• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

UPDATE WITH PICS, OPEN FOR COMMENT ....I did it...i've officially crossed over to the dark side

Swinglow

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
and it's all Bruce's fault!

Just won a Excal 1000 blue on ebay for $635 shipped. Gotta love those auctions ending on a Monday while people are work. (myself included :laughing:)

EDIT: I got the excal in the mail today. First off, seller did a horrendous packing job. He used painters tape to secure the box, which clearly failed. He used TWO pieces of paper towel and the sleeve from a sweatshirt as packaging material. (inadequate) :mad: and well, here's some pics. I want some opinions on if I should keep it or send it back. I'm concerned about what looks like a glue patch/repair job on the end of the control box. THere's also what looks like a slice in the coil wire, but otherwise no cracks or signs of the excessive wear. In the one pic, i'm holding the coil wire where the little slice is, for reference.

Attachments

• excal1.jpg
    excal1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 640
  • excal2.jpg
    excal2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 693
  • excal3.jpg
    excal3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 728
  • excal4.jpg
    excal4.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 707
  • coil wire.jpg
    coil wire.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 775
  • coil wire2.jpg
    coil wire2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
and it's all Bruce's fault!

Just won a Excal 1000 blue on ebay for $635 shipped. Gotta love those auctions ending on a Monday while people are work. (myself included :laughing:)

That wasn't one of you guys in Rhode Island selling this was it? Guy says he has an RTG scoop he'll throw in for $100.

Awesome!! that was quick haha

Kelly Co has an excel 1000 right now for $700 in the used section

Is that the untested one? I thought someone posted that a while ago and inquired and was told they only turn it on to make sure it powers up.

funny how we both took the plunge within an hour of so of each other. I was watching that excal auction all day but didn't want to mention it out of fear someone on here would snipe me :cool:

Main thing is make sure you don't leave the coil wire that tight by the coil. Someone that way can show you how to wrap it.

funny how we both took the plunge within an hour of so of each other. I was watching that excal auction all day but didn't want to mention it out of fear someone on here would snipe me :cool:

yeah I know how you feel haha. I've been deciding all week weather to get an older sov, this cz or a pi and I went with cz! I had a lot of offers and didn't want anyone to know because I too was afraid that one would try and snatch it up before I could make a decision. I believe in about 6 months ill try and get a pi unless I absolutely fall in love with this cz. Its my first time water hunting I hope I like it :)

Main thing is make sure you don't leave the coil wire that tight by the coil. Someone that way can show you how to wrap it.

Thanks for the heads up!

yeah I know how you feel haha. I've been deciding all week weather to get an older sov, this cz or a pi and I went with cz! I had a lot of offers and didn't want anyone to know because I too was afraid that one would try and snatch it up before I could make a decision. I believe in about 6 months ill try and get a pi unless I absolutely fall in love with this cz. Its my first time water hunting I hope I like it :)

Funny I've been doing the exact same thing since I got out in the saltwater this past weekend. So much fun!

I can tell you if you find you can only get about 5 hours hunting on the 700mah battery those maxxpacks 1600 mah have worked out great for me. Looks great especially for that price. Be careful unwinding the cable....dont force it to do something that seems unnatural if itsbanextremely stiff cable. Tape it.....very low on the lower rod so it doesnt make the cabke vibrate in the water. That can cause that cabe split some of us have had. Great machines.

Dew

Swing... you need to leave enough slack in the coil wire in case the coil flips up... I have a lot a play in mine...and get a straight shaft.

Swing... you need to leave enough slack in the coil wire in case the coil flips up... I have a lot a play in mine...and get a straight shaft.

I'd also check that wire for wear where its touching in the pic. Hopefully it got put on for the photo. If not:shock:

George, you blame me and I blame Craig:lol:...congrats on the new heater! Get a knob guard for it, and secure the headphone wire to the shaft...
IMG_0005_zps1a773a8f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]...doing this keeps strain off of where the wire enters the endcap. Check everything over good before you submerge it for the first time...and rinse it off after each hunt.

them blues are great running machines,,,,more stable and better quality than the Excal II,,,,I don't care what minelab or anyone else says, its a fact,,,,,nice clean looking machine, I wish you the best with it,,,,,it has the original HP and coil so just beware that it will need a visit to minelab at some point, I like the BBS coil better, I just had to get rid of my BBS coil on my 800,,,,when the HP go, put ANYTHIING, other than the junky yellow Koss HP the minelab has,,,GL HH

Yep

Coil wire looks to wounded up at the bottom ,not a good sign, that's 635.00 + 350.00 for a new coil , all one part-coil & cable, it will be a slim line coil when it comes back, the pick on the hood ? He has a alkaline pod on the machine, not water proof , could be the blue pod took a crapper that's (165.00 ) 635.00 + 350.00 + 165.00 could be a 1150.00 machine :shock: than you will need a strait shaft, knob guard, and fast charger another 255.00 that's 1405.00 total , I hope that the coil and pod work, anyway you did get a good price on the machine, ebay can go 2 ways Good , or Bad, good luck with your blue , Earl

Back
Top Bottom