dig", etc.... If we are to conclude that such verbiage automatically means "no md'ing", then you might as well give it up now. Yet ... oddly ..... as you can see from forum show & tells: There is no shortage of md'rs sporting their latest finds from (gasp) public parks, schools, forests, beaches, etc...

Hence me thinks you are the latest victim of the "safe answer" psychology. If you leave no trace of your presence, then PRESTO: You haven't alterED or defacED anything. Now have you ? :roll: And yes, I would even apply that to "dig" vs "dug" (simple semantics). Will every last person on earth agree with that and roll out red carpets for you ? Of course not. Fine: then go at lower traffic hours and avoid such kill-joys.

What makes this worse is: Guess what will happen when that same Roseville person who answered your "pressing question" (that he/she probably never gave a moment's thought to prior to that) see another md'r out and about ? They'll see the md'r and think "Aha ! there's one of *THEM* ", and start booting others. I've seen this phenomenon happen before (hence a "policy" is born).

Sorry to come down hard on your , but...... just sayin' .... :no:

I tried looking up rules for Roseville. Another website had Roseville listed as a city where permits were required. That’s why inquired. From now on I will play the stupid out of towner!

So did you make it out here? Which park did you hunt? Any cool finds?

I did make it down but I didn’t bring the detector. I went Sacramento softball complex. About a 1/2 mile from there I did see a softball/baseball field that has been closed down. The entire park is getting overgrown with weeds. Thought that would be a great place to look. It was on Auburn Blvd just before Watt Ave.

Been there before..was redone a while ago..don"t know why they don't use it?..Think ..I saw them doing some work on it month or so ago....There has to be stuff out in the field past it ..that's the old Freeway!
Are you the one that was hunting..the side walk tear outs there a couple years ago....I stayed in the motel down the street from Mint..got up Sunday morning ..everything was torn out..not a sole in site...Had detector with me ..but was freaked out a little ........Should have detected it.....

Been there before..was redone a while ago..don"t know why they don't use it?..Think ..I saw them doing some work on it month or so ago....There has to be stuff out in the field past it ..that's the old Freeway!
Are you the one that was hunting..the side walk tear outs there a couple years ago....I stayed in the motel down the street from Mint..got up Sunday morning ..everything was torn out..not a sole in site...Had detector with me ..but was freaked out a little ........Should have detected it.....

Not me. I’m new to the hobby. Come to Cali a lot for softball!

Back
Top Bottom