Excal depth test ... questions and a P-E-N-D-A-N-T !!!

Funny thing

Dave & Phil , don't know about the west coast side of Florida, but I hunt 2 times , the total of 5 weeks on the treasure coast, I found that my weapon of choice was the Whites DF PI, again the way I look at it, since i dig mostly all, if i run PP on the Excalibur like you Phil, why not the DF , most of the targets were over 12 down their, The DF would be my hunting choice, deeper, more coverage, at about half the price of a Excalibur :imo::my2cents::cheers3:

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

I noticed the Excal (disc-1) didn't sound on small foil wrapper pieces but it did sound on a 4-6" deep rivit/button looking thing. My Exp-II goes off like a gun-shot on the wrappers and if I reduce the sens enough to eliminate them, I may lose small targets like earrings. Weird. I guess this is a +1 for the Excal.

My hearing, well I certainly won't go def on the Explorer so it gets a point for that. :lol:

You will not lose small earrings David unless you choose to bypass targets like I know some do... a gold ring open in the back or an earring can sound like junk... its all about learning your machine and its nuances... some highly corroded nickels can sound like junk or if they are on edge.. just take your time and dig anything that comes thru the null... not every gold or silver target is going to sound perfect.

One more thing invite Earl to a beach loaded with iron and let him enjoy himself ;)

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

I noticed the Excal (disc-1) didn't sound on small foil wrapper pieces but it did sound on a 4-6" deep rivit/button looking thing. My Exp-II goes off like a gun-shot on the wrappers and if I reduce the sens enough to eliminate them, I may lose small targets like earrings. Weird. I guess this is a +1 for the Excal.

My hearing, well I certainly won't go def on the Explorer so it gets a point for that. :lol:
Reduce the sen? You should NOT be reducing the sens! Keep it as high as possible to just before falsing and leave it alone. Run your disc at 0 all the way off. Use the tones to discriminate! Do not use the machine to disc. Use your ears. As you learn the tones you will be able to tell what you are digging before. Better than a VDI in my opinion. Learn the tones to use the Force! :yoda:

Craig

You need a vacation down their, as you can run a PI with Sugar sand beaches , and forget about those iron infested beaches of yours' if you want a sweet spot to stay reasonable- on the treasure coast, i will PM you the spot, Dog friendly with a fee, stay a week 2, 3, or a month wright on the beach, a doctor from Maryland owns the property, happy hunting Earl

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 11111.jpg
    11111.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 92
Dave & Phil , don't know about the west coast side of Florida, but I hunt 2 times , the total of 5 weeks on the treasure coast...,
One more thing invite Earl to a beach loaded with iron and let him enjoy himself ;)

Ha, I was in the Treasure coast two months ago for work. normally the beaches are nice, but when I stopped, everywhere I went was littered with iron pieces... heavy gauge wire like from crab-fishing traps. Ugh, it was aweful...can't imagine using a PI there.

You need a vacation down their, ....on the beach, a doctor from Maryland owns the property, happy hunting Earl
Do share!

If you knock out foil...... you WILL miss more than just studs. Small rings and necklaces in the water will be gone. Id play with my threshold before my sensitivity.

On the other side of the island..... bobby pins and bottle caps can keep you real busy. With a moded Xcal having the ability to quickly ID iron is a must. I find a lot of targets really deep that dont null...... the machine just ignores them that i clearly hear in PP. Depth wise...... yes a PI has depth advantage over there just because it seems to do a bit better in fluffy sand too. Multi freq dont seem to like air space soil.

Dew

Man, I'm trying to use the swartz but I ain't found (.....) :lol:

You need to expand your horizons David... water is still fairly warm as is the air temps up here (40's)... hitch a ride with OBN and come up... you won't have to worry about targets sinking out of reach on our rocky shores... ;)

Dave

Craig will fine tune you on the Excalibur up their, and guarantee, you to return with no water infections from the stink mud , with plenty raw seafood on him howboutit :yes::D. Ps Craig said just make sure you bring up some clams & Oysters from the gulf 4 him howboutut. :laughing:

Last edited:
Man, I'm trying to use the swartz but I ain't found (.....) :lol:

LOL I watched that over the weekend....again.

My brother and I were out deer hunting 2 weekends ago and he sent me a text asking If I'd seen anything. I replied with that pic of them "combing the desert" :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom