• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Broken Handles issue

I find it interesting that just in the past few years scoop handles seem to be a problem for the newer hunters. Over the years we have used whatever worked from the heavy P Millers, to aluminum handles that your hands didn't get black because you were in the water, to shovel handles that were replaced ever year or two, no big deal. We replace batteries, nobody complains, we replace coil covers or coating, nobody complains, we replace worn out battery holders, nobody complains. But have to repair or replace a $10. scoop handle you would have thought gold dropped back to $32. an ounce :lol:

I couldn't agree more Chuck... in 8 years of hunting I have never broken or bent a scoop handle where it was wooden or aluminum ;)

I find it interesting that just in the past few years scoop handles seem to be a problem for the newer hunters. Over the years we have used whatever worked from the heavy P Millers, to aluminum handles that your hands didn't get black because you were in the water, to shovel handles that were replaced ever year or two, no big deal. We replace batteries, nobody complains, we replace coil covers or coating, nobody complains, we replace worn out battery holders, nobody complains. But have to repair or replace a $10. scoop handle you would have thought gold dropped back to $32. an ounce :lol:

Well said.....funny but true.

Before I discovered the bent handle that Chuck came out with I used to use wheel barrow handles I got at Ace Hardware on my SunSpot scoops simply because they were longer and I could make them square which kept them from slipping in my hands in the water. I would run them through my table saw to about 1 3/8 inches square and knock off the edge with a 1/2 inch round over bit in my router. I have never broken one of these handles in years of hunting pretty much 4-6 days a week 365. I coated these with several layers of polyurethane and painted the top part blaze orange. They were cheap, they floated and worked like a dream and if Chuck had not come out with the bent handle aluminum one THAT FLOATS I would still be using them.
I did make one Mod to the handle though as I have a problem with round handles twisting in my wet hands-I glued some plastic strips along the 4 points N-E-S-W about 15 inches along the upper shaft and painted the top high vis orange

Attachments

• scoop handle 1.jpg
    scoop handle 1.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 193
  • scoop handle 2.jpg
    scoop handle 2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 193
Just what I was talking about Pete, we made and did what worked for us and it lasted for years. I used heavy shovel handles sanded square at the bottom to fit the scoop and hockey stick tape on the handle. I never had one of those break either, but did have one getting weak before I changed it.

Before we only had a few scoop manufactures to choose from (Chuck the scoop guy, being one of the old and GOOD ones) and most worked fine. Now that we have a gold rush going on, more and more are wanting to cash in on it, some with making and copying others scoops designs. With more scoops comes more complaints. Me, I'll stay with the old tried and true American scoops that have dug me a lot of gold over the years.

Thats looks sharp Erikk. Is that a bungy? How you got it tied there.... rubber bands? You having to adjust the way you use that scoop now.... having to pop it rather than pull straight up? That scoop looks like it holds a lot of product.... popping one that has the small holes might be a chore.... but im still looking at it. I know you dont dig those tiny targets lol.

Dew

Thats looks sharp Erikk. Is that a bungy? How you got it tied there.... rubber bands? You having to adjust the way you use that scoop now.... having to pop it rather than pull straight up? That scoop looks like it holds a lot of product.... popping one that has the small holes might be a chore.... but im still looking at it. I know you dont dig those tiny targets lol.

Chuck. What does the Stealth 8 weight without any type of handle? Just the scoop and all it's hardware. Thanks.

It's just a different generation.Everyone sent their kids to school so they "Don't have to work as hard as I did" is what I remember everyone saying. Now almost nobody wants to work hard at all. They are probably working on a water detecting IPhone app or a wii game now so they don't have to leave the house.If anyone out there wants to develop either just cut me in for 10%.I would do it but it sounds like too much work :lol:
Just my useless 2¢

Starv

Good Link starv, and just a short drive from Home Base...thanks joe
This link is hanging on my site for a year .... :)
ps: I have even carbon fiber (of the broken mast for wind surfing for $ 400) but I love my ash under paraffin ... :)

Starv

Good Link starv, and just a short drive from Home Base...thanks joe

I contacted them about a week ago to find out if they sell to the public and sell single lengths....they do not. They sent me a list of suppliers in my geographical area and I contacted all of them, to no avail.

I contacted them about a week ago to find out if they sell to the public and sell single lengths....they do not. They sent me a list of suppliers in my geographical area and I contacted all of them, to no avail.

Thanks for that info, because I was thinking the same thing about that company. They're just not in a position to make special orders for single handles to the general public.

Ruslan, you should remove that link on your website. It's useless....:(

Raphis

Ruslan, you should remove that link on your website. It's useless....:(

Raphis

Raphis, I wouldn't say that. They have an awesome product and that link gives all the different diameters and wall thickness and would be an excellent addition to our scoops, ( if you choose to go that way ).

I only said that the dealers in my area couldn't help. Strongwell manufactures MANY other fiberglass products and the dealers I contacted ( in my area ) did not carry the rods.

I apologize that I didn't make it clearer.

Raphis. I have heard positive comments about pens from this manufacturer.
They were purchased from local dealers.

Okay, I understand what you're saying now. You were clear in your reply; I misunderstood. NuplaCorp and Hisco-OKC are also designing pultruded fiberglass handles. I don't think they sell to the general public either. I would love to find a fiberglass handle for my scoop also. Both you and I agree, though, they're not easy to purchase.

A new shovel with a fiberglass handle is $11.00 bucks at home depot. A dumel tool will cut the pin out in less 1 than minute.

I'm just saying!:D

Ames 46 in. Fiberglass Square Point Shovel
Model # 1533700
Internet # 202054948
Store SKU # 669612
$10.97 /EA-Each

Back
Top Bottom