Keep or send back my f2?

haymitch

First off, when I make a big purchase, I tend to get overly obsessive abut whether I got the right item or not.

So, I ordered the Fisher F2 all in one package (8" & 4" sniper coil, and cheap pinpointer).

After doing some more research, I am kinda worried that this may not be the best setup for what I want to do, so please help me.....

I am going to be hunting in Europe, initially Germany and in a few months I am being transferred to Italy. In germany, I will be doing my hunting mostly in field and wooded areas. I am hoping to find coins, gold, silver and relics. A German local who detects here said he found modern coinage, a few roman arrowheads, medevial items, roman coins, etc... I can only imagine that some of this stuff may be pretty deep. Luckily where I am was mostly untouched by WWII bombing, so uxo should not be an issue.

So, my question.... I am thinking of sending the package with my Fisher F2 in it back and instead getting a Tesoro Vaquero or outlaw.

Initially I liked the info screen on the F2, the info seemed like it would be nice to have. From what I read the F2 may have issues in European soil, and while it is described as a coin monster, it may not be so good at relics. I want both coins and relics. I think my 11 year old son would be giddy to find an arrowhead or something like that.

After doing some research, I feel that if I take time to learn the Vaquero or Outlaw tones, the payoff will be bigger. I do not mean bigger monetarily, but better, deeper hits and more confidence in my machine. I am not afraid of a learning curve, so long as the learning curve means I will be less likely to outgrow my machine, or at least not as quickly, and that I will not miss out on some good finds.

I was trying to see what machine the local I met used, but it was some crazy European machine and the language barrier prevented me from inquiring too much about it.

Any help would be hugely appreciated... I have an F2 on the way, but may change it to an Vaquero, any ideas? Suggestions? Other detectors? Anything?

First off, when I make a big purchase, I tend to get overly obsessive abut whether I got the right item or not.

So, I ordered the Fisher F2 all in one package (8" & 4" sniper coil, and cheap pinpointer).

After doing some more research, I am kinda worried that this may not be the best setup for what I want to do, so please help me.....

I am going to be hunting in Europe, initially Germany and in a few months I am being transferred to Italy. In germany, I will be doing my hunting mostly in field and wooded areas. I am hoping to find coins, gold, silver and relics. A German local who detects here said he found modern coinage, a few roman arrowheads, medevial items, roman coins, etc... I can only imagine that some of this stuff may be pretty deep. Luckily where I am was mostly untouched by WWII bombing, so uxo should not be an issue.

So, my question.... I am thinking of sending the package with my Fisher F2 in it back and instead getting a Tesoro Vaquero or outlaw.

Initially I liked the info screen on the F2, the info seemed like it would be nice to have. From what I read the F2 may have issues in European soil, and while it is described as a coin monster, it may not be so good at relics. I want both coins and relics. I think my 11 year old son would be giddy to find an arrowhead or something like that.

After doing some research, I feel that if I take time to learn the Vaquero or Outlaw tones, the payoff will be bigger. I do not mean bigger monetarily, but better, deeper hits and more confidence in my machine. I am not afraid of a learning curve, so long as the learning curve means I will be less likely to outgrow my machine, or at least not as quickly, and that I will not miss out on some good finds.

I was trying to see what machine the local I met used, but it was some crazy European machine and the language barrier prevented me from inquiring too much about it.

Any help would be hugely appreciated... I have an F2 on the way, but may change it to an Vaquero, any ideas? Suggestions? Other detectors? Anything?

I have an F2 and a Vaquero.
If you have issues with mineralization the Vaquero will be better because of the manual GB, and overall it is usually a slightly deeper machine in disc, even deeper when you supertune, hunt in all metal with the threshold and that will be the deepest of all.
Add a DD coil to that one and you should get as deep as possible if your ground is mineralized.

In my MD club we have a couple who go over to England every year to hunt the fields.
I have heard for a long time that the soil is extremely mineralized over there, but in the places they have hunted they say that is not true.
Where you are it might well be.

The F2 can do pretty well in mineralization with a DD coil, but you are still going to be limited.

