All Quiet on the SoCal Beach front

Brizors

So what is up with the Southern CA beaches lately!?!?!?

A few months ago I was finding a gold piece every couple weeks, and even a heavy platinum ring on the volleyball courts. Lately.. nothing.. ABSOLUTELY nothing.. Nothing in the wet so far as to say I've found the wet to be a waste of time, yet I still at least give it a go each time. Dry is the only option it seems and only for the clad coin every now and then. Even then, I came back tonight after 3 hours with less than $3 in clad and absolutely nothing else of any value. Not even costume jewelry which I have an entire case of. Just bottle caps, trash, bobby pins, and a disgusting amount of deteriorated pennies..

Are you guys finding anything? It has been around 4 months since I have found anything of value and it was a small silver earring. I own a Sovereign GT for god's sake.. and this is SoCal... Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach... all barren of the fruits they once possessed.. what gives? This area is LOADED with rich folks...

I might as well give my Sov GT to a 5 year old... I'm sure even a child could find more than me... this is ridiculous.. 4 months and nothing but a small silver earring... I am absolutely sick of this, and it's really cold now too since I only detect at night. I'm beginning to think it just isn't worth it until winter passes and more people actually go to the beach to stock it up again. As of now, it seems to be depleted.

Please tell me you guys are seeing the same thing. I can't live with myself owning a Minelabs Sovereign GT and a silver earring the only thing of value in 4 months of 3+ hour weekend sessions... this is just too pathetic to live down. I feel like sh!t... frustrated to the brink of insanity.. none of this makes any sense.. :no:

I read a sign once, "if you are lucky enough to live at the beach then you are lucky enough "

Hopefully the finds start soon

Sent from my detector via iPhone

:laughing::laughing: "I own a Sovereign GT for gods sake":laughing:

Have you tried swallowing a penny? As it works it way through your system, it sort of acts like a 'signal magnifier' like those guys who tape a nickel to the side of their Pinpointers...!

You should also sleep with a gold item under your pillow, and one taped inside your hat so your brain gets dialed in to the metallurgical field of AU...!

You sure can write though! :laughing::laughing:
Mud

I read a sign once, "if you are lucky enough to live at the beach then you are lucky enough "

Hopefully the finds start soon

Sent from my detector via iPhone

Very true, it's something taken for granted that I shouldn't because I have lived here all my life. I think we all tend to take some things for granted about where we live or some of the good things in our lives. Thanks for grounding me.

Let me know if you want to sell your GT, I could always use a fourth ;)

Why on earth do you have 3 Sov GT's!!?!?!?!?! Why?!

:laughing::laughing: "I own a Sovereign GT for gods sake":laughing:

Have you tried swallowing a penny? As it works it way through your system, it sort of acts like a 'signal magnifier' like those guys who tape a nickel to the side of their Pinpointers...!

You should also sleep with a gold item under your pillow, and one taped inside your hat so your brain gets dialed in to the metallurgical field of AU...!

You sure can write though! :laughing::laughing:
Mud

Well I haven't tried swallowing them but I have tried something else, here is a preview: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2n6137

So my signal amplifier should be working nicely, I have quite a few of them in my ass right now! :cool:

:laughing::laughing:More than the population of Nebraska!:laughing::laughing:

Oh Man...well....you got to do something to get your confidence back I guess..scatter them around on the beach!...Just allow them to dribble out as you walk along! Dont hunt that stretch for a week or so, let somebody else find them. Even if you never find Gold again in your lifetime, at least you Know you are better than all the other detectorists out there!:laughing:

Its a valid concept! In lieu of pennies, I wonder if Chucky Cheese tokens would make for a decent substitute?
Mud

Same deal in beaches south of yours. A lot more sand on some of them than 6 months ago so its all fluffy and lacking targets. San Clemente was like quicksand in the deeper wet.
I have a CTX and usually hunt wide open. But after the last trip with all the aluminum I'm spending my time making a custom search program to mask most junk stuff. At least I'll save my back not digging !!!! and have more chance of hitting something worthwhile.

Don't fret. It'll pick up (hopefully). I feel your pain as well. 10... TEN of us pounded the SNOT out of a local southern beach here in San Diego the other week (and there are several that hit it on a daily regimen) and of the TEN of us we got about 2.00.... One person found a nice 14k ring . High on the slope where you wouldn't expect it to be.... Go figure. . Negative low tides, storms, dry sand?.. Right now it's just a waiting game. Certainly aint the easy findings of last yr that's for sure.
I bought a chest wader and some ray boots. Time go get WAY out on a good low tide... I'm personally SICK of coming up empty handed.

Saw Romy's video of Balboa - those stingrays have me freaked. Might ask for a pair of Rayguard boots for as - but how are they for a lot of walking around?

brizors, it depends on if you're talking about the dry sand, or the wet sand.

If you're talking about the dry sand, then that's just random drops of whatever-traffic has been on the beach recently. And I would assume that the hot summer months draw more tourist, sun-bathers, and swimmers, than the colder months of Nov. and Dec. :?:

And I notice that some So. CA beaches have their dry sand hit harder and more methodically than other So. CA beaches. I hit one, for instance, a few years ago, and was relegated to the dry sand, because the wet sand was "sanded in". And I chanced into a zone where I could tell no one had worked (at least not deeply) the dry sand for many years. In a few hours I had nearly 200 coins, many of which evidenced having been there for many years (green, etc...). So you might try some other beaches, even if they're less touristy.

As for the wet sand (if that's what you meant): CA has been in a standstill for a LONG time now. No good swells. Here @ Monterey Bay where I'm at, we got a teaser NW swell (so that wouldn't have benefitted your SW facing So. CA beaches) that came through about last Sunday. We got some silver coins, wheaties, and a few rings. But within a day or two it sanded back in.

