Sovereign GT air testing

Very Cool Crumbles, I like!!

Excalibur first with 14.8 Volts 1300 mA 4c LiPo
Then the 1600mA NIMH BATTERY Onlybatterypack 12 V (Green)
Then the stock Minelab Battery 11.5 V
Then with Shauns AfterBurner coil AMP

Each I will measure at full and then 9.5

I like the way you think!

You should sell OBN tricked out Excals. With skullies, amp, straight shaft with pinpoint button on handle, and improved battery. I bet people would be lining up for them.

I'm looking at switching over to lipos as well and was wondering what kind of run times you guys normally get? Is it that much better than running AA's or the nimh pack?

Stock pack is 1000mah, with these being 1450mah they should get about 50% longer run time. Stock pack is supposed to run for 20 hours or so I think. I charge my batteries after every hunt so don't know the run time.

The biggest advantage with Lipo batteries is that they hold nearly full voltage until they are almost out of juice, then the voltage drops quickly. Where as with nimh or alkaline they are only at full voltage for the first half hour or so, then you are running on a decreased voltage until you charge again or replace batteries.

OBN knows a lot more about this stuff than me, maybe he will chime in on more advantages.

Edit: Lipos also charge very quickly. :D

Last edited:
Crumbles, I'm still very much a rookie when it comes to Batteries. But I am going to see if there is any advantage, It may take me a year to come back and say this is the Ticket. I was told thru sources connected to minelabs that the stock batteries fully charged after 30 minutes will start to have a weakened transmission Field, so Now I have the way, he asked if I could give him a report.

I enjoy getting feed back from those that experience what I do, Hunter in NY......

I had a chance to use the Excal about 10 days ago for a few hours with the Skullies and the PP switch. Let me tell you – although I didn’t find anything good at this particular beach spot – the set-up is DEADLY!!!

Maybe 1 of you experts can help answer this quesiton.
I fried the Sov GT recharge as soon as I plugged it in. Fried. Done.
I cut off the tip that plugs into the Sov battery and attached it to a new charger. Here are the specs.
Minelab charger: input 110v 60hz. Output 15v DC 100mA
New charger : input 100-240v 50-60hz. Output 15v DC 3000mA
The new charger should recharge the battery after 1 or 2 hours.... But the green light on the battery never dims or goes out. I have charged the battery for up to 40 hours. Nothing gets hot but the light never goes out. The battery will run for more than 12 hours.... But just curious why the light is always on. Can anyone help solve the problem?

I charge my batteries after every hunt so don't know the run time.
. :D

I do the same, and always check with the volt meter before and after I charge.

I can't understand why anyone would have to change batteries in the middle of a hunt. Check your battery before you leave the house and get maximum performance out of your machine.

The DFPI is the only machine I don't do this with because I can't check the battery externally. However, I keep a log of the run time and change accordingly.

Maybe 1 of you experts can help answer this quesiton.
I fried the Sov GT recharge as soon as I plugged it in. Fried. Done.
I cut off the tip that plugs into the Sov battery and attached it to a new charger. Here are the specs.
Minelab charger: input 110v 60hz. Output 15v DC 100mA
New charger : input 100-240v 50-60hz. Output 15v DC 3000mA
The new charger should recharge the battery after 1 or 2 hours.... But the green light on the battery never dims or goes out. I have charged the battery for up to 40 hours. Nothing gets hot but the light never goes out. The battery will run for more than 12 hours.... But just curious why the light is always on. Can anyone help solve the problem?

The light never does go out. It's hard for me to tell when the light gets a little dimmer. I just plug them in at bedtime and unplug in the morning. Excal without a light the same way.

Back
Top Bottom