Who all has found gold rings with the equinox ?

ohiochris

Elite Member
What did they ID as ?

I am starting to hunt strictly for them now and then and notching out everything else. I think I have a pretty good range with 8 to 13 the only thing accepted by the detector , that should cover most of them I think. My wedding band rings up at 8 ....nickels and pulltabs are 13.....huge lot of trash in between. I know its possible for them to come in higher than 13 and maybe even lower than 8 ,....but there are just too many targets to dig

I've had them read as high as 17-18 for really large gold. 8-13 probably gets best trash to treasure ratio, but you're leaving gold in the dirt. Big gold.

BCD

The only one I dug with a scoop (so I knew TID before digging) was a solid 8. The rest have been recovered with a dredge so I never saw was TID went with what target.

I've had them read as high as 17-18 for really large gold. 8-13 probably gets best trash to treasure ratio, but you're leaving gold in the dirt. Big gold.

BCD

I just dont know how i would dig all these targets going as high as 18. It would be insane unless there isnt a lot of trash. The more trash there is the more i have to narrow the target choices

I've only found two with the nox, a 5.6 gram 14k that I just found last Sunday. It came in at a solid 17. My very first time out with the nox I found a big 14.6g 10k class ring (that I returned) and it rang up just like a zinc penny alternating between 20 and 21. Out of my collection of gold rings that I've found with other detectors the smallest one air tested at 3 if I remember correctly. They're not always solid TIDs either because of the compressed range of the nox. Some will alternate numbers, but so far it's only been two sequential numbers.

Attachments

• 20180308_185447_HDR.jpg
    20180308_185447_HDR.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,589
  • 20180722_145054_HDR.jpg
    20180722_145054_HDR.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,572
Range 7-17 should capture most gold rings.

Folks should experiment with sensitivity setting. It could be used when set as a discriminator of sorts for depth. Fresh ring drops would be shallow. Lot shallower than some tabs. Folks should experiment. Sped setting too used in conjunction could help make Nox shallower or deeper. And those settings can be changed and a target swept to help figure how shallow or deep the suspect target is.

If ground is real dry and digging deeper or bigger plugs is troublesome, one can always go to a site where folks congregate and think shallow hence run Nox to be shallow.

Finding rings can be a numbers game. A person should be able to dig more shallow holes vs more deeper holes over the same time period. So one’s odds digging shallow holes could be higher for a ring find.

So far nothing but lots of pull tabs and foil and a piece of what looks to me like a junk earring with red stones in it. I cant tolerate much more than an hour digging this many trash items within just a few feet. But I have given myself the challenge to devote a short while each time out to just gold range. Its not the best place for this because of the trash density , but the amount of people who have gathered and spent time there over the decades makes jewelry very likely , and I did find a 14k mens wedding band there a few years ago.

I have been thinking though , because of such a high trash density I might do better if I pick what appears to be the most common ID and select that one ....one above and one under , notch everything else out ,....if that might actually give me better results in this situation. Digging a broader range of targets dont help if I cant get to all of them. I may decide to try that for a while.

The equinox has made it possible to finally be able to sort out most of whats in this trashy site but the downside is , what the ATP said was one or two, possibly three targets in a square foot area ( not so bad ) , the equinox may point out that there are actually twice as many....that the ground is even trashier than I originally thought :lol:

two gold rings with the nox 600. Readings were all over for both. One was next to iron so I was getting a really choppy 12-13. other was around 18. My wedding band shows up 18-22 in air testing depending on the depth. My advice is to dig everything non iron but thats easier said that done for some people.

S
I have been thinking though , because of such a high trash density I might do better if I pick what appears to be the most common ID and select that one ....one above and one under , notch everything else out ,....if that might actually give me better results in this situation. Digging a broader range of targets dont help if I cant get to all of them. I may decide to try that for a while.

