Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-21-2011, 11:14 AM
goodmore's Avatar
goodmore goodmore is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 3,016
Default Hurricane to Mix things up?

Things could be very different along the east coast next weekend.


Picture From Accuweather.com
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 08-21-2011, 11:23 AM
scoundrel's Avatar
scoundrel scoundrel is offline
six feet under(water)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: here and there
Posts: 1,184
Default

It's about time. Been pray'n for a storm all year.

__________________
Pirate in the blood. Treasure in the soul.

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 08-21-2011, 11:24 AM
scoundrel's Avatar
scoundrel scoundrel is offline
six feet under(water)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: here and there
Posts: 1,184
Default

Your ape avatar was the best. You should bring it back.

__________________
Pirate in the blood. Treasure in the soul.

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 08-21-2011, 11:35 AM
zeemang zeemang is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South of there
Posts: 19,420
Default

Hope it works out for you, haven't had much activity here either....

__________________
E trac and an equinox 800 woowhoo!
Living the American dream, just a bit further south...

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 08-21-2011, 11:50 AM
valhalla76 valhalla76 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 71
Default

Originally Posted by scoundrel View post
It's about time. Been pray'n for a storm all year.
I've been closing following the weather since buying a metal detector a few weeks ago. lol.

This Irene may come up the coast and dust all the beaches with storms. I don't know how big the storms have to be. My metal detector came with a magazine with a big article about hunting beaches immediately after the storm passed. I definitely want to try. I'm self-employed so I'm in a good position to run out there whenever I want.

Irene is predicted to turn into a Cat 1 soon, but I bet it's only a minor tropical storm when it hits the US. The media cries wolf about every storm just to have a story. I bet people in Florida are very jaded and don't take hurricane coverage seriously until it's within a few of them.

I'm in Charleston, SC by the way.

On a side note I went to the beach in Sullivan's Island for the first time in years yesterday. It was low tide. That beach went out forever. You get on the beach at low tide and the water is WAYYYYY out there. Then there was a massive river going through the middle of the beach. Only an inches deep in places, but as much a 4 feet in one large area. In one area there was like a huge hill (sand bar I guess) on the beach on the half closest to the surf. When I stood on it I was higher than the sand dunes.

I'm actually interested in seeing just how much a big storm would reshape the beach, but it looked bizarre the way it is now. I found way less stuff than I found on Folly and much more beer bottle caps even though that beach bans all alcohol.

I also found a hole with a rusty bottle cap sitting on top of the sand next to the hole suggesting I was hunting where someone else had just hunted. Unfortunately I didn't find that until close to when I was leaving.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 08-21-2011, 12:15 PM
S.S.Tupperware S.S.Tupperware is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 523
Default

Don't need a big one but we'll see...

__________________
http://www.infraredservices.net/

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 08-21-2011, 12:34 PM
scoundrel's Avatar
scoundrel scoundrel is offline
six feet under(water)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: here and there
Posts: 1,184
Default

Originally Posted by valhalla76 View post
I've been closing following the weather since buying a metal detector a few weeks ago. lol.

This Irene may come up the coast and dust all the beaches with storms. I don't know how big the storms have to be. My metal detector came with a magazine with a big article about hunting beaches immediately after the storm passed. I definitely want to try. I'm self-employed so I'm in a good position to run out there whenever I want.

Irene is predicted to turn into a Cat 1 soon, but I bet it's only a minor tropical storm when it hits the US. The media cries wolf about every storm just to have a story. I bet people in Florida are very jaded and don't take hurricane coverage seriously until it's within a few of them.

I'm in Charleston, SC by the way.

On a side note I went to the beach in Sullivan's Island for the first time in years yesterday. It was low tide. That beach went out forever. You get on the beach at low tide and the water is WAYYYYY out there. Then there was a massive river going through the middle of the beach. Only an inches deep in places, but as much a 4 feet in one large area. In one area there was like a huge hill (sand bar I guess) on the beach on the half closest to the surf. When I stood on it I was higher than the sand dunes.

