Cen-Tech pinpointer issue

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
My Cen-Tech started working intermittently - it is not the switch (replaced). Sometimes it works, sometimes not. If I click the switch enough times it will eventually work. The LED light always comes on, but it won't sound off. Tried motor and/or speaker, so those work ok. Anybody had this issue and resolve?

New switch, tested speaker and vibrate motor, LED always turns on, fresh battery, tested battery connection....

Does have thermister addition.

Pretty much giving up on it, don't really find it amazingly useful, but before tossing it out figured I'd ask!

Thanks.

My Cen-Tech started working intermittently - it is not the switch (replaced). Sometimes it works, sometimes not. If I click the switch enough times it will eventually work. The LED light always comes on, but it won't sound off. Tried motor and/or speaker, so those work ok. Anybody had this issue and resolve?

New switch, tested speaker and vibrate motor, LED always turns on, fresh battery, tested battery connection....

Does have thermister addition.

Pretty much giving up on it, don't really find it amazingly useful, but before tossing it out figured I'd ask!

Thanks.

If it is now cold and it wasn't when you mucked with the blue pot, go back in and turn it the other way. Adjust the pot so the thing sounds off with the external knob in the center of it's travel. That is what the pot is for, to make sure there is sufficient adjustment either way to get it balanced. And yes, this did happen to me. Also if you have the coil of wire on the pointer, remove it.

If I click the switch enough times it will eventually work.

My thoughts...

It is the switch... Unsolder the wires from the switch and twist them together, to bypass the need for the switch.. It should work fine, and you'll just need another switch...

My switch that I put in is going bad too. I noticed it will light up, and look like it is on, but it is not letting enough amps/volts through the connection to allow the pointer to work correctly... It does not take much at all to light up the LED, the rest of the unit requires more juice...

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

The LED is much of an indicator, needs 3.4 volts, and only a few milliamps to glow dimly, 20 milliamps max. Never really cared for those 9 volt snap connectors, rough on the wires, as you stuff the battery in the case, remove it...

Had issues with my dads (its modded with the motor and new switch). I took it apart and started testing. Found a voltage drop on the board. I removed the screw that holds the pointer to the board. Found that the little bit of movement between the pointer and the board wore through the traces on the board under the pointer. I chipped a little of the coating off the traces and laid a strand of copper wire across the traces making a "bridge" across the bad spot. Soldered it in place and it works great again.

My thoughts...

It is the switch... Unsolder the wires from the switch and twist them together, to bypass the need for the switch.. It should work fine, and you'll just need another switch...

My switch that I put in is going bad too. I noticed it will light up, and look like it is on, but it is not letting enough amps/volts through the connection to allow the pointer to work correctly... It does not take much at all to light up the LED, the rest of the unit requires more juice...

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

Thanks for the ideas. Tried bypassing the switch and it still behaves the same : sometimes works, other times nope.

Tried speaker or motor, new battery terminal (had them), switch/no switch, thermistor removed, internal pot adjustments etc.

Pretty sure I'm just going to e-waste it. Didn't find it super handy anyway !

Thanks for the idea to bypass the switches all together.

Had issues with my dads (its modded with the motor and new switch). I took it apart and started testing. Found a voltage drop on the board. I removed the screw that holds the pointer to the board. Found that the little bit of movement between the pointer and the board wore through the traces on the board under the pointer. I chipped a little of the coating off the traces and laid a strand of copper wire across the traces making a "bridge" across the bad spot. Soldered it in place and it works great again.

I will take a look at that area, thanks for the mention.

Back
Top Bottom