You are comparing an entry level unit with a mid range unit so the features, benefits and depth can and will not be the same which is obvious.

With the history you have, the possibility of hot ground, the need to go as deep as possible this is a no brainer...

If you are looking for normal targets, coins, jewelry, and maybe some relics at normal depths, 3-4-5-6-7", the F2 might work just fine.
If you want a shot at everything especially the deepest smallest targets...change to the Vaq.

I am a big fan of the Outlaw and it's great value with the 3 coils and extra lower rod package, however, in your case the Vaquero that is reported to go slightly deeper would be my choice instead.

Look at the Minelab Xterra 505/705. They are used all over Europe with great success.:yes:

Thanks for the tips. I was looking at the outlaw as well, really liked it, but from what I read, more people recommend the vasque. I am going to relook at the outlaw though. The xterras are nice, but they are just out of my price range, I was eyeing the 305 as it was in my range. I am trying to stay in the 300-500 range, thats as high as I can justify my purchase with the wife.

Ok, so more research, I could keep the f2, but a new coil and a pro-pointer. So for the same amount of money as the Vaquero or a used 505, I could have an F2, 8" coil, 4" coil, garrett pro pointer, and an 11" DD coil.

If you are looking for the most depth...still the Vaq.

Not looking just for depth. I was afraid the F2 would not do relic well, I kniw it excels at coinage, but I am also looking for relics. I think my kids will enjoy finding an arrowhead more than finding a dime or euro. I was fearful that the F@ would not find relics as well as others. I think the 6 inch depth of the F2 would be plenty, I just don;t want buyers remorse.

IF the soil conditions are bad, then a DD coil will get deeper than an equivalent size concentric, with the added benefit of better separation in trashy areas.

That said, the hammered silver ancient coins that you might find are much lower conductors than the more modern silver coins. And high frequencies will see low conductors better than lower frequencies. You might want to take this into consideration.

It's always going to be a combination of things that determine what is best. Part of it may be depth, coil configuration, and soil conditions, while part will be frequency choice and how the targets sought respond to that frequency.

Just an idea: If you aren't hurting real bad for the $200 back, why not get the Vaq and take them both? That kind of report would help a LOT of people on the internet were you to write about your experiences rather in depth.

Old strip mines

Here in Missouri I live on old lead strip mines from the late 1700 to recent so there's a lot of mineralization for being where I'm from, My F-2 seem's to do all right for me, Now I can't tell you how it would work for European soil cause I've never been there. But I run the 11'' DD mainly but my 4'' & 8'' work's fine also. The only problem I have is with the iron so I just discriminate it out. You can click the link below and it will take you to my youtube channel and you can see what I'm finding with my F-2 and all of it's in mineralized soil, I just couldn't tell you how much it's like the mineralized soil in European soil.

CLICK HERE>>>http://www.youtube.com/user/MRMODIGGER

Not looking just for depth. I was afraid the F2 would not do relic well, I kniw it excels at coinage, but I am also looking for relics. I think my kids will enjoy finding an arrowhead more than finding a dime or euro. I was fearful that the F@ would not find relics as well as others. I think the 6 inch depth of the F2 would be plenty, I just don;t want buyers remorse.

I am not really sure what you are getting at.
The F2 is a metal detector and a great one...it does not differentiate between metal types.
According to my amount of great finds, PLUS the full range and shear volume of everything else I have dug, if it is metal and within its depth range, whatever that may be in your soil, the F2 will signal over all metal objects that are not super small.
Looking for the real tiny stuff...use the sniper coil.
If those arrowheads are metal and of a decent size you can find them with the F2...easily.

I have 4 very large boxes of all kinds of metal trash sitting in my garage waiting to be sorted that will attest to this.

Although mineralisation can be a local problem over here in England iron is even a bigger problem.

I have no experience of the machines you have listed but the two things, amongst others, that I need from a machine is the ability for the machine to recognise iron and a very quick recovery time once it finds a piece of iron.

With 2000 years of fields being worked there is masses of iron in some of the fields.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom