• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

State MDing Laws

Morton'sBattery

Im looking for info on specific state MDing laws.
Ive done some googling and not much is specific about some state's laws.
Specifically looking for TN and GA but I think we can all benefit from other state's as well.

I don't have the link right in front of me, but do a search on this site for state parks. There are a few threads regarding state laws and park laws in each state.

I see that I wasnt clear. Sorry about that. :)
I'm not worried about state parks here....i know those are 100% illegal.
Im more concerned about city parks I guess.

The reason I'm asking is that I got hassled yesterday by some Atlanta parks dept. guy twice.
I told him it was legal in an attempt to call his bluff (which worked) and realized he didnt even know whether it was or not and finally left me alone when I told him it was legal 5 times. Obviously I didnt know but I acted like I knew more than him and he finally thought so too and left. I just didnt want any trouble. I left and went elsewhere but am pretty sure ive read its legal before.
I guess i should KNOW and not THINK and thats why I'm asking. :)

I doubt if you'll find many laws that specifically outlaw the use of a metal detector ... where they can get you, and it becomes a matter of interpretation, is with the act of digging ... damaging the grass, plants or what ever.

Yeah thats true. Some law about damaging plant life or something, right?
As long as the law doesnt say I cant detect and I'm very neat about my digs and the replacement of plugs, I think I'm good.
At least thats how I was thinking but wanted to make sure there werent any laws I didnt know about.
I also want to be able to handle situations like yesterday in a better (more educated) manner if it should happen again. I'm not about to be kicked out of a public park for doing something that isnt illegal because some parks guy is bored.

If you're looking for city laws, odds are you will not find those online. Just contact your local Parks and Rec either by phone or email and see what they say.

You are always going to run into some employee that does not have enough to do and is trying to justify his existance.

I have been hunting mainly city parks for a few years. Now there are places I will not hunt because there are posted signs saying Metal detecting prohibited. Otherwise its fair game. I have dealt with rude city employees that tell you you cant do that here. First thing I say is its perfectly fine for me to be here. If that does not work I say Call the cops and offer to use my phone.I know that what Im doing is not illegal. Generally most employees of the city come up and ask How im doing??What have you found?? Its how you react to there questions. Be confident. Check around the park for signs of rules and regulations. If metal detecting is not on there...then swing with confidence.
Just follow the code of ethics and you will prosper. Happy Hunting my friend.

I'll double check the signs at every park I go to.
If it isnt listed then I will hunt all I want....and yes, I definitely will always follow the code of ethics.
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.
I feel better able to deal with that guy or people like him next time.

Good Day,

Unfortunately, laws not only differ from State to State, but from town to town as well. Some States allow for MDing in State Parks, others allow it as long as you are registed and others not at all. So too with cities and towns. One may allow for MDing on city land (parks and schools for example) while the next town over might not. Sorry if that is not as helpful as you would like. Sure looking up various city ordinances (those that actually have a website) might help, one of the better sources of information might actually be any local clubs in a given area. Calling up a local town hall might help, but I think it might be a crap shoot as to what they actually REALLY know about their ordinances. Some towns don't even post that MDing is illegal too, which doesn't help much. The center "city" of our metropolitan area does not post signs, although there is an ordinance prohibiting MDing on any city land. Be forwarned... So, back to local clubs as a hopeful source of information...

Steelie

Last edited:
I hunt at a park that has an American Legion right in the center of a 20 acre park, the American Legion owns 1 acre of the land that is marked off & I know the guy that runs the Legion he told me it was fine to detect on the 1 acre, that it was an open post-The rest of the park if off limits to detecting. It drives the city park workers crazy that they can't say anything to me, Sometimes I'll catch them sitting in there truck watching me, I think waiting for me to cross the line into the city owned park, This park dates back to the late 1800's. And is the only park in my area that is off limits to detectors.

Yeah - its a mess...

Our city park has nothing posted about what you're allowed or not allowed to do. The city's website has nothing posted. We have no ordinances prohibiting metal detecting (I asked the president of our local historical assoc when I was chatting with her at the library a couple of weeks ago), yet when I asked about detecting at a local rest stop that the city is digging up & turning into an RV park, today, I was told that the city attorney says no detecting on any city property.

Which just goes to show, there is always somebody waiting to shut you down, even when you think you've got it all covered & it is OK.

Yeah - its a mess...

Our city park has nothing posted about what you're allowed or not allowed to do. The city's website has nothing posted. We have no ordinances prohibiting metal detecting (I asked the president of our local historical assoc when I was chatting with her at the library a couple of weeks ago), yet when I asked about detecting at a local rest stop that the city is digging up & turning into an RV park, today, I was told that the city attorney says no detecting on any city property.

Which just goes to show, there is always somebody waiting to shut you down, even when you think you've got it all covered & it is OK.

The city attorney can't arbitrarily make a decision like that unless there is an ordinance to support it .... that's why we live in America

So where can I find the city ordinances? Do libraries normally have a copy?

Oops - sorry I kind of hijacked your thread... LOL I'm taking this problem back to my own :)

Not sure about everyone else but when I want to hunt on city property I contact the city hall and ask if it's ok, But on occasion if it's after city office hours or on weekends I just call the police department-after all there the ones that would write the ticket & will usually know the laws on metal detecting.

Here's what I did ~
I sent an email to the mayor and asked him if there were any ordinances or rules against metal detecting on city property....

He wasn't sure, so he forwarded my email to the Police Chief.... The Police Chief sent an eamil back to the Mayor saying there were no ordinances or rules against metal detecting on city property, but you had to conform to posted times parks and school property were open....
they're all closed after dark....

Now the Mayor sent me the reply and as with all emails... the whole history of the conversation was included....

I printed it out, folded it up and put it in my wallet.... Now,
"IF" I'm ever questioned while on city property... I have an email from the Mayor & the Police Chief... :yes:

Back
Top Bottom