Need to buy water shoes. Any advice?

If you go with dive boots, I'd advise against the hard-soled ones...that honeycomb structure eventually and permanently fills with fine sand and causes lumps. The thinner, more flexible soles do surprisingly well.
Very true, my set right now are hard sole..love them in the local waters but at the ocean, those little channels in the soles fill with sand and get lumpy just like you said, then you have to rip the liner and wash them after ever hunt..a real pain..

I bought these 3 years ago and still going strong. I am in the water at least 3 days a week usually more.

http://www.amazon.com/NeoSport-Wets...F8&qid=1434199721&sr=8-10&keywords=dive+boots

Choices, choices, choices!!

I can second the neosport boots, I have 2 pairs going on 3 seasons and not a single problem. Very impressive in the world of junk products we have to sort through nowdays.

Well, if there good enough for Scuba and Bunga, they're good enough for me. Good price on these too.

Yes... yes... I know... I resurrected a two-year-old thread! :p

R5

I purchased a pair of dive boots that featured the side zipper only to have one zipper not want to zip and then a few hunts later I had one I was wearing that didn't want to unzip! It was quite frustrating! I like the idea mentioned earlier about the elastic velcro to seal the top of the boot!

Fine sand gets in the zipper and causes it to jam. You need to thoroughly wash the zipper to prevent it happening.

For most comfortable check out the Soft Science brand "the Fin Boot".

I usually wear a size 10 1/2 shoe but the Fin Boot in size 10 fits perfect.

They are nice and wide also.

I'm looking for a pair of water shoes to hunt local creeks. Will sand get inside of these if worn with shorts...I don't have or want to buy a scuba suit? Do you wear socks with them? How do they handle slippery rocks?

They are like wearing regular sneakers just in the water. I really like them for mud and rocks, gravel etc. Also I have bad feet so moccasin like boots don't cut it for me.
They have a velcro strap around the top that keeps the zipper up and most of the sand out.

I kinda like those as well.

Where I hunt there are a lot of sting rays and after getting hit once, I'll NEVER get hit again.. That #$#$ hurts :mad::mad: If you get these understand they run BIG. like BIG!!! I wear a 10.5 to 11 and While wearing waders with the slip on built in booties, the sz 10 fits perfect. With just socks they seriously are to big. They are also heavy so they are for the water not for any dry sanding. Also the soles don't last all to long...

on the regular hunts (not shoulder deep) I wear these religiously.. They are true to size and the zippers are sturdy. Keeps your feet warm and protected from glass and sharp stuff.

Attachments

• 41Np7wqBV9L.jpg
    41Np7wqBV9L.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 69
If you go with dive boots, I'd advise against the hard-soled ones...that honeycomb structure eventually and permanently fills with fine sand and causes lumps. The thinner, more flexible soles do surprisingly well.

Very true, my set right now are hard sole..love them in the local waters but at the ocean, those little channels in the soles fill with sand and get lumpy just like you said, then you have to rip the liner and wash them after ever hunt..a real pain..

OK that's exactly what happened to me and then I had to slice the liner to get the sand out as the lump would cause me pain after 2-3 hours. I can't go to soft-soled ones as I need the extra support and 2-3 hours in those would cause me pain. (So I went back to Crocs). I might take out the inner liner completely and put in new inserts. What do you guys think about drilling 2-3 holes through the bottom of the soles so the sand can evacuate from inside the shoes under the inserts? Or do you think it'll just let more sand come in?

Attachments

• 20180705_174032.jpg
    20180705_174032.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 67
OK that's exactly what happened to me and then I had to slice the liner to get the sand out as the lump would cause me pain after 2-3 hours. I can't go to soft-soled ones as I need the extra support and 2-3 hours in those would cause me pain. (So I went back to Crocs). I might take out the inner liner completely and put in new inserts. What do you guys think about drilling 2-3 holes through the bottom of the soles so the sand can evacuate from inside the shoes under the inserts? Or do you think it'll just let more sand come in?

Tuff call, but would be interesting to see if the holes work.........

I fixed my problem. I stopped hunting those crazy ocean beach's and went for the calm waters...

I have used Simms boots for wetwading at work and flyfishing for years. Indestructable. I've got 1 pair of extremely heavy sims boots and a pair of their water sneakers I reccomend buying neoprene gators too if u go this route to keep the gravel out.

Back
Top Bottom