Headphone cord shorting ?

SteveW-MT

So it appears my Garrett h/p cord is getting short in it . Get random pops , crackles & one side cutting out quickly as I swing . They have maybe 8 months use on them & it's been going on for some time . I can't just grab the cord & make it do it but it sure does it on it's own while swinging . I took the ear cups apart & no obvious broken wires . This is my 2nd set ( 2 detectors ) & both do it . Anyone else have this issue , especially with the higher end phones ? I certainly do not want to spend a bunch more just to revisit this in another brand that costs more . Really interested in going wireless but not convinced that it's really figured out yet from all the conflicting posts on that subject . Thanks in advance .

Call Garrett, they will take care of you.

You should confirm it is the cable, and not any adaptors or other items.

They use quality stuff.

Next time beef up the connector where the headphone cable enters with electrical tape and safety wire the cable to the armcuff or shaft to keep it in place and from getting pulled on...this is a set of GG's on my Sovereign but it's a good idea to do this with any machine/headphones to avoid stress on the headphone cable...
IMG_00481_zpsydf4xl0i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next time beef up the connector where the headphone cable enters with electrical tape and safety wire the cable to the armcuff or shaft to keep it in place and from getting pulled on...this is a set of GG's on my Sovereign but it's a good idea to do this with any machine/headphones to avoid stress on the headphone cable...
IMG_00481_zpsydf4xl0i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Most of the time, the wire either brakes or gets pulled off the 90 degree connector where it goes into the machine. Many are poorly soldered before being molded with the plastic or the wires in the cable are very thin and easily break. They can easily be fixed by cutting off the connector and shortening it a few inches then soldering on a new 90 degree connector. If you need the parts or want it done for you, let me know and I'll make you a deal on some?

Jeff

Jeff, the connector is fine, the headphones were new. I put the tape on and tied it up from day one so there won't be problems down the road. I spent almost 4 years learning how to break headphones to get this far:laughing:

So it appears my Garrett h/p cord is getting short in it . Get random pops , crackles & one side cutting out quickly as I swing . They have maybe 8 months use on them & it's been going on for some time . I can't just grab the cord & make it do it but it sure does it on it's own while swinging . I took the ear cups apart & no obvious broken wires . This is my 2nd set ( 2 detectors ) & both do it . Anyone else have this issue , especially with the higher end phones ? I certainly do not want to spend a bunch more just to revisit this in another brand that costs more . Really interested in going wireless but not convinced that it's really figured out yet from all the conflicting posts on that subject . Thanks in advance .

Most of the time, the wire either brakes or gets pulled off the 90 degree connector where it goes into the machine. Many are poorly soldered before being molded with the plastic or the wires in the cable are very thin and easily break. They can easily be fixed by cutting off the connector and shortening it a few inches then soldering on a new 90 degree connector. If you need the parts or want it done for you, let me know and I'll make you a deal on some?

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom