Got one on the return

jkbemdavis

Elite Member
As usual I made the next day return to the bank and asked the usual question, “Do you have any unusuals, large dollar coin, or halves?” I almost always get a negative response, but this time there were three halves. I told the teller I would take them, and saw the correct tint to one of them. It’s dirty, but silver. I’m glad I asked.

Attachments

• 65BD0F08-0972-429A-ACB5-730BC27CC82A.jpg
    65BD0F08-0972-429A-ACB5-730BC27CC82A.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 167
When I was roll hunting back in the late 1970’s the Hunt brothers were buying all the silver they could. They manipulated the price into the high $40 mark. 40% halves were not that desirable because of their lower purity and refining costs. Later when the Hunts were busted and the silver market crashed, 40% silvers held little value over face for almost 30 years.

Back around 2007 market fears brought the silver price back into action once again, and we saw silver rise back towards the high $40 mark. This time however, 40% halves became more popular with stackers and could now command a decent price. I’m not sure why, but I don’t think they go to the smelter. I believe they are now just being hoarded and if sold, only changing hands. I’ve sold hundreds in the past, but with low prices nowadays I’ve been keeping all that I find.

Big coins are just not common! Tellers rarely get them.
I agree KT, they seldom seem to have them.
Congrats on the 40%er! :woot:

I always ask as well, and the second time I got these: Lots of Silver & Other Cool Finds. :shock: Post was from 2017.
Keep asking Wolf-Dog, clearly it has proven to be successful, even if that was a few years ago.
When I was roll hunting back in the late 1970’s the Hunt brothers were buying all the silver they could. They manipulated the price into the high $40 mark. 40% halves were not that desirable because of their lower purity and refining costs. Later when the Hunts were busted and the silver market crashed, 40% silvers held little value over face for almost 30 years.

Back around 2007 market fears brought the silver price back into action once again, and we saw silver rise back towards the high $40 mark. This time however, 40% halves became more popular with stackers and could now command a decent price. I’m not sure why, but I don’t think they go to the smelter. I believe they are now just being hoarded and if sold, only changing hands. I’ve sold hundreds in the past, but with low prices nowadays I’ve been keeping all that I find.
I think you’re onto something Amc-Rulz, to my knowledge, the smelting companies aren’t interested in anything less than 90% silver,but collectors will buy them so I’m definitely willing to grab them up when I come across them.

Back
Top Bottom