Want a waterproof detector - any suggestions based on what I already have?

Liberty_1776

Forum Supporter
I have an ACE250 and a Whites Spectrum XLT. Since I got the XLT, I rarely use the ACE unless someone is hunting with me that doesn't have a MD then I let them use the ACE. I love everything about the XLT... if only it were waterproof. What I don't like about the ACE is that it has no threshold. Now, having said that, I would jump on the AT Pro but I understand it doesn't have a threshold tone either.

I've seen a number of waterproof detectors that don't have any kind of display. I think I would feel lost without that. I also think I'd be lost without the threshold tone. I really don't want to spend a lot on a third detector ($200 - $500 and a used detector would be OK) but I want something that's going to find the good stuff too. Any recommendations? Has anyone went from display to no display? Did you feel lost without the display?

I believe the at pro dose have an adjustable threshold.
But I could be wrong. I do know the at gold dose.
And you should be able to get a used at pro for $400 - $500.
But you should give Bart of Big Boys Hobbies a call. He is a sponsor here.
He has the at pro listed for just I'm under $600 on his site.
he can probably make you good deal on a new one. That way you get the warranty to.

The Sand Shark by Tesoro might be in your price range, and it has awesome reviews.

The Sand Shark by Tesoro might be in your price range, and it has awesome reviews.

I was looking at the Tesoro brand detectors. That's what prompted my questions about the display. I think I've come to rely on my display pretty heavily. I don't know how it would be without one.

I'll definitely check it out. Does it at least have what White's calls "target ID" where it will make different tones for different targets?

Nope. The Sand Shark has an adjustable tone frequency, which means you can set the response tone to your ear, the tone that you hear best. It also has two operating modes.. Normal, and VCO (Voltage Controlled Ocillation).

The Learning curve is 35-50 hours on the headphones. It is a serious beach machine, but I also use it in farm fields and do great with it there as well - even though I will warn you that my nickname is "Iron Man," because I dig a lot of it. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom