Fill your beach holes ? I don't !

KOB

Forum Supporter
Well..not exactly. If only it is extremely crowded with people will I fill my sand holes. But as of late , I don't really hunt during those times anymore. Sometimes I get requests to NOT fill the holes so kids can play in them !

I am an old time beach hunter. Some other hunters have been very confrontational about me not filling my holes. Here's my logic : I hunt with a pi. I pretty much dig up everything and pride myself on bagging my trash. Particularly fish hooks , razor blades , screws , needles, etc. Many of these are just a few inches under the sand. Others are worried about public perception, it being outlawed , bad for the hobby, etc. I don't care. I will show curious
onlookers my trash and am commended for it.

These same hunters are with a NOX or other discriminating detector that will I.D a target , know what it is , and NOT dig it. Leaving it hidden under the sand for someone to possibly step on. If you are that concerned with my holes ( that will fill on the incoming tide ) then you you should be digging all your trash. Otherwise go pound sand ! Do you see the irony ? At times, I can dig 300-500 targets. I hunt the slope and wet sand , covering a large area. Time is the enemy. There are many hazards on the beach and you use it at your own risk.

So...Are you 1 of those beach hunters that always fill your holes and DON'T dig and remove all your trash ? Guys with a discriminating detector are only lying to themselves if they dig and keep everything ! Otherwise , why discriminate ? What do you do ? Just curious....

I'm on your side here KOB! Hole filling and trash removal activities are a complete waste of time and effort! Especially on a beach! Its not our Job! We are out here hunting for treasures! We aint got no time for that!

Some of the holes dug on the beach by the general leisure populace rival the Kimberly diamond mine! So whats our little hole danger? People should pay attention to where they are walking ..It aint about us its about this Planet in general...Nothing is level or safe! Especially for bipeds, a guy has to pay attention to foot placement..what better way to learn this lesson than on a beach I figure?!:laughing:

Sideswiping in a hole fill is a complete waste of time can also tear a guys groin muscle and shutting down a good hunt , so its not advised...Not our problem..

Plus, the beneficial subsurface microbes in the sand need some oxygenation now and then, so leave those beach holes wide open! I aint hauling out any trash either!..Leave that for the self appointed Sand Philanthropists! Thats not what I'm here for! :laughing:

Attachments

• black s.jpg
    black s.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 579
So your wrong is, in your eyes, okay because others are wrong about something else?

There's plenty that fill their holes and pack out trash..

<°)))>{

Oh boy....:hornetsnest::worms::popcorn2:

Haha, my sentiments exactly.

Of course we should all pack out our trash targets. That's a given. But the other question about filling beach holes, has been the subject of past heated debates.

Let's grant, for sake of argument, that dry sand holes should be filled. Ok. But what about wet-sand inter-tidal zone holes ? Every 12 to 24 hrs, the next high tide will come up and fill them. Right ? Heck, you might be even be at the surf's edge, and incoming tide, such that the next ebbing wave will cover it.

But I know it's a contentious issue.

Tit for tat !

You must be of 1 in denial. Of course many take out trash. I'm not wrong. Just stating fact. Guys who discriminate who most likely will not dig a scratchy small iron shallow target. They shouldn't be upset by guys who don't fill their holes. It's a practice what you preach thing. Nobody on this site has ever brought this up. I actually prefer going behind these guys for what they leave behind. Too many scratchy double beeps I have found gold close by. Just don't whine about falling in a hole and I won't cry about you leaving fish hooks ! Just saying.

I fill my holes. I consider it being courteous to the other people who use the beach. I hope some one never steps in one of your holes and breaks their leg. It has happened.

A young girl (junior lifesaver) recently ran down to the sea and right at the water's edge where a detecting guy had been digging, tripped in his hole and broke her ankle!

Surely that's a good enough reason to fill in all your holes!

Right at the waters edge huh ? And the sand / water didn't fill it in ? Hmmm ok... I blame that on her parents who obviously didn't teach her to watch where you are walking/running. Probably runs across a street without looking both ways..

Right at the waters edge huh ? And the sand / water didn't fill it in ? Hmmm ok... I blame that on her parents who obviously didn't teach her to watch where you are walking/running. Probably runs across a street without looking both ways..

