• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Two flat buttons, ID and cleaning help needed

k2gleaner

Elite Member
After hours of nothing but iron and junk, I persisted and found two flat buttons within 20 feet of each other. One has writing on the back and appears to be a quality mark. The other is made of a different, heavier material, and is in worse shape. The front APPEARS to have a design - I can imagine an anchor or eagle, but I just think it's a crude button.

I believe I could read the word "color" on the button, as in "RICH COLOR" or something I could expect.

I STARTED to clean these in water but found a post on treasurenet that said to use a wooden skewer and rub the surface of the backside in order to clean off the surface but leave the patina in the grooves so as to read the words better.

I feel I could read it better before. Any advice and ID help would be appreciated.

Anyway, gotta clean it up a little more.

Attachments

• buttons2.jpg
    buttons2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 157
  • buttons4.jpg
    buttons4.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 136
  • buttons5.jpg
    buttons5.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 141
  • buttons6.jpg
    buttons6.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 121
After hours of nothing but iron and junk, I persisted and found two flat buttons within 20 feet of each other. One has writing on the back and appears to be a quality mark. The other is made of a different, heavier material, and is in worse shape. The front APPEARS to have a design - I can imagine an anchor or eagle, but I just think it's a crude button.

I believe I could read the word "color" on the button, as in "RICH COLOR" or something I could expect.

I STARTED to clean these in water but found a post on treasurenet that said to use a wooden skewer and rub the surface of the backside in order to clean off the surface but leave the patina in the grooves so as to read the words better.

I feel I could read it better before. Any advice and ID help would be appreciated.

Anyway, gotta clean it up a little more.

I tumble my buttons with great success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RICH COLOR indicates it was gold gilt originally and US made.
If the spelling was COLOUR then British made.

These flat buttons are from around the later 1700's to mid 1800's. Most do not have makes markings to narrow down the date.

I find a few and always happy when I do.

Good finds.

RICH COLOR indicates it was gold gilt originally and US made.
If the spelling was COLOUR then British made.

These flat buttons are from around the later 1700's to mid 1800's. Most do not have makes markings to narrow down the date.

I find a few and always happy when I do.

Good finds.

^^ good post ^^

Love them gilt buttons !

Thanks, folks. I will do some more searching on the next step in cleaning but I'd take any advice you can give right now.

Thanks, folks. I will do some more searching on the next step in cleaning but I'd take any advice you can give right now.

Forgot the cleaning question.

Being these are brass, copper alloy, and the amount of corrosion I think it is as good as it will get.
Doing anything more will just remove what little detail is left.

I just found another flat button yesterday. Cleaner dry with a tooth pick and could just make out ""????NARD GILT" which would be STANDARD GILT, so its early to mid 1800's, US made. No other mark and these were hard to see. Anything more all these marks will disappear.

Back
Top Bottom