Fisher F-pulse tips from actual engineer behind the pinpointer.

The F-Pulse Won't Get The Claimed Depths

Whatever engineer it was who said the F-Pulse got 3 1/4 inches on a clad dime is wrong. Mine only gets 2/3/4 inches on a clad dime, and only 3 1/2 inches on a nickel, not 4.25".

I called west Texas and talked about my depth on a brand new unit which they sent me as a replacement after the first Pulse failed. The first one did actually get those depths, so I was certain they'd "replace my replacement."

Well, their actual quality engineer had me on the phone and had me test it for range, and when I said I was only getting 3 1/4 inches on a nickel, he said, "That's sounds right."

So, in the end, this new pulse induction gets me no better depth performance than my old Garrett carrot, and the Carrot is two years old and lost some range it once had. It still matches this whiz bang new Fisher PI they sent.

The support people at Fisher just don't want to admit that their newest rendition of F-Pulse, even being pulse induction...in no way out-distances the depth of the orange Garrets.

I see no added value in this F-Pulse, besides a light which can be brightened or turned completely off. Maybe some value in phase change ability so it won't integer with your detector.

It bites to not be able to carry the F-Pulse by itself, like I could with the first one when they were first available. I am now back to carrying two pointers again, a Whites TRX and this second generation F-Pulse, my old mode of operation

I think the thing that bothers me most of all, is that Fisher support would not admit that the first generation, which did actually get 4 1/4 on nickels, ever existed. I don't like deception.

Whatever engineer it was who said the F-Pulse got 3 1/4 inches on a clad dime is wrong. Mine only gets 2/3/4 inches on a clad dime, and only 3 1/2 inches on a nickel, not 4.25".

I called west Texas and talked about my depth on a brand new unit which they sent me as a replacement after the first Pulse failed. The first one did actually get those depths, so I was certain they'd "replace my replacement."

Well, their actual quality engineer had me on the phone and had me test it for range, and when I said I was only getting 3 1/4 inches on a nickel, he said, "That's sounds right."

So, in the end, this new pulse induction gets me no better depth performance than my old Garrett carrot, and the Carrot is two years old and lost some range it once had. It still matches this whiz bang new Fisher PI they sent.

The support people at Fisher just don't want to admit that their newest rendition of F-Pulse, even being pulse induction...in no way out-distances the depth of the orange Garrets.

I see no added value in this F-Pulse, besides a light which can be brightened or turned completely off. Maybe some value in phase change ability so it won't integer with your detector.

It bites to not be able to carry the F-Pulse by itself, like I could with the first one when they were first available. I am now back to carrying two pointers again, a Whites TRX and this second generation F-Pulse, my old mode of operation

I think the thing that bothers me most of all, is that Fisher support would not admit that the first generation, which did actually get 4 1/4 on nickels, ever existed. I don't like deception.

I have one from the first shipped batches, and a new one and both easily bang over 3 inches on a dime, over 4 inches larger. You may need to recalibrate it to get more depth on it. Here is the process:

If you quick-press the button to turn on, the LED code is bypassed, has no effect. What happens on power-up is some internal calibration stuff. It is critical during power-up that the PP is held away from metal, if you're waving it around and it sees metal (and it can see large metal from a fair distance) then this will extend the cal time.

The cal is supposed to be accelerated by a factory calibration that saves a very close starting point in memory. If you are still seeing a long power-up delay, you can re-cal your F-Tek and it should speed up. Here are the steps:

As you turn the PP on, you can continue holding the button to toggle the state of the LED. That is, if the LED is normally on and you want it off, continue holding the button on power-up and after about 1 second the LED will turn off. At the instant the LED turns off (or on), release the button and then immediately press the button 6 times in a row. The PP should beep on every button press. After the 6th press stop pressing the button and just hold the PP still, it is now doing a cal routine. This can take up to 10 seconds to complete so be patient. When it's done the PP will beep 2-3 times and the LED will start doing a weird dance. Turn it off, then turn it back on and see if it's faster to boot up.

Two things to keep in mind...

1. Keep the PP away from any metal during the cal procedure. This is especially important, and by away factor in really far away. My Fpulse can pick up my refrigerator from across the room, so I do this in the middle of my back yard with no metal on me just in case.
2. The cal procedure also executes a factory reset on all settings.

