Minelab Safari vs Garrett AT Pro

Supadupame

Hello people.
In few days i will buy my first metal detector but cant choose between Safari and AT pro. I am from Europe and would need beside those coins semi surface (and other stuff =)) also something for more early eras (i study archaeology) but all kind of possible findings, not just coins.
Maybe deeper and more sensitive? As i saw AT pro is somewhat newish and has good new technology and Minelab as read is more known for their better depth. But Safari is already 2 years old (i think?) so might be AT pro more up to date -better? And i dont mind if the are easy or moderate to learn.
I am searching for infos all over the internet but cant find the comparison between both (all i found is loads of satisfied users on both sides =)). And i got on this forum lots of other useful infos. So i ask here humbly for some help please.

So anyone knows about deep relic hunting with these two, how goes?

Beside that i just read that Nautilus DMC 2B and Tesoro Tejon are best relich hunters (but they dont have nice electronic display =(). So any info about that ?=)

I can't speak for the Safari because I've yet to own one. I have owned the E-Terra 70, the Explorer SE Pro the Sovereign GT and the E-Trac all by Minelab. My experience has been that Minelab is a very tough nut to crack when it comes to flat out depth, especially on high conductive coins. I.E. Copper and Silver.

The AT Pro I think has an advantage in the gold department. While all the Minelabs I've used have been superior for coins, low conductive targets, such as gold, give them a little tougher time. The AT Pro excels at small gold, and does a fair job on deep high conductive targets.

Thanks for nice info. Just one more question. Safari have multi frequency (1.5-100) and AT PRO just 1 (15). So which one is better, when and why?
With my logic Safari should be much better since 15 is very low compared to 100 and also it can have less. And following this .... if i want deeper detector i should look for higher frequency?

It is a bit confusing when looking at the Minelab frequency system. Little is actually known about how Minelab uses it multiple frequencies, and they protect that information pretty well. You're correct in the idea that the Minelab looks better in theory, but higher doesn't necessarily mean deeper in all cases.

Lower frequencies have better ground penetration for the same amount of power than higher frequencies, but higher frequencies are more sensitive to small low conductive/gold targets, and can go deeper in heavily mineralized ground. So you see choosing the right detector for your needs is not always a easy task. Minelab advertises it's FBS covers from 1.5 KHZ up to 100 KHZ which, in theory, should make it better than any single frequency detector, but my experience has shown that is not always true.

The Minelab FBS does extremely well at going deep on high conductive targets(Copper & Silver) but in my opinion a little weak in the low conductive/gold area. This leads me to believe the FBS uses the lower frequencies better than the higher. Also you've got to remember that sometimes concentrating power on a single frequency works better than multiple frequencies. Again it all depends on the conditions and what you're hunting for. This is why there is no such thing as "the best detector" for all hunting, people or conditions.

If my plans were to hunt mainly deep coins at schools parks and private land, then I'd go with a Minelab. If my plans were to hunt mainly tot lots beaches for jewelry, then the AT Pro is going to work best. Relic hunting? I think both can do equally well. Prospecting? I'd give the edge to the AT Pro which really seems to like small gold.

Thats not to say that the Safari won't do well on gold or that the AT Pro won't do well on deep coins, I'm just giving what I see is the strong, and weak, points of each. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
Thank you Detector very much, you solved my problem =). So i decided for AT PRO but on another forum (since i am also quite interested in depth) someone mentioned garrett Infinium as very good detector (except no fancy display and doesnt tell you how deep is it =)). Any thoughts on that? And in general, how much it could be deeper? 100%? Less? More?

The Garrett Infinium is very deep because it is a PI(pulse Induction) detector. Problem is they are designed for water hunting and would be a nightmare at the local school, park or normal dirt hunting.

I am ordering AT PRO =), cant wait to go for first hunting =O (on family garden ofc.=)).

Hello,

I am in the same position as you are...torn between the Safari and the AT pro and have been trying to gather as much information as I can. AS luck would have it a buddy of mine got a AT pro and I have had the chance to use it. He actually let me run a full day with it!!

My observations on AT pro:

DEPTH- Good, where I live the soil is highly mineralized with lots of iron in the ground. So far the deepest coin with at pro for me is 8 inches on a penny and the signal was very clear with no distortion.

RECOVERY SPEED- Very fast, the faster you swing the deeper it goes with great target seperation which surprised me for such a large coil.

LEARNING CURVE- At first I only ran it in standard mode...all the noises from pro mode where a little intimidating. After aquiring a target I would then double check it in pro mode and hit the iron audio....Once I got used to it (about an hour) I never left pro mode. It becomes very easy to ignore the trash and only dig solid targets once you get used to it.

PINPOINTING- Not good. One of my first detectors was the ace 250 and I did not like how you had to make it p.point effectively. That being said, I like the ace 250 pinpoint mode better than the at pro. If you are digging a deep hole pinpointing is VERY important otherwise you will start digging trenches. After a while I just ignored the pinpoint feature and would X my targets and dig.

TRASH ID- Amazing!! With this machines audio I have not dug any pulltabs or standard bottle caps and very little other trash. The only thing that fools this machine on a consistent basis is the longish screw on bottlecaps (like on a quart of beer or from old large soda bottles) First half of the day I dug all targets to get a comparison. After you learn to trust this machine and you are not in a "good" target rich environment you will almost get bored ONLY because you are not digging trash:) LOL< amazing!!

DURABILITY-great!! This is a well built machine and I have not experienced any of the falsing problems as others nor did I have any difficulty with any of the connections as others have.

BALANCE/WEIGHT- Poorly balanced unit!! It hardly weighs anything BUT after using it for an extended period you will hate it. I know they sell an aftermarket (fixit) for this and I hope it works well. I am in good physical condition and have swung heavier detectors all day long with no arm fatigue...this thing?? I had to switch arms periodically throughout the day just to continue.

FINAL THOUGHTS- I tested it on gold...Incredible depth and response. This unit is waterproof which is very nice as it rains where I am all the time and you could also go water hunting which sounds fun to me. If I get the safari, I will miss more gold and have to get a enviro cover for the rain. The safari weighs more but is better balanced I hear and is deeper on coins. Only other consideration for me is I enjoy listening to the flute tones more than at pro in pro mode, I actually like the bell tones in standard mode but it not efficient to hunt that way and keep switching modes. I would dig more trash with the safari also BUT I have heard its pinpointing is very good which would mean quicker retreivals. AND the safari while on sale now is like still 300$ more.

Bottom line, I like alot of the features the AT pro has but I am about willing to forego them until garret produces a later model and adresses some of the issues. The innovation on the at pro is amazing...water proof with a LED display..AND not digging trash!!? Incredible...but my frustration with balance (and arm pain) and pinpoint mode is leaning toward a safari.

Sorry, long review and everyone has a diff experience on this machine..just wanted to give you the benefit of my insight to help since we are both looking at the same machines.

HH,
Monolyth

Hello,

I am in the same position as you are...torn between the Safari and the AT pro and have been trying to gather as much information as I can. AS luck would have it a buddy of mine got a AT pro and I have had the chance to use it. He actually let me run a full day with it!!

My observations on AT pro:

DEPTH- Good, where I live the soil is highly mineralized with lots of iron in the ground. So far the deepest coin with at pro for me is 8 inches on a penny and the signal was very clear with no distortion.

RECOVERY SPEED- Very fast, the faster you swing the deeper it goes with great target seperation which surprised me for such a large coil.

LEARNING CURVE- At first I only ran it in standard mode...all the noises from pro mode where a little intimidating. After aquiring a target I would then double check it in pro mode and hit the iron audio....Once I got used to it (about an hour) I never left pro mode. It becomes very easy to ignore the trash and only dig solid targets once you get used to it.

PINPOINTING- Not good. One of my first detectors was the ace 250 and I did not like how you had to make it p.point effectively. That being said, I like the ace 250 pinpoint mode better than the at pro. If you are digging a deep hole pinpointing is VERY important otherwise you will start digging trenches. After a while I just ignored the pinpoint feature and would X my targets and dig.

TRASH ID- Amazing!! With this machines audio I have not dug any pulltabs or standard bottle caps and very little other trash. The only thing that fools this machine on a consistent basis is the longish screw on bottlecaps (like on a quart of beer or from old large soda bottles) First half of the day I dug all targets to get a comparison. After you learn to trust this machine and you are not in a "good" target rich environment you will almost get bored ONLY because you are not digging trash:) LOL< amazing!!

DURABILITY-great!! This is a well built machine and I have not experienced any of the falsing problems as others nor did I have any difficulty with any of the connections as others have.

BALANCE/WEIGHT- Poorly balanced unit!! It hardly weighs anything BUT after using it for an extended period you will hate it. I know they sell an aftermarket (fixit) for this and I hope it works well. I am in good physical condition and have swung heavier detectors all day long with no arm fatigue...this thing?? I had to switch arms periodically throughout the day just to continue.

FINAL THOUGHTS- I tested it on gold...Incredible depth and response. This unit is waterproof which is very nice as it rains where I am all the time and you could also go water hunting which sounds fun to me. If I get the safari, I will miss more gold and have to get a enviro cover for the rain. The safari weighs more but is better balanced I hear and is deeper on coins. Only other consideration for me is I enjoy listening to the flute tones more than at pro in pro mode, I actually like the bell tones in standard mode but it not efficient to hunt that way and keep switching modes. I would dig more trash with the safari also BUT I have heard its pinpointing is very good which would mean quicker retreivals. AND the safari while on sale now is like still 300$ more.

Bottom line, I like alot of the features the AT pro has but I am about willing to forego them until garret produces a later model and adresses some of the issues. The innovation on the at pro is amazing...water proof with a LED display..AND not digging trash!!? Incredible...but my frustration with balance (and arm pain) and pinpoint mode is leaning toward a safari.

Sorry, long review and everyone has a diff experience on this machine..just wanted to give you the benefit of my insight to help since we are both looking at the same machines.

HH,
Monolyth

:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom