New York City advice

ugadigger

Elite Member
We’re planning a trip over the Fourth of July. This will be our first time to the big Apple. I know I am insane but I’m ready to check it off the bucket list as my kids are growing up and soon will have careers etc. So here’s what I know:

Georgia to NY via car is about 14 hours and we’ll probably plan a days traveling. If you had 4-5 days to see the city what are must see places events?

We’re possibly looking at staying in NJ instead of Manhattan because we’re a family of 6 and probably going to be needing 2 rooms yikes my wallet is screaming!

Feedback is appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been there a few times, never really had any trouble driving in to the city and finding a parking lot and then walking around once I was in the area I wanted to be.
Lots of good museums if that is your thing. Go on a bus tour, but be aware many of them start around central park and end down the south end of the island. Go poke around at some flea markets. Get a selfie in front of the T tower and give a thumbs up or the one finger salute depending on your thoughts.
Lots to do there but it is an EXPENSIVE city!
4 to 5 days is probably more than I would want to spend there, maybe take a trip up to CT and detect with a member from here? It's only a couple of hours, depending on traffic...

My parents lived there for a few years and we got up there 3 times. One cool free thing to do is ride the Staten Island ferry out and back. You can see the Statue of Liberty from it.

I've only been to New York City one time, back in the 70s when I was 14 years old. Spent the day touring the city. Being a kid from Florida, I was sporting flip flops. My feet never touched the ground, yet by the end of the day they were filthy.

We were just there for the first time 2 weeks ago. It crazy shoulder-to-shoulder crowds in some places. Everything in NYC is crazy expensive too, be prepared. But, if you like an busy adventure, you'l probably like NYC.

Thanks for the replies guys! We are going to start in New York staying in Newark. We are considering Boston and then Niagara Falls to finish before heading home. I’m going to plan for 2 weeks hopefully won’t need to use it all. I know I gotta be insane right...’

Thanks for the replies guys! We are going to start in New York staying in Newark. We are considering Boston and then Niagara Falls to finish before heading home. I’m going to plan for 2 weeks hopefully won’t need to use it all. I know I gotta be insane right...’

Insane? Yes. Best of luck to you UGA.

Be careful in Newark- that place is a war zone. Why are you staying there? Not sure what kinda guy you are, but a word of caution-don’t bring any firearms with you, especially NYC. NJ and NY are not gun friendly.
And if your going around the 4th of July, do yourself a favor and stay out of Chinatown.

Be careful in Newark- that place is a war zone. Why are you staying there? Not sure what kinda guy you are, but a word of caution-don’t bring any firearms with you, especially NYC. NJ and NY are not gun friendly.

And if your going around the 4th of July, do yourself a favor and stay out of Chinatown.

We aren’t planning on packing but shhh don’t tell the thugs! Thanks for the heads up!

If you are going to do some exploring, get to Watkins Glen, take a bus/van to the top and walk down the glen to the parking lot. Cool place to take kids, and cheap! KT enjoyed that and a trip to the finger lakes and small local wineries some 25 years ago!

If you are going to do some exploring, get to Watkins Glen, take a bus/van to the top and walk down the glen to the parking lot. Cool place to take kids, and cheap! KT enjoyed that and a trip to the finger lakes and small local wineries some 25 years ago!
Same here KT, I was traveling with my company, a defense contractor. I was in my late 20’s and we were at Seneca Lake. Did the wine tasting rounds (I took a jar of Rolaids) and we hit Watkins Glen. Ahhh, the memories. Did that tour several times in the 90’s.

I have been there a few times. If I ever go back it will be because some Police Officer has me shackled and cuffed.

No I did not enjoy my visits to the concrete jungle.

I have been there a few times. If I ever go back it will be because some Police Officer has me shackled and cuffed.

No I did not enjoy my visits to the concrete jungle.

I will probably have the same conclusion but it’s a bucket list item in fact I hope to check out most of the eastern states including Maine, NH, VT. Who knows? We’ll see...!

Back
Top Bottom