I'm actually interested in seeing just how much a big storm would reshape the beach, but it looked bizarre the way it is now. I found way less stuff than I found on Folly and much more beer bottle caps even though that beach bans all alcohol.

I also found a hole with a rusty bottle cap sitting on top of the sand next to the hole suggesting I was hunting where someone else had just hunted. Unfortunately I didn't find that until close to when I was leaving.

It doesn't take a big storm to create ideal conditions. Even a good tropical storm with the right wind and wave direction can be very good for metal detecting. When the waves hit the beach at a hard angle, as opposed to head on, it peels away the sand. The more sand that gets taken away, the better it is.

__________________
Pirate in the blood. Treasure in the soul.

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Elixir's Avatar
Elixir Elixir is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lehigh Acres, FL
Posts: 580
Default

it could be good or bad, it might move some sand away from the beach, or pile more on. You never know. I will be out detecting the beaches after the storm comes if it does for sure.

__________________
¸·´°º¤Tesoro Tiger Shark¤º°´¸Those Who Seek Shall Find!

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 08-21-2011, 02:39 PM
HarveyH48 HarveyH48 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,711
Default

Always thought and hoped, that the storm surge would carry some sunken treasure onto the beach. Guess you can only hope for the best, it just stirs things up, and might leave a few nice things out to be found.

The media does hype the storms a little, good for the economy. People from the northern states buy out the stores, really go crazy, like they are going to be trapped for weeks. Figure the worst case, maybe three or four days, and have about a week's worth of food, water, and beer. Mostly, because I don't want to fight the crowds over a few weekly items. But mostly, a storm can pick up speed quickly, and it's best to be aware of where it is, and what its doing. Don't want to get caught napping, and have no where to run at the last minute. I've never evacuated, my house was built in 1946, and has survived some bad ones just fine. Don't think the shelters are going to be much safer, don't think they allow dogs, and nervous people, make me nervous...
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 08-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Surf Master's Avatar
Surf Master Surf Master is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mid Atlantic Beach
Posts: 12,709
Smile Local

Scoundrel,since your a local,must be nice,we will watch and see what you find,hope you find some Spanish 1715 fleet Gold,if you start finding it give me a PM i will fly down and help you clean the beach later mate
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 08-21-2011, 03:27 PM
gtodude's Avatar
gtodude gtodude is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 254
Default

While I was a bit complacent prior to 2004, Hurricane Charley going directly over my head while I watched our county get destroyed opened my eyes a bit. Yes I am waiting for a storm to churn things up, but I'm hesitant on wanting to relive the pure destruction that hurricanes can and do serve. Being without power really sucks after about the 3rd day of 95 degree heat, it really blows after 3 weeks. Been there done that, no fun at all. Our house was built in 2005 and I'd be really apprehensive about riding out a big storm here.

__________________
Minelab Equinox 800 with 11”DD Smartcoil, White's MXT 300 with Beachhunter 12” Coil, Profind 35 & Bullseye 2 Pinpointers ——2019 Clad Total: $14.73; Non-Numismatic Finds 2019: 3 rings; 2019 Old Coins: None

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 08-21-2011, 03:27 PM
allank allank is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vega Baja ,Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,699
Default

Severe rain just hit the edge of puerto rico . stay safe everyone and looks like the normal 1 to 2 ft surf is over 6 ft already so I am sure the sands going to be stirred up here HH
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 08-21-2011, 03:38 PM
007tallguy's Avatar
007tallguy 007tallguy is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada, eh.
Posts: 7,348
Default

it's waaaay to early to say if it's going to have any impact up this way, though we often do get some good swells from those systems. the time frame for this storm should coincide with my vacation, so hopefully some of the sand will get moved around here too.

