Headphones for snake country...

Daugela

Can someone advise for headphones reagrding this area. Something that's quality, but allows me to hear a rattle snake is needed.....I guess nothing to totally conver your ears? thanks

Daugela said:
Can someone advise for headphones reagrding this area. Something that's quality, but allows me to hear a rattle snake is needed.....I guess nothing to totally conver your ears? thanks
The kind that stay in the box! I would definitely NOT wear headphones if that is the terrain you are working in. Just my opinion.

if its a great sight to hunt wear headphones and invest in those leggings that deflect snakebites. And track shoes after you feel the strike :lol:

Try single earcup phones. Grey ghost & Black Widow if memory serves me correctly. Also there a quite a few lightweights (quality units) with volume controls. I use a pair when I have 2 legged snakes lurking about and there is nobody to watch my back.

beerdoodle said:
if its a great sight to hunt wear headphones and invest in those leggings that deflect snakebites. And track shoes after you feel the strike :lol:
That would work for walking through the area but at some point you are going to be digging and on the same level as the snake. I would much rather hear it than feel it!

I used the Grey Ghost single cup headphones whilst in the States and I think they are called 'Rattlers'. Very good like all the G.G. products.
British OADS headphones are interesting if you can get hold of them. Ventilate the ears so good for hotter areas of the world.

That's why I like hunting the woods and water areas in winter. No ticks, no chiggers, no snakes and no weeds/tall grass. :lol:

Good info guys. It seems the headphones (The Stinger) that allow you to ear basically only have one ear cone. It looks like they (Stingers) can be converted into double cones.

JUst got my new MTX and wanted to use my Whites cash for the phones. It would have been nice if they offered a single up cone.

You can't depend on a rattlesnake giving you any warning at all. I have walked up and numerous rattlesnakes that never made a sound or any movement to give them away. Your best snake detection system is your eyes. While detecting you are looking at the ground anyhow so tune in to looking for snakes while the detector searches for finds. Either get some snake proof boots or chaps from a sporting goods supplier like http://www.basspro.com/ or http://www.cabelas.com/ and they work! Before bending over to dig a find take a good look around first and you will avoid the sneaky snakes.

Back
Top Bottom