Question About Hunting Civil War Campsite

Squeaker

I've got permission to hunt property in the (I think) area of a Union campsite. The owner told me he has allowed other people some years back to hunt it. He said they found a few bullets, but only came back once so it must not have been a real great hunt. They stayed to one corner of one field. The property itself is good sized, probably 30 acres bordering bluffs and a creek

I was wondering if there was a plan of attack to use in guessing where might be the best place to start. The other men hunted down towards a pond and the creek...down the hill. I figured on top of the hills would be a better place to start, but Idk. Any help would be appreciated.

CIVIL122.JPG

My experience has always been they never camped directly on top of a hill. To visible, to easy to hit...etc. They would camp close to a water source.

I guess it was not going to happen today. I talked to the landowner again and got a little more background about what they knew. I finally got parked and started swinging my F2 and it started jumping from one reading to the next. I think it needs to be sent in for repairs. I tried new batteries and a different coil, noting helped. Maybe I'll have better luck later.

look in the creek and edges of the pond for bottles!! then send them to me because they'll be junk and I'll take care of them for you. :)

nice place to hunt. you guys/girls down south have some nice places to hunt.

my F2 and it started jumping from one reading to the next. I think it needs to be sent in for repairs. I tried new batteries and a different coil, noting helped. Maybe I'll have better luck later.

did you try and turn-down the sensitivity? how about notching?

looks like a nice place to hunt :cool:
also, I'd start at the high ground, chances are, that's where they'd make there camp.

First of all, I wouldn't stop hunting till I had hunted all 30 acres. I hunt in all metal most all the time. Unless the creek has a high bank, there will be lots of trash near it. Washed down when there is high water. Hunt kinda fast till I start getting signals. When I find a CW relic, I grid it off, hunt very slow, and dig everything. I use a 4 inch spade, cut a ring around whatever it is that I am digging, flip the big clod over, recover, flip it back over, and step on it till its flat. Unless you look real good, you can't see where I've been. I can dig many many holes in a day. Done this for over 40 years. Hard to tell you where to hunt because land changes over the years. When you hunt all 30 acres, you will be able to piece together where all the campsites were and how the land has changed. Hope you find lots of good stuff. HH.

I guess it was not going to happen today. I talked to the landowner again and got a little more background about what they knew. I finally got parked and started swinging my F2 and it started jumping from one reading to the next. I think it needs to be sent in for repairs. I tried new batteries and a different coil, noting helped. Maybe I'll have better luck later.

I know you changed coils, but make sure the coil connector is firmly seated and screwed in fairly tightly. Also if you're wearing a phone, leave it in the car--mine freaks my F2 out every few minutes. As Randy said, turn the sensitivity down until the signals stop if the first measures didn't work. Finally, you're sure you weren't just hitting multiple targets from the camp site, aren't you? :)

Good luck and I hope you find some nice relics!

If bullets were found there stay with it. This could just have been a picket post or the edge of the camp. Check on the eastern side of the hill also. 30 acres is a nice chunk especially if it was a small camp. I have found 2 camps one was confederate and one was union during the gettysburg campaign and both were on the top of a hill and on the eastern slope. Reasoning was the sun rise in the morning was warmer there. Good luck

I don't believe your detector is wrong at all! Especially if its a cheaper detector! I think it may have just been picking up a lot of square nails or bullets! I used to think my detector was a piece of !!!! because on one side of my property it beeped every time i swung it! Turns out there are hundreds of square nails and other artifacts in the vicinity! I believe in your case its just an overload of artifacts! CONGRATS! It might be worth it just to get a sieve and just dig about a foot down in as much area as you can cover! just leave the detector next to the hole and dig and expand the hole! Any questions PM me.

I've got permission to hunt property in the (I think) area of a Union campsite. The owner told me he has allowed other people some years back to hunt it. He said they found a few bullets, but only came back once so it must not have been a real great hunt. They stayed to one corner of one field. The property itself is good sized, probably 30 acres bordering bluffs and a creek

I was wondering if there was a plan of attack to use in guessing where might be the best place to start. The other men hunted down towards a pond and the creek...down the hill. I figured on top of the hills would be a better place to start, but Idk. Any help would be appreciated.

From Arkansas myself would love to hunt with you sometime. Hope you find some good relics. Cant wait to find some relics myself someday!!

Turn the F2 on but leave your finger on the button for about 10 seconds...this is a factory reset and will straighten out most problems if you are indeed having problems.
Turn the sense down if you need to, the F2 still will go pretty deep even on 1 bar.
Take the sniper coil with you if you have one.
It can isolate and get between targets better and perfect for trashy sites.

I ended up sending the F2 down to Texas, hopefully they can figure something out. I'm kind of scared though, I didn't have a receipt so I'll be charged for repairs, I'm OK with that as long as it doesn't come to what a new detector costs. I've talked to the farmer some more and I have a good idea where I'm gonna go once it cools off. I'm sure not going out right now, the hay isn't cut and it's humid as all get out. That field does not look like a fun place to be right now. Trust me, y'all will be the SECOND ones to know if I find something come this fall :D

I hope it gets fixed, however, I have read enough posts about the f2 not working and I think most of the issues deal with new users. You have to lower sensitivity, get all media devices away from the unit, make sure the connection is tight, make sure your not near transformers and power utilities, make sure you have the coil wire wrapped correctly, check your batteries etc etc. Take the batteries out and re-install them . I just can't see all these problems with the f2 and then we have others who love the machine including myself. Finally - READ DIGGERS POSTS on the MACHINE or any machine your using

Hope it gets fixed and stick with it.

I hope you at least tested your machine at a different site before sending it in for repairs, all of my machines do exactly what you described while hunting cw camps.. Theres thousands of targets at most camps & you just have to decide what to dig...

Be sure you don't have your cell phone on the side you swing on. My F2 will freak out if it gets close to my Galaxy S4. My Galaxy S (upgraded a few months ago) was ok, but the newer phone can interfere with it in a big way if it gets close to the control box.

I have all you guys beat!!! I don't have a cellphone!!! No Worries for good ole demy with the interference and a phone call while I am digging that 20gram gold ring!!!:D

Back
Top Bottom