Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 08-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Elite Member

Default Hurricane to Mix things up?

Things could be very different along the east coast next weekend.

Picture From Accuweather.com
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2011, 11:23 AM
six feet under(water)

It's about time. Been pray'n for a storm all year.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:24 AM
six feet under(water)

Your ape avatar was the best. You should bring it back.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Elite Member

Hope it works out for you, haven't had much activity here either....

Old 08-21-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by scoundrel View post
It's about time. Been pray'n for a storm all year.
I've been closing following the weather since buying a metal detector a few weeks ago. lol.

This Irene may come up the coast and dust all the beaches with storms. I don't know how big the storms have to be. My metal detector came with a magazine with a big article about hunting beaches immediately after the storm passed. I definitely want to try. I'm self-employed so I'm in a good position to run out there whenever I want.

Irene is predicted to turn into a Cat 1 soon, but I bet it's only a minor tropical storm when it hits the US. The media cries wolf about every storm just to have a story. I bet people in Florida are very jaded and don't take hurricane coverage seriously until it's within a few of them.

I'm in Charleston, SC by the way.

On a side note I went to the beach in Sullivan's Island for the first time in years yesterday. It was low tide. That beach went out forever. You get on the beach at low tide and the water is WAYYYYY out there. Then there was a massive river going through the middle of the beach. Only an inches deep in places, but as much a 4 feet in one large area. In one area there was like a huge hill (sand bar I guess) on the beach on the half closest to the surf. When I stood on it I was higher than the sand dunes.

I'm actually interested in seeing just how much a big storm would reshape the beach, but it looked bizarre the way it is now. I found way less stuff than I found on Folly and much more beer bottle caps even though that beach bans all alcohol.

I also found a hole with a rusty bottle cap sitting on top of the sand next to the hole suggesting I was hunting where someone else had just hunted. Unfortunately I didn't find that until close to when I was leaving.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Elite Member

Don't need a big one but we'll see...

Old 08-21-2011, 12:34 PM
six feet under(water)

Originally Posted by valhalla76 View post
I've been closing following the weather since buying a metal detector a few weeks ago. lol.

This Irene may come up the coast and dust all the beaches with storms. I don't know how big the storms have to be. My metal detector came with a magazine with a big article about hunting beaches immediately after the storm passed. I definitely want to try. I'm self-employed so I'm in a good position to run out there whenever I want.

Irene is predicted to turn into a Cat 1 soon, but I bet it's only a minor tropical storm when it hits the US. The media cries wolf about every storm just to have a story. I bet people in Florida are very jaded and don't take hurricane coverage seriously until it's within a few of them.

I'm in Charleston, SC by the way.

On a side note I went to the beach in Sullivan's Island for the first time in years yesterday. It was low tide. That beach went out forever. You get on the beach at low tide and the water is WAYYYYY out there. Then there was a massive river going through the middle of the beach. Only an inches deep in places, but as much a 4 feet in one large area. In one area there was like a huge hill (sand bar I guess) on the beach on the half closest to the surf. When I stood on it I was higher than the sand dunes.

I'm actually interested in seeing just how much a big storm would reshape the beach, but it looked bizarre the way it is now. I found way less stuff than I found on Folly and much more beer bottle caps even though that beach bans all alcohol.

I also found a hole with a rusty bottle cap sitting on top of the sand next to the hole suggesting I was hunting where someone else had just hunted. Unfortunately I didn't find that until close to when I was leaving.

It doesn't take a big storm to create ideal conditions. Even a good tropical storm with the right wind and wave direction can be very good for metal detecting. When the waves hit the beach at a hard angle, as opposed to head on, it peels away the sand. The more sand that gets taken away, the better it is.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Elite Member

it could be good or bad, it might move some sand away from the beach, or pile more on. You never know. I will be out detecting the beaches after the storm comes if it does for sure.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Elite Member

Always thought and hoped, that the storm surge would carry some sunken treasure onto the beach. Guess you can only hope for the best, it just stirs things up, and might leave a few nice things out to be found.

The media does hype the storms a little, good for the economy. People from the northern states buy out the stores, really go crazy, like they are going to be trapped for weeks. Figure the worst case, maybe three or four days, and have about a week's worth of food, water, and beer. Mostly, because I don't want to fight the crowds over a few weekly items. But mostly, a storm can pick up speed quickly, and it's best to be aware of where it is, and what its doing. Don't want to get caught napping, and have no where to run at the last minute. I've never evacuated, my house was built in 1946, and has survived some bad ones just fine. Don't think the shelters are going to be much safer, don't think they allow dogs, and nervous people, make me nervous...

Old 08-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Elite Member

Smile Local

Scoundrel,since your a local,must be nice,we will watch and see what you find,hope you find some Spanish 1715 fleet Gold,if you start finding it give me a PM i will fly down and help you clean the beach later mate

Old 08-21-2011, 03:27 PM

While I was a bit complacent prior to 2004, Hurricane Charley going directly over my head while I watched our county get destroyed opened my eyes a bit. Yes I am waiting for a storm to churn things up, but I'm hesitant on wanting to relive the pure destruction that hurricanes can and do serve. Being without power really sucks after about the 3rd day of 95 degree heat, it really blows after 3 weeks. Been there done that, no fun at all. Our house was built in 2005 and I'd be really apprehensive about riding out a big storm here.

Minelab Equinox 800 with 11”DD Smartcoil, White's MXT 300 with Beachhunter 12” Coil, Profind 35 & Bullseye 2 Pinpointers ——2019 Clad Total: $14.73; Non-Numismatic Finds 2019: 3 rings; 2019 Old Coins: None

Old 08-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Banned

Severe rain just hit the edge of puerto rico . stay safe everyone and looks like the normal 1 to 2 ft surf is over 6 ft already so I am sure the sands going to be stirred up here HH

Old 08-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Elite Member

it's waaaay to early to say if it's going to have any impact up this way, though we often do get some good swells from those systems. the time frame for this storm should coincide with my vacation, so hopefully some of the sand will get moved around here too.

Pete

Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 PM
THE JUICE

i'm sure it'll fizzle out but the time it gets anywhere close to our area....always seems to work that way

Old 08-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Enigma

Originally Posted by dogpound View post
i'm sure it'll fizzle out but the time it gets anywhere close to our area....always seems to work that way
So true! Wait a minute, Why am I laughing!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by gtodude View post
While I was a bit complacent prior to 2004, Hurricane Charley going directly over my head while I watched our county get destroyed opened my eyes a bit. Yes I am waiting for a storm to churn things up, but I'm hesitant on wanting to relive the pure destruction that hurricanes can and do serve. Being without power really sucks after about the 3rd day of 95 degree heat, it really blows after 3 weeks. Been there done that, no fun at all. Our house was built in 2005 and I'd be really apprehensive about riding out a big storm here.
2004 was the worst year for me as well. Fortunately, out of the 4 storms that passed over us, never had to go more than 8 hours without power. I near downtown, and on the priority circuit, with the police, fire, and city hall... Knocked down most of my privacy fence, and a lot of tree limbs to cut up. The house wasn't damaged at all.

Kind of looks like this year is going to follow that pattern though, the big storms started coming the end of August, and every week or two, we had another one. The ones that come from Africa always turn out badly for somebody.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Elite Member

GTO I just helped move the wifes parents out of deep creek, they lived by ht e beer store on Rio. Yes the storms tore um up, brought down a jeny and fuel and other stuff and the wife started crying when we got off 75. They live up in NSB now... I know I will be headin to the condo for a few days if it is any goot, and my place isn't blown over... I am sure good storms wash stuff up, I have found some interesting pieces up near the top of sea walls that were stripped by 10 foot or so in 04.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:35 PM

I'm up in the far NE part of Deep Creek near Seasons and Deep Creek Blvd. Desoto county is about 1/8 mile North of me and the river is only about 1/4 mile to the East. I am very familiar with the store. I stop there for a coffee before my morning hunts on the weekends and morning coffee on my way to the office.

Minelab Equinox 800 with 11”DD Smartcoil, White's MXT 300 with Beachhunter 12” Coil, Profind 35 & Bullseye 2 Pinpointers ——2019 Clad Total: $14.73; Non-Numismatic Finds 2019: 3 rings; 2019 Old Coins: None

Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 PM
OldCherryPicker

Good, I'm on vacation again next week and planned on doing stuff around the house...but a unplanned trip to the beach won't hunt for just a day..

Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Elite Member

They still have some familydown there, but won't be down too often to plunder your loot.