The equinox has made it possible to finally be able to sort out most of whats in this trashy site but the downside is , what the ATP said was one or two, possibly three targets in a square foot area ( not so bad ) , the equinox may point out that there are actually twice as many....that the ground is even trashier than I originally thought :lol:

The big problem is that the equinox id is not that exact on vdi. There is at least a 3-4 number variation on identical targets depending on moisture, depth, and whatever soil minerals are there. You will need to dig a much wider range to get the gold, at least from 10-15 minimum. MOST of it will be trash. You will dig all nickles, lots of pull tabs, big foil, scrap aluminum... and eventually gold. Still, you will also be missing lots of gold in higher ranges up through 20 (good old zinc cents)

So far nothing but lots of pull tabs and foil and a piece of what looks to me like a junk earring with red stones in it. I cant tolerate much more than an hour digging this many trash items within just a few feet. But I have given myself the challenge to devote a short while each time out to just gold range. Its not the best place for this because of the trash density , but the amount of people who have gathered and spent time there over the decades makes jewelry very likely , and I did find a 14k mens wedding band there a few years ago.

There is no predominant range for gold ring readings, so there is no magic number to focus on. Plan to hunt in successively lower zones. Start out and hunt an area for all signals dime and higher. Next hunt go penny and higher. Then dig everything 16 and up, etc. etc. Each time you will have fewer targets to deal with, and you will start hitting coins that were hidden before.

1 - tiny 9-10k ring .7 gram
6- 10k pink sapphire ring 1 gram
8 - gold bracelet 10k 10.5 grams
tiny childs nugget ring 10k 1.3
grams
14 - wedding band 14k 3.7 grams
20-22 - souvenir ring
950 silver/18k 3.5 grams

Last edited:
Dirt Gold hunting is quite an addiction!...Lots of great studies/posts done that you can peruse ...Seems the key to repeatably finding it is to commit to finding it and think hard about possible locations in your AO...narrow it down and hit it for Old Glory!...

Tid Numbers are not gonna help much...a little, but not a primary need...a fast retrieval method will help, just on account of you can pull so many more targets in a shorter amount of time...You can forget about hunting old silver if you commit yourself to dirt gold, oh sure, you will trip across an occasional silver accidentally, but you are not focused on it or set up for it like before...

You are Now focused in on foil, nickel, tabs, zincs for the most part...and aluminum fence wires, rubber wrappers, zippers, all sorts of unbelievable amounts of metallic scrap bullcrappery...

You are now hunting the top 3-4" of earth....totters, Sportsfields, the sides of parking lots where the snow is pushed, curbstrips, sidewalk entrances where the snow is pushed, BB court edges, beaches if you got em...Not nice haciendas and private pristine estates... dirty work...not glamerous.....

You have to really commit and then leave the house to hunt for Gold! Everything else is bycatch! You will be getting a lot of clad too...you gotta also consider chains, because thats where the money is...big old gold chain aint gonna Tid worth a diddly damn, but all you gotta do is find Just One to really knock heavy Jingle!...A big 14k Chain is the same as about 20 little 2gr 10k rings!

You gotta hunt locations and demographics through the fog of time and just hope to get lucky a time or two on 10,000 plus targets pulled in a season.....You will find it though, we see other Members do it, and they took the time to state about what I've written to condense it down..Gold Hunters WILL find gold!...The thing is, how much punishment and disappointment can a guy take along the way? If a guy is Married long time, they have the disappointment endurance level as well as a reason to get out of the house....

Gold is a cruel Mistress! She has no respect for effort or intelligence! Any dedicated Man chasing her, She will put through the wringer and send him home exhausted and unrewarded without even a kiss! Not like her ugly sister Silver at all! :laughing::laughing:

Hell, You still wanna find Gold Eh? Well, go out and "find yourself 1000 pulltabs and 1000 pennies as fast as possible using nothing but a screwdriver" and report back? Thats what one old senior master level detectorist B'tard told me to do long ago when I asked this question as a noob.. ....and so I did!...(where you gonna find vast amounts of pulltabs and pennies?..parking lot edges, totters, sportsfields) So hey..Its like a "pull my finger" answer to this kind of a question when somebody wants to find dirt gold...right?.

I have a very high disappointment endurance level thresh hold though...married for 40yrs, two kids...So yeah...I'ma Dirt gold hunter!..I will take a Silver Sister though..or an empty can, or a roadkill, or a curb set out...damn near anything of value in Her pursuit, a guy has to have a little joy to keep him going!....:laughing:

Last edited:
1 - tiny 9-10k ring .7 gram
8 - gold bracelet 10k 10.5 grams
tiny childs nugget ring 10k 1.3
grams
14 - wedding band 14k 3.7 grams
20-22 - souvenir ring
950 silver/18k 3.5 grams

I hardly ever dig 14's as they've always been square tabs for me. I do dig it if it's a solid 14 and doesn't flip flop to 14 or 15.