And there is no swells, from any direction, even on the long-term looking radar for now :(

Well from all the Utbe vids i watch wich i enjoy very much.Looks to me there is at least half a doz guys on all them beaches AROUND THE CLOCK.Without a good storm to turn the beach over it gets picked clean daily...Same thing is going on here its becoming harder and harder to find anything...

Summer always sucks. Too many hunters. Thankfully most of the random people with metal detectors give up after summer.

I found 1 plat ring all summer. Then a plat ring and gold pendant like two weeks ago. Once this semester is over it's on.

What scoop do you guys use at the beach? Im trying to get one to pair up with my AT PRO i hope to get soon :)

Trying one I got off Amazon - the one that has kind of a welded curved handle in the back. It's ok but uses some muscles I didn't use with my modified feed shovel. I also have a perforated shovel I need to try - just put a fiberglass handle on it. It may be better actually... but will rust with time. Thinking of modding it a bit.

Same deal in beaches south of yours. A lot more sand on some of them than 6 months ago so its all fluffy and lacking targets. San Clemente was like quicksand in the deeper wet.
I have a CTX and usually hunt wide open. But after the last trip with all the aluminum I'm spending my time making a custom search program to mask most junk stuff. At least I'll save my back not digging !!!! and have more chance of hitting something worthwhile.

To be honest, the wet always seems to be sanded in here above palovs Verdes but below El Segundo. Most of the time it's a waste of time, I still check it for a good 30 mins, and usually I find no targets or 1 or two deteriorated pennies, aluminum, etc, then move on to the dry where I find 95% of my gold/platinum. The towel line and volleyball courts are my bread and butter since the wet doesn't produce for me.

Don't fret. It'll pick up (hopefully). I feel your pain as well. 10... TEN of us pounded the SNOT out of a local southern beach here in San Diego the other week (and there are several that hit it on a daily regimen) and of the TEN of us we got about 2.00.... One person found a nice 14k ring . High on the slope where you wouldn't expect it to be.... Go figure. . Negative low tides, storms, dry sand?.. Right now it's just a waiting game. Certainly aint the easy findings of last yr that's for sure.
I bought a chest wader and some ray boots. Time go get WAY out on a good low tide... I'm personally SICK of coming up empty handed.

So what are the conditions that I should be looking for in order to find some good wet sand conditions, I have never had luck in the wet.

Saw Romy's video of Balboa - those stingrays have me freaked. Might ask for a pair of Rayguard boots for as - but how are they for a lot of walking around?

Yes, I see quite a lot of them! At least they are small the size of pancakes.

brizors, it depends on if you're talking about the dry sand, or the wet sand.

If you're talking about the dry sand, then that's just random drops of whatever-traffic has been on the beach recently. And I would assume that the hot summer months draw more tourist, sun-bathers, and swimmers, than the colder months of Nov. and Dec. :?:

And I notice that some So. CA beaches have their dry sand hit harder and more methodically than other So. CA beaches. I hit one, for instance, a few years ago, and was relegated to the dry sand, because the wet sand was "sanded in". And I chanced into a zone where I could tell no one had worked (at least not deeply) the dry sand for many years. In a few hours I had nearly 200 coins, many of which evidenced having been there for many years (green, etc...). So you might try some other beaches, even if they're less touristy.

As for the wet sand (if that's what you meant): CA has been in a standstill for a LONG time now. No good swells. Here @ Monterey Bay where I'm at, we got a teaser NW swell (so that wouldn't have benefitted your SW facing So. CA beaches) that came through about last Sunday. We got some silver coins, wheaties, and a few rings. But within a day or two it sanded back in.

And there is no swells, from any direction, even on the long-term looking radar for now :(

Apparently since the beginning all my finds have been dry sand luck then, because 95% of my jewelry is in the dry and volleyball courts, I can't get the wet to produce. Am I looking for swells that are directly hitting the face of the shoreline in order to have good wet conditions? NW swell for example means the direction of the swell is originating aka coming from the NW and headed toward the SE, correct?

Summer always sucks. Too many hunters. Thankfully most of the random people with metal detectors give up after summer.

I found 1 plat ring all summer. Then a plat ring and gold pendant like two weeks ago. Once this semester is over it's on.

So strange.. when I was finding 2-3 gold pieces every 2 weeks, it was in the summer, as well as the most coins, makes sense because I spend most of the time in the dry since the wet doesn't produce here very much.

What scoop do you guys use at the beach? Im trying to get one to pair up with my AT PRO i hope to get soon :)

RTG Lightweight Stainless Scoop. Which makes me wonder if it is ideal for the wet sand at all because dry is fine but it sure is hard to shake wet sand out of it due to the smaller cylindrical volume... in fact my arm hurts after a few hours due to how ahrd I have to shake the wet sand out. What do you guys recommend as a good option for both wet and dry in one scoop? I don't really want to own more than one for wet and dry I'm willing to compromise for something that can handle a bit of both.

I now sport frogg togg hellbender chest waders with integrated booties and use ray guard boots with ray guard shin/calf protectors. Fit PERFECT and are super comfortable.

Brizors: to answer your question directed to me, Google "Tom's beach tips ". It will bring up an article that I wrote on this subject.

Brizors:
1st... I've been told I act like a 5 year old at times. So I'll gladly take your Sov GT off your hands.

2nd... Unlike others, I don't have 3 Sov GTs, I have 3 Sov XSs. So the GT would be a nice change of pace.

3rd... define cold? It's SoCal for Pete's Sake. What is the night temp... 60? Come out east to the Mid-Atlantic states. We can show you cold!

Otherwise, keep swinging and digging. It will happen!

Back
Top Bottom