Meteorites

beerbarrel

Is it hard to find meteorites with a MD? Before anybody comments please be advised that I have never used a MD before. Mine won't be here until Thursday. It's funny how my hobbies run much on the discovery side. I like electronics, Ham radio, astronomy, scientific stuff and the list goes on. I do want to find some coins but I want to find other stuff too!

Tracy

In all metal mode you can find them. But you would probably be digging alot of trash! I haven't found one yet myself, But I was lucky enough to find a few pieces of pyrite.

Maybe ?

I keep all of my hot rocks and so far I have about eight. One is very heavy and will draw to a magnet..I don't know what the heck I have.

Quote from one meteorwrong site: "For example, there have been only about 22 found in Missouri and 9 found in Illinois in the past 200 years."

So yep, you can find them. And you can consider yourself very lucky if you ever find one.

Voriax

They are there for the finding... and not all meteorites are magnetic. Go to a meteorite site and read about them.... very interesting. RickO

I found H.H. Nininger's works all very good reads. Not overly technical but really inspirational and had a lot of good advice from the father of meteoritics.

if you want to find a meteorite, my best advice is to do research. Yes that includes going to a library or public lands office.
1)learn about the different types: iron, mesosiderite, and stone and how they signal on your MD (most%from falls are stone variety, but most found are iron)
2)learn how to identify them in the field: both freshly fallen (fireball/bolide) and colder finds
3)search through areas where meteorites have already been discovered because they break apart during their descent, scattering many smaller pieces over many miles. (determine the direction of flight/strewnfield)

here are some useful sites to visit:

http://www.meteorite.com/Meteorite_Identification.htm
(check out the meteorwrong gallery)

http://www.meteorites4sale.net/Locations/MLocations.htm

They are surely out there, just the knowledge to distinguish them from common rocks makes them hard to find!

Western Kansas has always been a good site for finding meteorites, including some large ones. For more posts on them, type in meteorite in the search section at the top of the page.

I think the best place to find meteorites and the like would be in very wide open areas. Fields, deserts, etc. The beauty of searching for meteorites is that they fall anywhere they darn well please with no discrimination to where they land. If that's specifically what you're looking for, go out in the middle of an open field or flat land and search your heart out. If you get a hit on your detector in the middle of no where... it's either something that shouldn't be out there (the mother lode), or maybe a meteorite. it's win win :lol:

Is it hard to find meteorites with a MD? Before anybody comments please be advised that I have never used a MD before. Mine won't be here until Thursday. It's funny how my hobbies run much on the discovery side. I like electronics, Ham radio, astronomy, scientific stuff and the list goes on. I do want to find some coins but I want to find other stuff too!

Tracy

Yes! Meteorites are extremely hard to locate, even with a detector. However, using a detector in a known meteorite strewnfield makes your job a bit easier and improves your odds. Meteorites contain a high iron content compared to Earth rocks and will make your detector sound off rather easily. "Hot Rocks" are pesky, but could possibly be a meteorite. Many meteorite hunter friends of mine started their meteorite hunting career/obsession by Gold Nugget Shooting, and found out through years of hunting that some of the "hot rocks" they had found were in fact meteorites.

They're rare, hard to find, and very few hot rocks will be meteorites, but when you do find one, your heart skips a beat and it's an amazing feeling.

Kinda like the feeling you get when you find a gold nugget I would imagine. ;)

Eric

I think the best place to find meteorites and the like would be in very wide open areas. Fields, deserts, etc. The beauty of searching for meteorites is that they fall anywhere they darn well please with no discrimination to where they land. If that's specifically what you're looking for, go out in the middle of an open field or flat land and search your heart out. If you get a hit on your detector in the middle of no where... it's either something that shouldn't be out there (the mother lode), or maybe a meteorite. it's win win :lol:

Yes, dry desert locales are very productive areas to hunt meteorites because the arid climate helps preserve meteorites longer the say a humid environment would. And you are absolutely right! Meteorites fall ANYWHERE on the planet and have been found in every state of the United States. Currently there are about 1624 (as of this writing) meteorites that have been found and classified in the USA alone. 50,000+ worldwide.

Regards,
Eric

Back
Top Bottom