Yukon - Jacksonville, FL Ghost town

I don't know if you've managed to get over to Yukon yet or not, but it's neat to go exploring over there. Last time I was over there, the post office was still active etc so its' been a while. I like walking in Tillie Fowler Regional Park and sure enough the brick trail is alive and well as a walking path. It would be a nice place to MD, but like you I wouldn't know who to contact. I would venture a guess and say something with the City of Jacksonville since it is a city park.

i went toTillie Fowler Regional Park saturday with my MD for about an hour before the rain . i went down the side of the brick road and there was alot of trash i mean alot . my dad said that people dumped trash there for along time before the cleaned it up in to a park . would like to get off the beaten path and check it out alot of history there

Parks and Recreation

I was told by Parks and Recreation that metal detecting in city parks is not allowed, I asked them to list the ordinance, they gave me an ordinance about cutting/defacing property... which had nothing to do with detecting, so I explained to them the recovery process, and asked to speak to higher authority, they have not responded to my email. I plan to continue to fight to get it allowed in public parks. I have been nothing but reasonable and professional about the whole situation, but I cannot say the same for Parks and Recreation ignoring me because there is no written law against metal detecting, and they are trying to cover it up. Jacksonville has no right to govern a hobby like this, its a lot like telling a little league football team they can't practice in the park because the cleats might mess up the field a little bit.

i here ya hunt !!! i went there a couple of times with my md but didnt feel right with out asking for permission . i went there while they where open and asked the ranger dude that stays in the building all the way in the back if i could md there he told me hell no you cant this is a historical site . let me know how your fight turns out i hunt in jax too

I'm a newbie to the hobby, just started a few weeks ago. I live in middleburg, home of the "no metal detecting sign". It is really getting old mding in the woods near my house and finding nothing but poachers spent rounds.
But I will say it gets the wife out of the house (and not to walmart lol) with me, and my soon to be six year old son loves to dig for pirates treasure.

Pm me if you want to meet up to go md.
Thanks

I've been hunting in the jax and clay county area for years now, Ive been in many of jax parks for several years and have never been told i couldn't md their usually i get curious onlookers. I've found its best to do it on weekends since the city workers are off on weekends and the only people you'll see are joggers. the only places in clay county you can't md in is the old courthouse but right next door is the school board office that was the high school from the 30s to the 60s its run by the school board not the county so its free game. theirs alot out their still just keep looking good luck

I don't know if you've managed to get over to Yukon yet or not, but it's neat to go exploring over there. Last time I was over there, the post office was still active etc so its' been a while. I like walking in Tillie Fowler Regional Park and sure enough the brick trail is alive and well as a walking path. It would be a nice place to MD, but like you I wouldn't know who to contact. I would venture a guess and say something with the City of Jacksonville since it is a city park.

I grew up in Jax. and now live in Macclenny. I was going to contact
Jax. Sheriff's Office or simply ask a police officer whether or not I
would have permission to hunt in public parks. If they say it's okay, I'm
gung ho. I understand about defacing/cutting up vegetation. But MD does not do that. It's not like I would be plowing up the ground or destroying vegetation. The person you contacted with the city may have said what
they did just to put you off, not wanting to bother with you.

i was md'ing at a clay county sight i hit often and a deputy pulled up but he was more curious about what type of detector i had and if i find much he said good luck and drove away, I've been in several jax parks and have seen jso deputes drive by glance at me and just keep going. as long as your not dealing crack or looking for a hooker i don't think they really care

Back
Top Bottom