Florida -Miami- info needed

Gerry1

Guys and gals, need your advice! We are planning a week to 10 day vacation to Florida,I will metal detect every second day and be the tourist in the off days.
We have not booked our accommodation as of yet.
What is the detecting like in Jan and on what beach would you suggest I book a hotel. My fantasy would be South Beach, how ever if there is another spot better for detecting at that time of year what beach would you recommend.

Gerry

South Beach and all along Miami Beach is getting year round tourists so your chances of scoring are always good. I haven't done well out there in the water the last couple of times though. The winds have been variable as of late. Nothing that's kept a consistent pattern for any decent amount of time. But even if you don't score the sights are unbeatable. ;)

sorry not trying to hijack but I am in Miami two weeks every month and two weeks in Maine since the ground is frozen I was thinking about bringing my MD to Miami.

First would you need permission to hit south beach or is it first come first serve?
What about the parks? I went to fakahatchee a few weeks ago and thought it my be a good place to search.

I hope this helps out the OP as well

All beaches are open for MDing in Florida (in the water) except Treasure Coast. No permits needed. State Parks prohibit metal detecting.

Thanks Felix

Thanks for the info. If you think of any other piece of advise let me know.
Out of the beaches in Miami South Beach would be the best?
Should I bring a wet suit or plan on dry sand / wet sand hunting only hunting.

Gerry

Thanks for the info. If you think of any other piece of advise let me know.
Out of the beaches in Miami South Beach would be the best?
Should I bring a wet suit or plan on dry sand / wet sand hunting only hunting.

Gerry

I think you're good from 5th street to 41st. Wet suit? For you? Arent' you from up North? That would be shameful! :lol: (I went all of last winter without a wet suit down here). You can do both.

I was there about 5 years ago and hunted Daytona, South and Hollywood. Also hunted the beaches behind the condo's I stayed at. I found 688 coins in three weeks and one gold ring. The ring was behind a condo. One wheat penny which was up in the sand at Daytona.

Yes South beach had the most interesting view. Unbelievable at first! I was in a shortie and it was February. It was a great three weeks.

Thanks guys

That's the type of info I am after. 5th-41st no wet suit :lol: and any other tid bits. Any suggestion as when to hunt early morning, is it save at night. This time of year the water would be better than wet sand or dry sand. What about stingrays, I hunt in a pair of dive boots.
Gerry

That's the type of info I am after. 5th-41st no wet suit :lol: and any other tid bits. Any suggestion as when to hunt early morning, is it save at night. This time of year the water would be better than wet sand or dry sand. What about stingrays, I hunt in a pair of dive boots.
Gerry

For a 4-5 hour water hunt I'm out there 2-3 hours before low tide. I've never hunted at night. I haven't seen sting rays on but I'm sure they're around. I've never had a single issue with one of them. Jelly fish, especially Portuguese-Man-O-War are another matter however.

I think you're good from 5th street to 41st. Wet suit? For you? Arent' you from up North? That would be shameful! :lol: (I went all of last winter without a wet suit down here). You can do both.

Hey Felix,

How about the beach in front of the Fountain Blue? Or is that not good since they turned it into a condo?

Hey Felix,

How about the beach in front of the Fountain Blue? Or is that not good since they turned it into a condo?

When I said 41st I though I was covering the Fountainbleau. But I may have left it out so from 5th - Fountainbleau.

State parks very...... in land normally is no hunting. On the ocean you can hunt the dry sand..... but NOT in the water.

See if you can get the swell charts for the period you want to hunt as well. Try and catch less windy days or winds out of the West.

Dew

Wear boots though. Shuffle those feet. And watch out for Jellyfish, they hurt...ALOT!........:shock:

Thanks guys this is the type of info I need. I will be online shortly to book a hotel between 5 - 41st

Gerry

True story. At Daytona I was out snorkeling with the sharks and metal detecting behind my condo. I heard someone yelling and stood up. A guy in a 4 wheeler was telling me to get out of the water. I asked why. He demanded again. I again said why. He said Someone was going to jail. That got my attention so I got out. He wasn't in any kind of uniform. He told me to sit on the 4 wheeler. I said no I am standing. I asked if he was a cop and he said yes. I said show me your ID. He said it was at the beachhouse. From the others talking I figured out he was a lifeguard and I was in front of a public beach. They were kicking anybody out because of sharks. I had drifted down from the condo. I said I was going back in and I walked away from him. Went back to the condo and got back in the water.

A while later I get a tap on my shoulder. I stand up and there is a guy pointing to the shore. Two uniformed officers were on the beach. I get out and there was a rookie and a Sgt there. The rookie said I hear you gave the lifeguard a hard time. I said no, he gave me a hard time. I had NO idea who he was and he refused to say why I had to get out of the water. I told them I dove with sharks in Okinawa and they didn't bother me. I also told them the lifeguard was impersonating a peace officer. We had a good talk and I let them know I was an ex cop. The rookie asked for my information so they could notify my next of kin if something went wrong. I laughed and gave it to them. The Sgt said just stay in the water in front of the condo and you are fine.

FAST FORWARD to that evening. I was in the water wading and detecting at dusk. I could barely see but was having fun. Some sort of fish, no idea what, jumped out of the water and it me in the shoulder. LOL, I started shaking like a leaf in a hurricane. I couldn't get out fast enough!

Now I laugh every time I think of it. The fish wasn't over two foot long. But it sure ruined my detecting for the evening.

Last edited:
State Parks prohibit metal detecting.
Florida state parks do not all prohibit detecting. Most with salt water beaches allow it but not in the water. Anastasia park near St. Augustine allows it (unless something changed) and Honeymoon Island north of Clearwater allows it. Inland state parks do not allow detecting in or out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom