Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 11:12 PM
Elite Member

Default My beach...the tease

Yep, my beach is a tease. All she would have to do is cut me off for a couple of hunts and I could just take a break from her but nope, she's gotta give me just enough to keep me interested. Tonight I decided to do a short hunt in hopes of finding that elusive gold. I worked a pretty small area, which unfortunately is very trashy. I didn't get gold but I did pull a standing liberty quarter. I've only found 3 of these in my life, all from this beach and all within the past 6 months. I'm also including a pic of a statue I found at this beach months ago. I don't believe I've ever posted it before so if I have I apologize. It now sits on my kitchen windowsill to greet me every morning. I swear I'm taking tomorrow off.........I think.

Tonight's soundtrack, Stevie Ray Vaughan...Little Wing.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Elite Member

Sweet SLQ.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT3lt5YN59j_6NrzpC9yg0g

Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Supporter

Man you sure are milking them out of that beach! Pretty nice spot

Congrats!

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2019 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $111.74($946.95), Silver coins: 16 (22), Wheats: 51 (98), Gold: 2 (26), Plat: 1 (1), .925 16 (75), Rings: 20 (208), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 01-07-2014, 12:38 AM
Administrator

I haven't seen one of those hindu elephant statues in a while. Used to have one myself.

It is a statue of Ganesha, also spelled Ganesa, also known as Ganapati or Vinayaka. It is a widely worshipped deity in the Hindu religion.

Ganesha is widely revered as the remover of obstacles and the patron of arts and sciences. Devotees believe that if Ganesha is propitiated, he grants success, prosperity and protection against adversity.

Finally, you might be interested to know why you found the statue on the beach. An annual festival honors Ganesha for ten days, starting on Ganesha Chaturthi, which typically falls in late August or early September. The festival begins with people bringing in clay idols of Ganesha, symbolising Ganesha's visit. The festival culminates on the day of Ananta Chaturdashi, when idols of Ganesha are immersed in the most convenient body of water. Yours wound up getting washed up on the beach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 AM
Elite Member

Nice finds! I cant wait to find my first SLQ.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by RustedShut View post
Nice finds! I cant wait to find my first SLQ.
You and me both! I wonder, with all of our rain if they are all at 24" deep or beyond? Nice job Scott! If you don't believe in all of that mumbo jumbo about the elephant you could always turn it into a waterpipe ..........(rymes with song)

Old 01-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Freshwater Shark

Originally Posted by Rudy View post
I haven't seen one of those hindu elephant statues in a while. Used to have one myself.

It is a statue of Ganesha, also spelled Ganesa, also known as Ganapati or Vinayaka. It is a widely worshipped deity in the Hindu religion.

Ganesha is widely revered as the remover of obstacles and the patron of arts and sciences. Devotees believe that if Ganesha is propitiated, he grants success, prosperity and protection against adversity.
Maybe he will help Scott remove some golden obstacles? Or maybe he will remove some trashy iron obstacles so he can find more gold?

Anyway wish you luck in finding gold there. It must be hiding somewhere.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy View post
Finally, you might be interested to know why you found the statue on the beach. An annual festival honors Ganesha for ten days, starting on Ganesha Chaturthi, which typically falls in late August or early September. The festival begins with people bringing in clay idols of Ganesha, symbolising Ganesha's visit. The festival culminates on the day of Ananta Chaturdashi, when idols of Ganesha are immersed in the most convenient body of water. Yours wound up getting washed up on the beach.

That's very interesting!! I like that

Old 01-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Athletic Supporter

R.I.P. SRV... Gotta love the way he played.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for the Stevie Ray...and congrats on the Stander!

Old 01-10-2014, 07:23 AM

Stevie Ray is the best thanks....good job on the silver to better than a pull tab