Did I screw up my headphone jack?

RebelRouser

I recently noticed the plastic strain relief connectors on my AT Pro did not looked tightened all the way down. You could still see several of the threads on the silver colored metal part. So I decided to tighten them, starting with the headphone connector. When I did, it apparently squeezed some of the rubberized sealant out through the back. Is this going to affect the waterproof ability of the connector? Is there a way to fix this if it may cause leaks? Should I go ahead and tighten them both or leave the other one alone? Thanks.

In the first photo you see my untightened coil connector as an example. Notice you can see the threads showing. The second photo shows my headphone connector after I tightened the plastic strain relief. If you look carefully to the right you can see some of the rubberized sealant squeezed out in the first spiral.

Attachments

• IMG_4673.jpg
    IMG_4673.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4676.jpg
    IMG_4676.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 217
Well if your under warranty I would have them check it out. If your warranty is out, I would smear a glob of Vaseline around that sucker just to make sure it won't take in water. Man, you really put the squeeze on those threads!!! Did you tighten that with your fingers or pliers?? it really is probably not hurt but I would still ask Garrett about it at least if it is under warranty

The threads showing in your first photo are normal. My stock head phones and the head phone adapter both have threads showing. If you are going yo try to salvage this one, use GE Silicone II and cover the damaged strain relief area for a good seal. The GE Silicone II does not damage electronic components like regular silicone does. Regular silicone sealant will cause corrosion.

Thanks for everyone's help! I emailed Garrett yesterday, just waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully this didn't void my warranty. When I saw the threads showing I thought I may have accidentally loosened it when removing and attaching the coil. You know what a bugger those connectors can be. Seems like it should be a simple fix if I have to do it on my own. Just a squirt or two of GE Silicone II caulk inside should fix it.

Back
Top Bottom