I have one from the first shipped batches, and a new one and both easily bang over 3 inches on a dime, over 4 inches larger. You may need to recalibrate it to get more depth on it. Here is the process:

If you quick-press the button to turn on, the LED code is bypassed, has no effect. What happens on power-up is some internal calibration stuff. It is critical during power-up that the PP is held away from metal, if you're waving it around and it sees metal (and it can see large metal from a fair distance) then this will extend the cal time.

The cal is supposed to be accelerated by a factory calibration that saves a very close starting point in memory. If you are still seeing a long power-up delay, you can re-cal your F-Tek and it should speed up. Here are the steps:

As you turn the PP on, you can continue holding the button to toggle the state of the LED. That is, if the LED is normally on and you want it off, continue holding the button on power-up and after about 1 second the LED will turn off. At the instant the LED turns off (or on), release the button and then immediately press the button 6 times in a row. The PP should beep on every button press. After the 6th press stop pressing the button and just hold the PP still, it is now doing a cal routine. This can take up to 10 seconds to complete so be patient. When it's done the PP will beep 2-3 times and the LED will start doing a weird dance. Turn it off, then turn it back on and see if it's faster to boot up.

Two things to keep in mind...

1. Keep the PP away from any metal during the cal procedure. This is especially important, and by away factor in really far away. My Fpulse can pick up my refrigerator from across the room, so I do this in the middle of my back yard with no metal on me just in case.
2. The cal procedure also executes a factory reset on all settings.

I've done that procedure more than once, yet I did it again just now, outside the house. I set the sensitivity to full, 3 beeps, and now actually just get 2.5" on a clad dime and the measly 3 & 1/4 on a nickel.

You have confirmed that two of your F-Pulse hits 4 inches on nickels, and a solid 3 inches, maybe more on clad dime.

Fisher phone support(Frank, a key engineer on this thing) wouldn't agree that it was designed to get better than my 3 & 1/4 inches, which is insulting to me. I had that performance, a friend of mine has an F-Pulse and his gets excellent distance like my first one did.

I simply don't appreciate a business support unit on a product basically, in effect, call me a nut, by not acknowledging that their F-Pulse actually did get those numbers.

I am never buying or promoting any Fisher product after this event. Their ethics are bad. I KNOW that my first Pulse got distance like your two, plus that Pulse which one my friend still has is like my first, clad dime way farther than mine now, which Fisher phone support said to be within design performance at only 3 1/4" on a nickel. It is insulting to be told sensitivity is "about right", and never admit to me that any F-Pulse units got over 3 inches on clad dimes. Bad, bad ethics.

Same here, was given a new pointer as the first one did not work correctly as it always went into a constant chirping, the new one is super shallow, about 2 3/4" on a dime but it hasn't acted up like the previous pointer.It might be time to buy a Mi-4 for my other non deus machines.

I suspect the F Pulse was too unstable at the initial sensitivity, so they cranked it down a bit, losing some depth. But do you really need >3" on a dime? I find that about 2" is optimum for me. BTW, I believe you can increase the depth by holding a coin to the barrel with your thumb and sliding it up until you get the desired sensitivity.

I have not been getting along well at all with my F Pulse--way too much falsing. Last night, I dug it out again and did the above reset procedure. We'll see if that helps. If not, I will return it for repair.

I suspect the F Pulse was too unstable at the initial sensitivity, so they cranked it down a bit, losing some depth. But do you really need >3" on a dime? I find that about 2" is optimum for me. BTW, I believe you can increase the depth by holding a coin to the barrel with your thumb and sliding it up until you get the desired sensitivity.

I have not been getting along well at all with my F Pulse--way too much falsing. Last night, I dug it out again and did the above reset procedure. We'll see if that helps. If not, I will return it for repair.

"I suspect the F Pulse was too unstable at the initial sensitivity, so they cranked it down a bit, losing some depth."

That IS what they did! They wouldn't admit that the F-Pulse EVER did get 3.5 inches on dimes and 4+ inches on nickels. One of the phone support guys, name was Daniel, casually commented that my replacement unit was with "the new software."

As far as, "But do you really need >3" on a dime?" I bought the F-Pulse to match the depth on my Whites TRX with tip detection only, the first F-Pulse, with the addition of side detection and 3+ inches on dimes.

I already owned the orange Garretts, which gets 2.75 inches on dimes, plus side. It would be idiotic for me to buy a different manufacturer's pointer which doesn't beat the Carrot.

My first F-Pulse DID beat the Carrot. I felt I'd made a smart decision. Then came the second F-Pulse. I call it my "red Carrot."

Back
Top Bottom