Whites...old school?

gman2304

I'm new here but wondering why there doesn't seem to be many guys who use Whites MD's. Even though the Whites has been around for decades and seem to have a well respected name, have they fallen behind in the technology department? I have found a couple of they're XLT models on CL for between 300 and 400 dollars. These were fairly expensive machines when new, but should I look for some other brand in the used category for about the same money? Thanks

I've been a whites guy for the past 30+ years and to me they're one of the best machines out there. I'm currently using a DFX because it's a two frequency detector and has a better choice of coils but the XLT and the older models still are very good machines.

Far from it. White's is very respected. Their new V3i is as good as any on the market. I was a White's man for more than 20 years and only within the last 2 years gave up my trusty DFX for the Garrett AT Pro.

I think the fact the DFX can still command $500 at its age is a testament to how good they are.

Far from it. White's is very respected. Their new V3i is as good as any on the market. I was a White's man for more than 20 years and only within the last 2 years gave up my trusty DFX for the Garrett AT Pro.

I think the fact the DFX can still command $500 at its age is a testament to how good they are.

Yep.. What he said.

We are the minority on this forum for sure, but not the others.

There was another thread on this subject a while back:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=133898

My reply to that thread:
"Most of the other forums that I visit have plenty of White's users. My theory on why there's not as many here is due to the fact that most of the FMDF board sponsors seem to push Minelab, Fisher and Garrett. A lot of new folks come here looking for their first machine, and they probably jump on suggestions from sponsors. Just a guess."

Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards a used XLT on CL, but I'm making myself take baby steps, as with any hobby it can get out of control ...fa$t !!! I'm really liking what I'm seeing in researching the different Whites models. Advice and opinions are appreciated. G

Rattlehead, thanks for the link. I didn't know this ground had already been covered...LOL!!! G

I am hoping that the XLT is a good detector, I bought a real nice one (the older rainbow model) over the winter, haven't used it yet but am itchy to try it as soon as the weather permits. From what I have read, the people I have talked with all seem to like the XLT. Here is some more reading on the XLT http://www.findmall.com/list.php?41 and http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/forumdisplay.php?61-XLT-amp-Spectrum Here is the manual if you want to download and read it http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lfZeqF-8CpJY0zbYwCuvlEA&bvm=bv.43287494,d.dmQ

Rattlehead, thanks for the link. I didn't know this ground had already been covered...LOL!!! G

You're welcome. :cheers:

I am hoping that the XLT is a good detector, I bought a real nice one (the older rainbow model) over the winter, haven't used it yet but am itchy to soon as the weather permits. From what I have read, the people I have talked with all seem to like the XLT. Here is some more reading on the XLT http://www.findmall.com/list.php?41 and http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/forumdisplay.php?61-XLT-amp-Spectrum Here is the manual if you want to download and read it http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lfZeqF-8CpJY0zbYwCuvlEA&bvm=bv.43287494,d.dmQ

The XLT is a fine detector. I used them for years and found lots of good stuff with 'em.

Can't go wrong with the Whites MXT either!! Should be able to find a used one that is affordable!

My first 'tector was/is a MXT Pro. I loved it...simple and powerful with great depth and discrimination (5.3 coil or similar is a must for trashy spots).

I would highly recomment White's products and just can't bring myself to sell mine.

bought my used xlt three years ago. I love it and will be a white's guy for a long time. I can hold my own with anybody. after 1 year I felt good about my machine, after 2 years I felt great about my machine, after 3 years watch out and get out the way. it talks to me and I know what its telling me. HH blev

Whites: The Cadillac of Mds. Big, heavy, nice features, last forever, hold retail value, and somewhat $.

I use the White's Matrix M6, and it has served me well! I had an opportunity to upgrade to a machine in a much higher price range a few years ago, but in the end, I figured I had done so well with the M6, I saw no reason to shell out the money to replace it!

I'm in the market for another detector now, as my hubby is now swinging the coil. (he's using our son's Fisher F2 at the moment.) We're looking to maybe purchase the White's MXT PRO.

White's is the business! :music:

Yeah I'm planning on picking up a Mxt Pro in the next month. Whites machines are a little heavier but in my opinion more balanced then most other companies. There made in the USA, and I feel better about buying an american made machine since the economy is struggling. I was able to test out an M6, Mxt pro, a Garret at pro, and a few other machines. The Whites machines felt much more solidly built. It also performed as good if not better then the other machines on a test we did. The only other machine that was much faster was the tesoro DeLeon, but I'm talking swinging over multiple objects lined up as fast as you can swing. I was thinking about the at pro, but it just felt cheaply made to me. I just liked the waterproof part. If you talk to anyone who's been metal detecting for years, they will tell you that you can't go wrong with Whites.

I love the MXT. It is a great detector and one that I use almost all the time. I don't use it in water so that it where the CZ21 will come into use. The MXT has never let me down.

Whites makes a quality machine. The one I learned on (6000di) was my grandpas and its now 32 years old. Its heavy but still works well. My Uncle is rockin the V3i, solid built and tons of tech. Great machines.

I would have bought a new white's if I didnt want/need the waterproof feature of the AT Pro. White's is still on my short list.

In my opinion, White's are still some of the best detector models available. They are not as readily available through the sponsors though and so other detectors get more attention and are recommended more often because sponsors aren't going to try to sell you something they don't carry. Personally, I feel if White's would merge the features and simplicity of its Coinmaster GT with the circuitry of the MXT, they might be onto something. It seems their models are either basic, though very good like the MXT Pro, a little too complicated and in-depth like the V3I, and DFX, XLT models, or more entry level and look cheap like the Coinmaster models. I have not tried the Coinmaster GT so can only base my opinion on reviews. Again, JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom