Stories of buried silver coins in mason jars.

Might be more valuable find than you think. How old is that tobacco tin and what's the condition? This guy, who was showing me a cellar hole he thought I should detect, said his friend had found an old tobacco tin laying on ground and sold it on Ebay for $100.

Sorry to call up an ancient thread, but I was reading through this one and remembered a story from my grandfather that he must have told me in the mid 1980s. When he was a little boy (around 1910) in Scranton, PA, he was playing with some other little kids, and they stumbled upon a cache. It was a hoard of gold coins stashed in a stone wall, which partly collapsed while they were playing on it. Unfortunately, they attracted the attention of a local bum who was passing by, and he chased them off angrily, screaming that the gold was "poison." Next time my grandpa saw him, he had all new clothes and looked like a million bucks. :shock: I hope the gold really was booby-trapped with something poisonous and he died later. :mad:

Personally, I never found a cache, except for a couple of dropped change purses that don't really count. One contained a 1913 Barber dime and a 1908-D quarter, plus a stack of pennies dating from 1885-1915 that were horribly corroded around the edge. The other had a load of 1920s wheats, a 1923 Merc. in AU, and a Standing quarter that is probably 1919-s, but you can only read the "9" and the "s" due to wear.

I often wonder if I missed some caches over the years at old farmhouse foundations by refusing to dig "overload" signals. I despise getting a strong silver dollar signal, only to dig down 20 inches and find remnants of a corroded farm tool that didn't read out as iron. Thus, I usually skip the overloads. Maybe that's a mistake?

I was approached last fall at an auction sale by an older gal who was telling me of some guy a few miles south of town that died. She said he was known to bury his money and had several stashes. Im not getting my hopes up but Im fixing on getting permission through her and see what happens.

Haven't had the privilege of finding a cache yet, but I got a few leads to check out. HH

Proud to be a Texan!

Defector begs monks for buried gold inheritance

It has all the elements of an inimitably Korean legend - a North Korean defector, buried gold and suspicious Buddhist monks serving as unwitting guardians of a 50-year inheritance - but a happy ending to this modern-day adventure story is far from guaranteed.

In late December, a 41-year-old North Korean defector surnamed Kim visited Donghwa Temple on Mount Palgong, Daegu, and told the resident Buddhist monks they were sitting on a gold mine - that belonged to him.

He claims his stepfather buried 40 kilograms (88.2 pounds) of gold bullion, worth 2.6 billion won ($2.24 million) by today’s prices, underneath the backyard of the temple’s main sanctuary after the outbreak of the 1950-53 Korean War.

Entire article...
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2946743

I can honestly say I have dug a mason jar that had 50 steel wheat pennies in it. The unfortunate thing was that my teenage daughter buried them while she was home from college over the summer. She did go all out to play a joke on dad by going out and buying a roll of steel wheats.This is what she was doing when I told her I found it.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

found my cache spread out near the base of an old oak tree with glass in the pile im pretty sure it was in some kind of jar

found silver jars

I found 8 jars of silver coins and 2 tubes of blea h powder containers of silver coins diging a waterline by hand to my moms housr the guy who owned the house before was tje milk man gusse he biried all the change from delivring milk need to get a MD to scan for more

Back
Top Bottom