Electrical multimeters

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I have owned and use a number of multimeters but never a Fluke. Was wondering what you all use and your thoughts. Also interested in buying a auto ranging Fluke if any of you want to part with one.

I’ve used a lot of them over the years, if you need precision and lots of useful inputs. Fluke is probably the way to go, but you will pay dearly for that. If you’re just using it around the house you can easily get away with the cheaper models to found on the internet. Having retired from the industry I just bought one for $20 and it meets my needs around the house. Here is a link:
https://www.ebay.com/i/352539150310...3%26rvr_ts%3D44f602dd1690a9c9adf37bcafffc14a5

There are many others out there just as good.

Today I own a cheapy but TexasLurker is right about the Fluke meter. I was a tech for a defense contractor back in the late 80’s/early 90’s (we built sonobouys for the navy) and I used Fluke multimeters for their precision and durability on sea tests.

Several models out there that are pretty cheap will do.
One thing though, some don’t have current measuring capabilities.

I watched a Fluke salesman throw a meter across the room and smack into the wall, full windup baseball pitch, picked it up, touched the terminals together and it beeped. He said"we build tough meters" I believed him. I keep an Ideal meter handy that I'll use for simple stuff, but if you need to know exactly what you have you can't beat a Fluke. I am disappointed that one of the leads shorted out, but that was after 10 years of damn near daily use.

Fluke is the E-Trac of testers. Very good but a bit on the expensive side. I use a Fluke to test my network & devices.

When i was doing electrical work we used fluke electronics and klien hand tools because they were proven. You can’t go wrong with them if you need something that good. I keep my good tester in my etool box and have 3 of the free harbor freights that i use all the time. One in garage, one on work bench and one by my batterys. Same ones that sold for $25 at box stores. They do what i need most of the time and they’re disposable (loaner/gifts).

If I were to buy something new now, it would likely be Fluke.
For now, my old Amprobe is doing most of what I require.

I have several meters. I have a AC clamp meter that's a Fluke, and it works well. I also have a high-end Agilent multimeter, which is a good company, but Fluke seems to be the industry standard. There's a youtube channel that reviews test equipment, but I forget the guy's name (he's Australian).

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom