Poppers & Probes...question

willieb18

I see a lot of people on here talking about their poppers and probes. I looked around and seen some but how do you use them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: A stupid question

When I am coin popping at a school or park, I operate like this...

First I pinpoint with my detector using the x method (my detector doesn't have a pinpoint feature). When I feel like I have a good idea of where the target is, I poke the ground with my probe, until I feel it hit something. My probe is a 6'' flathead screwdriver with the end sanded round. After a while you get a pretty good idea of what a coin feels like. If the coin is 1'' or less, I just pry it out with the probe. If it is deeper, I cut a tiny plug with my pocket knife, remove the turf, and retrieve the coin. If the target is very deep, or if i can't hit it with my probe, or if I'm somewhere i can make a mess, I use my Lesche digger.

The flat head screwdriver has worked great for me. It doesn't scratch coins and it's nice and sturdy. I've even become pretty good at poking it right through pull tabs and pulling them out from 4'' down with out any digging. And the nice thing about coin popping is that it is pretty quick and it leaves virtually no mark on the turf at all.

Of course, I have done most of my detecting at modern schools and parks, where I am pretty sure I will find all modern coins. If I were somewhere where I thought I had a reasonable chance of finding an old coin, I would just pull plugs with the Lesche.

has any ever used liquid rubber on the tip of the screw driver or will that make it harder to feel your target?

Unless you have really rocky soil, go to the Jimmy Sierra website and check out the plug popper. I wouldn't leave home without it. Don't let the $39.95 scare ya, it's worth every penny.
Go to www.jimmysierra.com and click on digging tools.

Liquid rubber isn't going to stay on very well unless your soil is extremely easy to dig in. We're talking freshly plowed and moist Iowa dirt :lol:

too many rocks in EASt TN as well. I dig a little plug and then put any other dirt I take out on towel so I can place it back.
Paul

I'm lucky Okie, my soil conditions here will rival anything Iowa has. :yes:

Hmmm I don't like the title "Re: A stupid question " only because I haven't heard one yet.
There is some solid advice here. But consider the photo attatched. One poke with a probe or popper and this would have a scratch accross the face. :(

Attachments

• Reealeo.JPG
    Reealeo.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 237
Back
Top Bottom