Harbor freight centech pinpointer

About finished modding mine, still a couple things left to do.

FYI you can increase the range about 1/4" inch by removing the end cap and trimming the PVC down right to the ferrite rod. Then trim the end cap the same amount and stick it back on.

Mods done so far:

• Shortened probe
  • Shortened end cap to rod
  • Added resistor & motor
  • Removed LED light
  • Remote probe housing
  • On/off switch on probe
  • On/off switch for speaker

Spend about $2 so far on PVC. The rest I either had or a friend of mine gave me (resistor, motor). Thermistor I'll be adding soon as well as sealing it up. I'll also be attaching it to my detector shaft.

Wow! Nice work. I did all mine, with function in mind, so not real pretty to look at. Never really expected to get 4 years and counting out of mine. It did get to rest for a while, when I used the Garrett, but only about 7 months, before it was back to work, while I was enjoying that fantastic Garrett Customer Service. Then It got another 6 months, before the second fail of the Best Pinpointer on Earth. The Centech does just what I need from a pinpointer, nothing more, nothing fancy.

For the price, it's really cool to modify to better suit your needs. No exotic or SMD components, so any repairs will be easy enough to do, but probably wouldn't bother, since it's not that expensive to start over, and do better on a fresh unit. Been keeping an eye on issues with those high dollar pointers, might grab one eventually. Expect some will drop to a more reasonable price, lots of choices, beyond the ProPointer.

Really enjoy all the great depth, quicker recovery responses, to justify buying $100+ tool. Sort of funny, since I don't always need to use a pinpointer, target just spills out of the plug, or sitting in the hole. Our soil, is like beach sand, unless we've had a good soaking rain, it falls apart easy, just the roots holding it together. I get a pretty good idea how deep, and position, while standing up, plan my plug to give an inch or two space, so not to damage the target. Obviously more than an inch or two range on a pinpointer isn't needed. Thing I hated most (besides the falsing), with the Garrett, is it beeps on anything in range, like bits of rusted nails, I discriminated out. True, the Centech doesn't discriminate either, but, least I can get it right in, where the target should be, before it starts beeping, no need to detune (several times), to get past the iron. Different tools, for different dudes.

Back
Top Bottom