I hardly ever dig 14's as they've always been square tabs for me. I do dig it if it's a solid 14 and doesn't flip flop to 14 or 15.

I don't think I have ever had a target stay on just one number with the nox. Its always flipping by 2-3.

I thought it was a pulltab and was pleasantly surprised.
I'm always on the beach, so digging is easy.
I know the parks around me are swimming in goodies but I don't like dirt diggin.
This was solid 14.

Attachments

• IRS20180728_062157.jpg
    IRS20180728_062157.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,451
I don't think I have ever had a target stay on just one number with the nox. Its always flipping by 2-3.

I've had lots of solid hits. I dug a gold ring last sunday that was a solid 17 from all directions. Lots of times if I'm bored and not finding much I'll decide to dig every signal that stays on one number. I've gotten lots of tabs and some canslaw that have not wavered. But, I will say that the majority of hits do vary one or more numbers.

Dirt Gold hunting is quite an addiction!...Lots of great studies/posts done that you can peruse ...Seems the key to repeatably finding it is to commit to finding it and think hard about possible locations in your AO...narrow it down and hit it for Old Glory!...

Tid Numbers are not gonna help much...a little, but not a primary need...a fast retrieval method will help, just on account of you can pull so many more targets in a shorter amount of time...You can forget about hunting old silver if you commit yourself to dirt gold, oh sure, you will trip across an occasional silver accidentally, but you are not focused on it or set up for it like before...

You are Now focused in on foil, nickel, tabs, zincs for the most part...and aluminum fence wires, rubber wrappers, zippers, all sorts of unbelievable amounts of metallic scrap bullcrappery...

You are now hunting the top 3-4" of earth....totters, Sportsfields, the sides of parking lots where the snow is pushed, curbstrips, sidewalk entrances where the snow is pushed, BB court edges, beaches if you got em...Not nice haciendas and private pristine estates... dirty work...not glamerous.....

You have to really commit and then leave the house to hunt for Gold! Everything else is bycatch! You will be getting a lot of clad too...you gotta also consider chains, because thats where the money is...big old gold chain aint gonna Tid worth a diddly damn, but all you gotta do is find Just One to really knock heavy Jingle!...A big 14k Chain is the same as about 20 little 2gr 10k rings!

You gotta hunt locations and demographics through the fog of time and just hope to get lucky a time or two on 10,000 plus targets pulled in a season.....You will find it though, we see other Members do it, and they took the time to state about what I've written to condense it down..Gold Hunters WILL find gold!...The thing is, how much punishment and disappointment can a guy take along the way? If a guy is Married long time, they have the disappointment endurance level as well as a reason to get out of the house....

Gold is a cruel Mistress! She has no respect for effort or intelligence! Any dedicated Man chasing her, She will put through the wringer and send him home exhausted and unrewarded without even a kiss! Not like her ugly sister Silver at all! :laughing::laughing:

Hell, You still wanna find Gold Eh? Well, go out and "find yourself 1000 pulltabs and 1000 pennies as fast as possible using nothing but a screwdriver" and report back? Thats what one old senior master level detectorist B'tard told me to do long ago when I asked this question as a noob.. ....and so I did!...(where you gonna find vast amounts of pulltabs and pennies?..parking lot edges, totters, sportsfields) So hey..Its like a "pull my finger" answer to this kind of a question when somebody wants to find dirt gold...right?.

I have a very high disappointment endurance level thresh hold though...married for 40yrs, two kids...So yeah...I'ma Dirt gold hunter!..I will take a Silver Sister though..or an empty can, or a roadkill, or a curb set out...damn near anything of value in Her pursuit, a guy has to have a little joy to keep him going!....:laughing:

Thanks. This was very helpful.

Yes I agree. In the past , the gold I have found was because I dug such a wide range of targets for a very long time. Naturally the gold will eventually show itself to the patient under those circumstances. But thats a young mans game , or a pain free older mans game :lol: To me the risk has to be worth the reward if you are going to hurt later. I will put a little time in on the gold only hunts , but its the clad and silver that keeps me going.

Back
Top Bottom