Pete
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 PM
dogpound's Avatar
dogpound dogpound is offline
THE JUICE
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SE PA
Posts: 7,768
Default

i'm sure it'll fizzle out but the time it gets anywhere close to our area....always seems to work that way

__________________
armed & swingin
CTX 3030

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 08-21-2011, 04:44 PM
PI JOE's Avatar
PI JOE PI JOE is offline
Enigma
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Connecticut Gold Coast
Posts: 9,107
Default

Originally Posted by dogpound View post
i'm sure it'll fizzle out but the time it gets anywhere close to our area....always seems to work that way
So true! Wait a minute, Why am I laughing!

__________________
FB - Connecticut Beach And Water Hunters http:/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Magenta">White's Dual Field PI

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 08-21-2011, 08:42 PM
HarveyH48 HarveyH48 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,711
Default

Originally Posted by gtodude View post
While I was a bit complacent prior to 2004, Hurricane Charley going directly over my head while I watched our county get destroyed opened my eyes a bit. Yes I am waiting for a storm to churn things up, but I'm hesitant on wanting to relive the pure destruction that hurricanes can and do serve. Being without power really sucks after about the 3rd day of 95 degree heat, it really blows after 3 weeks. Been there done that, no fun at all. Our house was built in 2005 and I'd be really apprehensive about riding out a big storm here.
2004 was the worst year for me as well. Fortunately, out of the 4 storms that passed over us, never had to go more than 8 hours without power. I near downtown, and on the priority circuit, with the police, fire, and city hall... Knocked down most of my privacy fence, and a lot of tree limbs to cut up. The house wasn't damaged at all.

Kind of looks like this year is going to follow that pattern though, the big storms started coming the end of August, and every week or two, we had another one. The ones that come from Africa always turn out badly for somebody.
Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 08-21-2011, 09:16 PM
S.S.Tupperware S.S.Tupperware is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 523
Default

GTO I just helped move the wifes parents out of deep creek, they lived by ht e beer store on Rio. Yes the storms tore um up, brought down a jeny and fuel and other stuff and the wife started crying when we got off 75. They live up in NSB now... I know I will be headin to the condo for a few days if it is any goot, and my place isn't blown over... I am sure good storms wash stuff up, I have found some interesting pieces up near the top of sea walls that were stripped by 10 foot or so in 04.

__________________
http://www.infraredservices.net/

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 08-21-2011, 09:35 PM
gtodude's Avatar
gtodude gtodude is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 254
Default

I'm up in the far NE part of Deep Creek near Seasons and Deep Creek Blvd. Desoto county is about 1/8 mile North of me and the river is only about 1/4 mile to the East. I am very familiar with the store. I stop there for a coffee before my morning hunts on the weekends and morning coffee on my way to the office.

__________________
Minelab Equinox 800 with 11”DD Smartcoil, White's MXT 300 with Beachhunter 12” Coil, Profind 35 & Bullseye 2 Pinpointers ——2019 Clad Total: $14.73; Non-Numismatic Finds 2019: 3 rings; 2019 Old Coins: None

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 PM
OBN's Avatar
OBN OBN is offline
OldCherryPicker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,192
Default

Good, I'm on vacation again next week and planned on doing stuff around the house...but a unplanned trip to the beach won't hunt for just a day..

__________________
2019.....Gold rings..109....Misc/gold 9.....Silver/Sterling 257

Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 PM
S.S.Tupperware S.S.Tupperware is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 523
Default

They still have some familydown there, but won't be down too often to plunder your loot.

__________________
http://www.infraredservices.net/

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
during and after hurricane tinfoiled Beach and Water Hunting 3 11-09-2012 05:02 PM
Hurricane Leslie Aquaman Beach and Water Hunting 13 09-05-2012 08:09 PM
thank you hurricane irene!! kenstorm Beach and Water Hunting 22 09-13-2011 12:32 PM
MD'ing after a hurricane NHdave General Hobby Discussion 3 08-29-2010 07:54 PM
Hurricane Ike drsmithtft General Hobby Discussion 2 09-13-2008 09:10 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.