So, is the Garrett the only pointer to consider?

bacon_wrangler

Like the signature says, total noob here. I'm rapidly finding out the the detector is only a fraction of the cost to really get started, so using a cat box pooper scooper to sift at the beach :p and making a pinpointer my next purchase. From what I've been reading, there are two styles: the Garrett ProPointer, and toys. I just wanted to ask straight out if I'm better off saving my money towards the Garrett instead of spending $50-ish on something else.

Thanks!

If you don't have the money to buy a Garrett Propointer then I would get the Bounty Hunter/Fisher Propointer - it is a very serviceable pointer, does the job it was intended to do and rugged as all heck. That is what I use and I have no complaints with it. The people that bad mouth it a)have never used it before or b)used it but did not take the time to learn how to use it correctly.

GL and HH!!!

Don't waste your money on anything else. The ProPointer is an awesome tool. I haven't tried the Minelab but I've heard it's a close second to the Garrett. I know that Garrett really stands behind their product and has excellent customer service.

I have to agree with the many posts touting the praises of the Prointer.
Save for one (fast!) you'll thank us later.

If it's going to be a while, check out a harbor freight unit (search on this site)
They are about $16 and will get you by.

I called Garrett about my Pro Pointer, told them that my grommet was falling apart from me abusing it ...smiles....they gave me a RMA and told me to send her on in....I've got nothing but good things to say about the Garrett Pro Pointer. I just bought a second one as a back up.

HDD

I am a big fan of my Garrett ATP, but...

I use a harbor freight pointer and it serves me just fine after modding it..

If I ever want a better one, or if I ask Santa for a better one, it will be a Minelab Pro Find simply because I have not heard any issues with reliability.

A Garrett pointer needing to be sent back seems to be the rule rather then the exception.. There are a few guys out there that say they have had their Garrett for years with no issues, a few means 3...

YMMV but more likely it won't...

<*)))>{

If I ever want a better one, or if I ask Santa for a better one, it will be a Minelab Pro Find simply because I have not heard any issues with reliability.

A Garrett pointer needing to be sent back seems to be the rule rather then the exception.. There are a few guys out there that say they have had their Garrett for years with no issues, a few means 3...

<*)))>{

I am one of them.:p Xmas 2008.

I know everyone is always talking about their Garrett pointers, but I've been happy with my White's Bullseye II pinpointer. It has worked well for me.

The Propointer, is the fully automatic, top shelf pinpointer. Doesn't require much effort to learn how to use. Kind of like when the average TV had knobs and switches, no remote. The really expensive TVs had remotes, so you didn't have to get off the couch... The much less expensive pinpointers will get the job done, just as well, you need to put a little effort into learning how to use them, adjust them.

Unless you are in a race (credit card bill), or some sort of self-competition, it's not going to have a huge impact on your enjoyment of the hobby. You won't need a pinpointer every target. You spend the time learning to pinpoint with your main detector, you can get within an inch or two of the target, before digging. You don't need a pinpointer at the beach at all, the scoop sifts the sand you dig.

Garrett quality doesn't accurately reflect the premium price. My first Propointer went faulty, and completely useless in only 7 months. Customer service is great, quick and painless. Unfortunately, the replacement is going bad, and almost useless, needs to go back soon. Two consecutive units, with the same problem? I really don't care about fancy tools, just a reliable tool, that gets the job done.

I had the Centech from Harbor Freight, before the Propointer, modified it some, and it still works great, only $17. Didn't expect the cheapest, to be the most reliable. I got it, mostly because it was cheap, and I like to fool around with electronics, and for the price, there would be no grief if I messed it up. Was very easy to open up, and work on, kind of fun, when two hobbies come together.

I'd suggest sticking to the basic tools you can afford, learn how to use them, just get out and enjoy the hobby. You'll figure out what you need to upgrade as you go along, and what fits into your hobby budget, see if it's really going to be worth the investment for you. Depending on the area you live, and the places you hunt, might not be a whole lot of treasure jumping out of the ground, to pay equipment bills.

Hobbies are suppose to be fun and relaxing. Different people, have different definitions of fun. I don't see going into debt, and then struggling to pay for more equipment, than I really need, as fun. I've got a full time job, where I get paid to be productive. I don't see turning a hobby, into a second job, as being fun.

I love my Propointer and it took off 3/4's of my recovery time so I dig more and find more.
I bought a second one just in case and I refuse to hunt without it.

Before I got it I used a Harbor Freight $15 unit for several months and it helped me find targets way better than using nothing and it decreased my frustration and and increased my enjoyment of this hobby several fold.

I have a Fisher F Point but never use it and even though it kinda works IMO spending more than $10 on this thing is a waste...don't even think about spending close to the $50 or so this thing goes for new.

Learn to use the pinpointer on your detector is always the first goal, all of these things are just tools to make you faster.

I called Garrett about my Pro Pointer, told them that my grommet was falling apart from me abusing it ...smiles....they gave me a RMA and told me to send her on in....I've got nothing but good things to say about the Garrett Pro Pointer. I just bought a second one as a back up.

HDD

I bought a second GPP for a back up and a month later the first one starts acting up. I sent the bad one in on Nov 7 and tomorrow it should be back here. That's with three days of being on hold from the holidays.

Best part is, that it only cost me three dollars and that was on shipping it to Garrett.:yes:

I hope you didn't jinx yourself Desert Digger.

Wrapping a piece of electrical tape around the speaker hole of the GPP will make it more problem free. They are bad about getting dirt and water in there and fouling them up. Just a quick tip in case you get the Garrett.

garret all the way
how much cat poop have you found withe the kitty litter scoop:lol:
sorry just had to say it

I love my GPP, keep the speaker hole wrapped with electrical tape, and have never had a problem with it in the ~2 years I've owned it. I used the HF for a while and it works, but the GPP is much more hassle free. I don't hesitate to recommend it. If you don't have enough $ now get the HF as a temporary until you can afford the GPP. The ProFind is also an alternative, but still $$$.
My 2c.

<*)))>{

I'm another one. May of 2011 bought it and it gives me zero problems. I also got a backup but I'm not sure when I'll need it.

I'm the odd man out. Own the Pro find. Owned two pro pointers. Own the pistol probe and one of those automax POS! Me I wouldn't trade my pistol probe for 3 pro pointers I love it so much. Doesn't agree with everyone. But to me its the bees knees, wings, and stinger!:D

Back
Top Bottom