Why wouldn't she be entitled to run into the water without having to see some morons damn hole that he didn't bother to fill in!

Bad Habits

Are not good, fill in your holes , and you have nothing to worry about, your feeling guilty wright now, if medal detecting is banned at the beach , detectorist like you are the cause , yes i fill in all holes, yes i hunt with a PI and VLF, yes i have big scoops , yes i dig deep hole's, NO excuse , just think if your the person walking at the beach , that doesn't look down like an elderly woman who's bones are fragile, brakes her leg and hip on your hole you didn't cover up :mad::police::boxing::pirate::viking::twisted::crazy::snapoutofit::yoda:

I Use a Discriminating machine but dig 98% of all targets and dump all my trash, i fill in my holes and remove trash because its harmful to others, Plain and simple :cool3: if you can pull the treasure out then you can also remove the trash ;) its a yin and yang thing happening there, The ocean gives you some treasure as long as you do her a solid and remove some trash is how i see it, and as for the holes :wow: Man its a public place that others use day and night, so yes someone will fall in your hole and hurt them self 100% :mad: no matter if there mother told them to pay attention or not YOUR HOLE LED THEM TO HAVING A BAD TIME AND GETTING HURT AT THE BEACH :mad: I am the type that will always say something and if i see others on the beach doing so i give them the benefit of the doubt and offer my advice on how to better conduct your self as a member of this hobby, if that doesn't work well most have seen i can really be a pain in your butt if ya dont want to follow the rules lol :D

And before anyone chimes in on the other 2% , well these are the weak tiny foil signals or straight out nulls for iron that get passed but even then most of the time i dig em to remove them and not have to find them again later .

It all goes back to watch where you are walking , plain and simple. Do you drive with a blindfold on ? No. It's common sense. But you are missing the main point of the post. What about you peeps that don't dig the small iron fish hooks, needles ,etc ? It's obvious the ones most upset at hole filling are the guilty ones by there responses. They can't handle the truth !

I dig nearly all targets. If the beach is activity has people the holes get filled in. If the beach is empty and a rising tide is going to cover the hole I dug in an hour, I don't. Most of the holes collapses by them selves in the wet sand.

I Use a Discriminating machine but dig 98% of all targets and dump all my trash, i fill in my holes and remove trash because its harmful to others, Plain and simple :cool3: if you can pull the treasure out then you can also remove the trash ;) its a yin and yang thing happening there, The ocean gives you some treasure as long as you do her a solid and remove some trash is how i see it, and as for the holes :wow: Man its a public place that others use day and night, so yes someone will fall in your hole and hurt them self 100% :mad: no matter if there mother told them to pay attention or not YOUR HOLE LED THEM TO HAVING A BAD TIME AND GETTING HURT AT THE BEACH :mad: I am the type that will always say something and if i see others on the beach doing so i give them the benefit of the doubt and offer my advice on how to better conduct your self as a member of this hobby, if that doesn't work well most have seen i can really be a pain in your butt if ya dont want to follow the rules lol :D

And before anyone chimes in on the other 2% , well these are the weak tiny foil signals or straight out nulls for iron that get passed but even then most of the time i dig em to remove them and not have to find them again later .

Well stated romyrome, I'm with you on this one brother.

At least my holes people can see. The dangerous items left by discriminating detectorists are not. Don't hate the player , hate the game...

It all goes back to watch where you are walking , plain and simple. Do you drive with a blindfold on ? No. It's common sense. But you are missing the main point of the post. What about you peeps that don't dig the small iron fish hooks, needles ,etc ? It's obvious the ones most upset at hole filling are the guilty ones by there responses. They can't handle the truth !
Well your logic is incorrect sir :roll: so blind people dont enjoy the beach :?: What about children who dont know any better ? So if someone gets hurt by trash its a discriminating metal detectors fault :?: But if someone falls in a hole and brakes there leg its there own fault because they should have looked where they were going? . Look we have rules for a reason, not to be rude mean or a bully as im not, im the nicest guy youll meet but when others brake the rules and want to blame others well i am not game with that . Rules are Rules .

Back
Top Bottom