OK Water Experts.....How About Some A, B, C's of Waders.

DirtyRob

Forum Supporter
Just recently went to check out waders at BassProShops here in my hometown. I am lost. So guys, let's hear some pointers on a future purchase.

Leave nothing out to chance. These will get some action in cold Lake Michigan.

Thanks for the help!

Size, too!

I got a set of chest waders off of Craig's List.
Try em on before purchasing.
Read reviews on different brands. Some don't last very long and price isn't necessarily a positive factor .

I would go with a wet suit or dry suit. One slip or one trip and you will be so done with waders. JMHO
John

+1 on a wet suit or dry suit. IMHO chest waders can be way too dangerous especially if you happen to trip or fall. They fill up with water very quickly and there's nothing you can do. At least in my experience. I was in a pond and was going to sein it for my in-laws. The bottom of the pond was soft and it became difficult to move my legs because I was sinking into the muddy bottom. In attempting to get my feet unstuck I stumbled and was falling toward deeper water. Luckily one of my friends was standing close enough to grab me. Scared me to death. I thought I was going to drown in our own fishpond.:shock:

Drysuit...an awesome invention. :D Sorry I don't know much about waders but there are several people on here who do use them...hopefully they'll chime in.

I have worked and played in chest waders for at least 25 years now.. I like the Red Ball brand, but I have used Hodgeman too, both are pretty affordable...

Do not keep them in the garage, fumes from fuel cans and cars will cause dry rot. Keep them inside, in the basement or a cooler closet.. My Red Ball waders are over 12 years old.. I almost said my red balls are pretty old :laughing:!!!

A belt is an important safety must, especially in current... Good suspenders also make all the difference...

Also in unfamiliar waters, a life jacket might be the only reason you made it out alive....

I am not an expert water hunter for sure but nobody else had anything to say about waders so... Maybe because they are experts and waders are for newbies as far a MD goes? I am just a well seasoned fisherman that gets asked to help pull docks way too late in the season... :laughing:

Good luck!!!

<*)))>{

Tuck your pants into your socks and easy on the beverages before hunting, and try your best to pee before putting them on :D

<*)))>{

Tuck your pants into your socks and easy on the beverages before hunting, and try your best to pee before putting them on :D

<*)))>{

And if you cut the cheese in chest waders you'll be reminded pretty quickly:lol:
If you buy Chest waders with the booties at the bottom and have to buy wading shoes get a couple sizes bigger than you normally wear. I wear 12's and my wading boots are 14's. You can double up on socks too to help keep your feet warmer. I wanted the separate shoes in case I ever slip up and slice one. That way the waders are still okay.

If you buy Chest waders with the booties at the bottom and have to buy wading shoes get a couple sizes bigger than you normally wear.

Aka, stocking foot, I have never tried those, but a lot of guys prefer them..

<*)))>{

Might consider putting a tether on your detector, and other gear (scoop). You get into trouble, take a spill, you'll want both hands free, quickly. Always a good idea to have a friend with you, when playing in the water.

I haven't graduated to detecting in deep water yet, but do have chest waders due to Steelhead/Salmon fishing.
Ice Scratcher offers some good insight.
I'll add that there are a couple types of waders out there, neoprene vs. breathable. Neoprene is reportedly warmer in cold weather conditions, but I have breathable waders and seem to stay warm enough over a couple hour period by wearing long johns, jeans, and heavy socks, but not everyone tolerates cold the same. How deep in the water you are will also play a roll in how fast you get cold. I can stand in knee deep water a lot longer than I can in waist deep as the compression of the water around the waders cuts down on the insulating properties of the layers of clothes underneath. That might be where neoprene is superior. Can't say from experience though. Personally, I'm not a fan of neoprene either as I find it's much harder for me to get the waders on and off, but that's just my opinion.
What's nice about breathable waders is that as the weather warms you can continue to use them without turning into a sweaty mess, since the neoprene works as a good insulation during the summer too. But again, personal opinion.
And as already stated, wear a wading belt at all times. If you take a dunk, it'll keep the water from pouring down your waders and may save your life depending on where you're hunting.
As for boot foot or stocking foot. I prefer stocking foot, but that's my choice for fishing as I wear felt soled wading boots to help navigate the slippery boulders of the rivers. Probably something you wouldn't need for MDing. You don't have to buy specially made wading boots and can substitute an old pair of oversized sneakers.
I have a pair of Cabela's brand, but I hear Walmart has some good prices on the Hodgeman's.
Good luck with your decision.

Try to get lifetime replacement waders, may cost you twice the price but the average life of waders is about 2 to 3 years
if you use them often

I have both the booted and sox's waders. I like the soxs better but the booted are warmer when it is bitter cold. And they are heavier, like lead. My two sets of waders are the breathable, I just dress as needed. Heavy... A PFD is a good investment, the one I have you can blow it up as needed, and it is a fishing vest also so I can hide my goodies.
Your going to need some good gloves also...red clammer gloves or Some 5mm neoprene's ..Hotpads are good also, you can get them at Bass Pro, good for the feet....The head will need some serious protection, Neoprene hood or a good face mask...One thing I always do is wear plastic, on my feet, and plastic gloves for the hands .. makes slipping into things quick....

Got something different coming STOHLQUIST Gripp-Loc Dry Top , been using a drysuit for several years but kind of a pain to get in and out. Have a couple sets of waders and will be trying them in combo with a drytop.

Ok here's my two cents.....
I did the cold weather river thing for steel head and salmon for years.

I have 5mm thick neoprene with 1000 gram thinsulate and felt bottom boots. These can't be beat in cold conditions and slippery rocks. Here's similar ones:http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/ense...oryId=105697080&ensembleId=6058&type=ensemble

Pros:
1. Easy to repair if you get a hole. Just rubber cement and fabric.
2. Tight fit. Very important if you take a fall. You dont want them to fill with water.
3. Great for cold water hunting. Warm as can be.
4. Durable. Make sure its the 5mm thick neoprene.
5. Great traction on slimy rocks with felt soles. Suck in the mud.
6. Less surface area to get pushed around by the current. Tight fit.
7. Suspenders are built in.

Cons:
1. Hot in the summer.
2. Stuck with the one style boot.

In the fall, winter, and spring they can't be beat period. In the dog days of summer the breathables may be the better option. I use mine for bow fishing in the summer and they can be warm to wear. But slipping through the water with a tight fit is nice. Make sure what ever you get you have suspenders, a belt (if not tight fitting), and ankle gators. Ankle gators are a little Velcro strap that you put around the bottom of your pants. It holds your pants in place when you put your foot in the waders.

I prefer Cabela's breathable waders, warrior 2's are my favorites(not always shown on their site/catalog). Ditched neoprene's several years ago, won't ever go back (after wearing out several pairs). Just layer clothing accordingly, like sweatpant's and/or long johns, fleece.... so much easier to move/walk in than heavy neoprenes. Have been out in sub freezing temps for hours duck hunting and metal detecting, only thing that gets cold is the hands (don't recommend neoprene gloves either, one set per hunt usually, they don't hold up worth a hoot to serious digging, recommend shoulder length chemical handling gloves aka trapping gloves. Just my opinion and experience.

Ditto the "go light on the beverages before hunts" when out detecting in waders.... especially places like Chicago beaches / Lake Michigan

Back
Top Bottom