Today is a banner day in history for treasure hunters of all ages!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_Jack

On this day in 1912 Cracker Jack started inserting toy surprises in their boxes.
At first small metal objects that seems insane in this modern safety conscious era but they evolved to baseball cards, other metal and plastic toys and beyond as the years went on.

One of my favorite dug finds ever was a tiny little tank that I believe was a Cracker Jack hidden treasure from the early part of the last century.

I wonder how many of us got their first treasure hunting experience looking for that prize and if it made such an impression we eventually got into this hobby?

Attachments

• 712b560d5274438ab4f0ed883bdf8058.jpg
    712b560d5274438ab4f0ed883bdf8058.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 275
  • P1030054.jpg
    P1030054.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 244
Great post.
When I was a kid I was a Cracker Jack Junkie, breakfast lunchtime, afternoon snack, dinner time, or late night snack didn't matter.

Grandma always had an ample supply of the
pea-nutty golden Carmel goodness,
she would even buy the bigger sized boxes.

The prizes were metal but soon replace with plastic ones and then later paper stickers/tattoos.
Well sailors get tattoos...
trying to remember some of the prizes I received from that paper pouch...
a plastic magnifying glass, a plastic trophy "cup"....

I found perhaps the best prize they ever gave out....
Anybody remember when Slim Pickens was captured by the Japanese in the movie 1941 ?
I still have it a small metal compass!

6cd577cf4dc004f4ccc60bb1da21fcf0.jpg

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thats a COOL tank there D27! Yeah...there was an eerie excitement involved with those little CrackerJack prizes! Superb Marketing! That early 'thrill' experienced during our formative years when our brains were still soft may be responsible for todays Gambling addiction? In an effort to regain our Childhood joy of the unknown?

..One of my earliest childhood memories involved a CrackerJack prize....It was a little saw replica ...back in 1963....For some reason, I took it over to my Mothers Piano and gave it a go! It was just plastic, but it actually cut a pretty nice groove right down in the top edge!! Amazing! I wasnt allowed any access to edged tools for a good long while...The damage I did with that little plastic saw, Imagine what I could do with a butter knife?:laughing:

PS: I do remember that movie 1941 DD! Hollis Wood swallowed that CrackerJack compass! "Whatcha doing with that knife boy?":laughing: Thats a hell of a CJ trophy there too!

Yep, I miss those. I had a fair collection of metal and plastic ones in the early 70's, my happy 1'st. ex wife gave them away. I still remember them. joe

That tank looks like it survived fairly okay considering how long it likely was in the dirt !

I like that compass prize, I may have gotten something like that back then, I really liked the prizes that actually did stuff !

Yep, Cracker Jack used to have neat prizes !

Here is what we wish would be a Cracker Jack prize :laughing::laughing::laughing:
cjackprize.jpg

Last edited:
It was always a treat getting a box of Cracker Jack and digging for that prize...not to mention the munch :D That tank and compass are neat! Once I found a couple of aluminum Presidential tokens at an old farmhouse that were marked "Cracker Jack" but were pretty eaten up from the soil.

This thread just reminded me of another past source for neat free prizes
.......boxes of CEREAL !

I remember as a kid a major factor in deciding what kind of cereal to get on any given week was what the FREE PRIZE inside was ! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Today I'd definitely buy a box of cereal if it had this prize inside :laughing::laughing::laughing:
cerealprize2.jpg cerealprize3.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_Jack

On this day in 1912 Cracker Jack started inserting toy surprises in their boxes.
At first small metal objects that seems insane in this modern safety conscious era but they evolved to baseball cards, other metal and plastic toys and beyond as the years went on.

One of my favorite dug finds ever was a tiny little tank that I believe was a Cracker Jack hidden treasure from the early part of the last century.

I wonder how many of us got their first treasure hunting experience looking for that prize and if it made such an impression we eventually got into this hobby?

Here is a similar one I just found on ebay, it looks like they came in different colors.
s-l1600.jpg

Here is a similar one I just found on ebay, it looks like they came in different colors.
View attachment 376922

I believe they did...red, green, blue...maybe some other colors.
From researching I found info that says early metal Cracker Jack toys were made in Japan but by the 20's or 30's the Toootsietoy co. were making them.
They were so successful at this they also started making the Monopoly pieces.

My tank was found next to a big tree at a site that had history going back early in the last century as a cub and boy scout camp.
I can see a scout sitting next to this tree in its younger days eating a box, getting this great prize and then losing it.

I found perhaps the best prize they ever gave out....
Anybody remember when Slim Pickens was captured by the Japanese in the movie 1941 ?
I still have it a small metal compass!

6cd577cf4dc004f4ccc60bb1da21fcf0.jpg

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I do remember that, very funny. Recall a few minutes after he swallowed the compass? Prune Juice!! :lol:

Back in the summer I dug a penny and this plastic funny viewer was in the hole with the. I remember getting those out of crackerjack boxes when I was young

Attachments

• 003 (640x480).jpg
    003 (640x480).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 170
Back
Top Bottom