I'm in a quandary about which scoop to buy

jhpsy

I need a scoop. Long handled. I live in the midwest and will nearly always be scooping dry sand or sand at the edge of lakes and rivers. But I'm traveling to Hawaii for the month of October and will need a scoop for beach and surf. I will periodically visit my son in southern Florida and use my scoop there, too.

I've watched videos, read reviews, and have narrowed it down to two different scoops. And I'm now stuck. I could use some advice from anyone with experience.

One scoop I'm considering is the Beachmaster 37" Water Scoop with Special Kick Type Handle. It would be very sturdy, I love the kick feature and the handle. I think it will fit into my large suitcase if I angle it a bit.

The other scoop I'm considering is the Beachmaster 2 in 1 Adjustable Handle Scoop. Easier for travel. I like the 1/2" mesh basket. It is not reinforced like the Kick model is, and I have seen some videos of dented baskets - although I'm not sure it was exactly this scoop that was referred to in those videos.

Well, I just don't seem to be able to come to a definite decision. And I need to place an order very soon! :frustrated:

Suggestions, anyone?

I would buy a Stealth scoop,(no handle) lifetime guarantee ! You can purchase a wood handle at any hardware store. easy to pack only the scoop in a suitcase. Check them out and the best of luck!

Don't waist your money, just go to SUNSPOT TOOLING SYSTEMS get a stealth scoop I have the 720 and the 920ix they are both excellent scoops. Also I have the carbon fiber handle, the weight of the 920ix with cf handle is only 3.90 lbs. that's it. You can hunt all day. Plus the warrant is amazing.

Can't beat a Sun Spot (I have the 720 I ). Indestructible and Lifetime Warranty.
Not cheap tho.
I didn't check your bio info. Have you salt water detected before?

A sunspot stealth might be too heavy duty for you and ($$).
You can always start smaller. Main thing is solid construction, good size holes and construction based on how much (deep) you want to go.

Thank you all for your advice. It is much appreciated.

I'd really love to have a stavr or a sunspot, but they are too pricey for me. I'm looking to spend about $75. No more than $90. The two I've been considering fall into that price range, and they are both quite light (about 1.6 lbs, I think) which is important to me.

I have not detected in the water before, so this will be a new experience for me and I'm really looking forward to it!

Right now, I'm still undecided about which of the two scoops to buy: either the Beachmaster 2 in 1 adjustable handle scoop, or the model that is 37" with the kick type handle.

I'd like to hear from people who have used one or both of those scoops, and get some info about how well they hold up, etc.

You'll want to read this post a forumite made some years back on the Beachmaster scoop. If you're detecting dry sand, this scoop would be fine, but in the water, I'm not so sure. A water scoop is specifically built with reinforcements to handle the heavier weight of wet sand, along with the extra stress wet sand places on the scoop frame.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=75263

IMO, find some more clad and up your budget slightly to get one of the RTG scoops with a straight handle that is braced at the bucket...

It should serve you well for years...

I have a 5" stainless one that has found over 100 golds, and over 300 rings..

<°)))>{

bd8a0a0a1d8c75eedc0c6f1847b51bc4.jpg
need stainless? If not. 16" + 24" travel handle by boarder line engineering + $10? Shipping

Back
Top Bottom