To the Careful Plug Diggers

Dirty Nails

Elite Member
This morning I completed the other side of a quarter mile of sidewalk that I started a couple weeks ago. Ninety degrees, 70 percent humidity, gnats, and then the grass, tree roots and canslaw...I lasted two hours. I got 76 cents out of 30 coins and about 40 holes. I salute each and everyone of you who dig careful holes in hardened ground. I'm going to stick with the loose, sandy soil of NW Florida. What a labor of love this hobby is. Time for a nap!

Salute back at ya Brutha! 'tain't easy. I read here a lot of folks are choosy on where to hunt; looking for shade and easier digging dirt, or just waiting for a good rain. I am a lot more careful about digging plugs in dry ground. I felt pretty bad many years ago, when I returned after a hunt at my Mother's place, and saw dead brown spots where my plugs were. It took most of the next year for them to fully heal, and green up.

Salute back at ya Brutha! 'tain't easy. I read here a lot of folks are choosy on where to hunt; looking for shade and easier digging dirt, or just waiting for a good rain. I am a lot more careful about digging plugs in dry ground. I felt pretty bad many years ago, when I returned after a hunt at my Mother's place, and saw dead brown spots where my plugs were. It took most of the next year for them to fully heal, and green up.

Absolutely , This primarily along with time constraints why my hunts remain shorter and I tend to cherry pick a bit more then a beach environment

Reasearch or scouting plays a big roll . Having multiple options lets you give places a rest .
Often my hunts are directed to locations that may be less productive then other options that day.
Heading north or south depending on recent rainfall or flat out avoiding your best potential spot as to not leave evidence too much activity.

On a sandy beach it's much easier with the right tools to just retrieve the target and clear the trash . It's also much safer for everyone that you get that dangerous ugly !!!! out of the way for folks .

On the other hand .. some of these beaches are mighty far away from a parking area. A mountain goat can struggle with the clime to the water .

As someone who does not hunt sand often .. it is also not easy without the right tools or experience.

Dreaming of hunting a beach full of pretty ladies who like to flirt with the metal detector guy? Where folks open there coolers and offer a cold one 🤔
Where the weather moves the sand out perfectly and turns beutiful an hour before you get there? Where you can set your small bag with your personal items and gear and lunch on the beach and wonder away from it without worries 😳.
Somehow the hunters on land or sea or some bug infested back woods cellardweller.. or some guy in the hot dry sun looking for nuggets with a pick axe finds a way to enjoy the hunt .

We're all nuts! 😜

HH. ,Dew

Last edited:

HuhHuhnaha?! hunnahunnahunnahhuh!! You said taint! :laughing:

Add fire ants to that list and it sounds like my day yesterday! It wasn't the gold dance...it was the ant dance, lol. Might have to hang up the flipflops

Back
Top Bottom