Best Headphones for Garrett ACE 350

Clair

Forum Supporter
I have a birthday coming up next month and thought I might start dropping hints about headphones.

Looks like my 350 is coming with the basic Garrett headphones.

I need advice on what would be the best headphones upgrade for an ACE 350? I've read enough to know that good headphones can help improve one's chances in the field! Keep in mind cost should be as much under $100 as possible and still be a significant improvement! (not asking for much am I?)

Thanks for help!

Last edited:
Clair,

This spring I ordered a new set of Koss QZ99, think I paid 35.00 or so. I tried this on recommendations from others on the forum. They have excellent sound, great outside noise blocking capabilities and are very comfortable. I was very happy with them. I have never tried the higher end detector phones, I just can't bring myself to spending those extra dollars, perhaps if I'd did try I'd prefer them better, but these Koss, phones don't have me looking for something else.

WITH an in-line volume control

$_12.JPG

Hi Big Treble --
Thanks! And I just checked them out for frequency response which is the thing I'm most interested in -- the Koss has this:
Frequency Response: 40-20,000 Hz

Other ones, specially advertised for MDing go up to 32,000 Hz. I am not so interested in cancelling outside noise as I am in degree of sensitivity to what my detector is hearing. I've read a lot about weak tones in the fringe area of the coil so I focussed in on that.

I guess I should have mentioned this in my OP. But thanks for the Koss info -- they actually sound great for listening to music or radio on the QT.

Cheers,
Clair

Thanks robby -- those are the hphones that are coming with my 350 -- couldn't find the freq response numbers on these, but their even better headphones only go up to 18,000 hz.

This conversation is nice for me as it is the first time I've asked for any specific advice -- so far response has been good and pretty fast!!! Love this forum.

found this advice on MDTALK

The ideal set of headphones should be:

Impedance: 8-36 Ohms for Single Frequency Detectors
32 to 150 Ohms for Multi-tone Detectors
Frequency Response: 200 - 3200 Hertz (Flat Frequency Response)
Dual Rotary Volume Control
Selector Switch for Metal Detector Compatibility
Full Ear Surround Muffs (cups) to Eliminate Ambient Noise

More info on same page at:
http://www.mdhtalk.org/cf/tips.cfm?title=Headphone%20Selection

QZ99's were a bit heavy/bulky for me. Sound was fantastic!

I'd go with Jolly Rogers or Original Gray Ghost phones. Very comfortable and very good sound.

I agree. For $22 you can't beat them. They are lightweight, cool, inexpensive and have the volume control.

yes i like the cheap garretts....i put the volume at the right level and i put a little shoe goo over the volume control ao it stays clean and stays put....if u ever wanna change volume it only takes a second to peal off silicone

Garrett easy stow, and shoe goo.....

Two winning products right there.

Those headphones take a beating & will not flinch.

With the ace series detectors you are not going to hear "whisper" tones , they have binary audio , if there is a target present you hear the same tone whether it is deep or shallow , they either beep or dont , no in between. Aces actually make a bell tone which isnt going to sound much better or different no matter what headphones you use :lol: The only real benefit to upgrading headphones with these detectors is maybe to block out other noise sources or for a more comfortable fit , or just because you want to.....and there is nothing wrong with that. Im just saying this so you dont spend the money with unrealistic expectations. With these detectors , unless you have significant hearing loss , pretty much any headphones are going to give you similar performance and the ace series are plenty loud , you really arent missing anything with the standard headphones. The more expensive headphone choices are primarily for more sophisticated detectors with variable sound abilities. The wireless idea now has a lot more going for it and atleast you can be cord free.

Thanks all.

Well - wonderful comments all. And you have helped a lot.

I will stick with the Garretts. If I win the lottery I will upgrade the MD and go with Gray Ghost Originals!
(Umm -- of course I'll have to buy a lottery ticket and I don't do that!)

Yesterday was my first outing in the backyard -- rain and snow! Of course. But 2 square nails, a once-blue TootsieToy truck, and a complete, tires intact, doors intact Pro AMX Javelin Matchbox car 1972. (I never knew they were made in England!)

Pants wet, knees frozen, heart-pounding excitement! One thing learned for sure: I need a little digger shovel. So that will now be my birthday wish!

Second thing I learned is to not keep dropping the pointer next to the digger and vice versa! lol

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom