Ratphones??

looks like they got HIjacked, or something could be a miss with the DNS on the site. Wait a couple of days most people have things like this fixed be then.

Oh I take that back that person on the webpage is the owner of Ratphones. I don't know maybe he quit the biz?

Last edited:
I have made my own ratphones. I am thinking about marketing my own line of headphones. I use the same ear protection headphones that ratphones did. I also put in the limiter in a couple of the ones I made. I am working on a amp right now for headphones. It will bring the treble and bass out in the headphones so the sound will be crystal clear. You will be able to hear every little tick your detector makes. I will let you know if I decide to make them for the public or not. I will let you guys have them at cost and let you review them for me. talk to you later.

I have made my own ratphones. I am thinking about marketing my own line of headphones. I use the same ear protection headphones that ratphones did. I also put in the limiter in a couple of the ones I made. I am working on a amp right now for headphones. It will bring the treble and bass out in the headphones so the sound will be crystal clear. You will be able to hear every little tick your detector makes. I will let you know if I decide to make them for the public or not. I will let you guys have them at cost and let you review them for me. talk to you later.

Be sure to let me know, Thanks.

Devros, let us know how your project goes... I am happy with my headphones (several sets as well as Ratphones), but always looking for something better... RickO

I have been making several different ones, with / with out limiters, some 150 Ohm's some others 300 Ohm's and so on. I have been working on a set that has the super bright LED's on the side of them, it runs from a couple off of a couple of AAA's inside the ear cup. They work out really nice. I am now working on a amp, I call it the Treasure Chest Amp, it will improve sound quality dramatically, without blowing up your ear's or distorting the sound in fact it will improve any headphones so there is no distortion, it brings out the treble and bass in the detector. I might be looking for a few testers to help out with the development, I can't give them away but I will give them to the testers at cost of they want to sign up when I am ready.

I made my own headphones--Ratphones

Ratphones-DetectUSA no longer making headphones. Not enough demand,
Rick apparently decide to change his side line business and concentrate on his music. His website did not get hijacked. He now uses his DetectUSA as his homepage, check him out:
http://rickviola.com/ you can contact him thru his email link at the page bottom.

Anyways I made my own headphones for $30.00, they sound just like the Rats I owned. Would have liked to know how Rick originally built the VTs Rats with the adjustable tone control, loved the pair I had.

I myself am working on another set and a variable tone control that should only cost a few dollars to build.

Personally I don't think you can make much money on building and selling headphones for the time and effort involved unless you can massively produce high quality headsets like those currently made selling for around $120.00 and sell them for around $69-75.00. There is a limited detector market and too many headphones already on the scene. Rick's Rat's were the best quality made with the best pots and wires. You cannot buy the pots he used unless you buy in 500 quantity lots and they are made to order. That's why he couldn't deliver headsets at times, waiting for pots. The wire he used, I can't find in less than 100-500 foot rolls and it is expensive!! Rick gave his best to try to give detector owners the best headset made. Too bad, not enough folks to support him. And he gave plenty of information on how and why headphones work and why his were better.

Anyways, love my homemade set.
http://home.earthlink.net/~puddlepirate/id26.html

Attachments

• camo1.JPG
    camo1.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,274
You might want to try this

Something I also thought might be interesting in a metal detecting headphone.
Make what the audiophiles now have headphones with 4 speakers for directional sound. Two pointed rearwards towards the ear canal and two in direct line with the ear canal or just to the rear. And use two different sets of speakers. The Kobitone speakers have more of a bassier sound which I used and a a pair with a higher pitch. Headphones with a bass and treble mixing together......interesting to see what happens.

You could basically double your investment, plenty of demand, but with a lot of work. I only stopped because the manufacturer of the cups were starting to get low on quality. I would have had to start getting my own cups made to keep up the quality. That would have been a big investment. Plus, detectors started to come out with wireless.
Take that extra piece off Sven, it doesn't make much difference. Nice phones though. :)

I agree, making headphones for resale doesn't sound like a very good business model to make a decent profit considering the time required.
It's not about the profit, it's about having the Best. And being able to use them yourself and knowing you have an advantage over the next hunter.

I still have two pair of RAT MSA's. Best darn headphones I have ever used. Any time you want to start production again GoodRat I'll buy a pair.

Amazing how a thread that went to sleep on November 29, 2009 is resurrected three days before it's fourth "went to sleep" anniversary

The manufacturer is the one who resurrected the thread. What can I say. I love his work.

Back
Top Bottom