Eurotek Pro modification to fix PinPoint mode

CC_IN_CA

My Eurotek Pro works great when discriminating, but constantly kicks out of pinpoint mode into discriminate mode on almost every target. Reading this forum, it appears to be a very common problem. The problem is lack of debounce firmware for the pinpoint button, and not a faulty membrane switch.

One can deal with momentary key bounce in firmware or hardware. I added hardware fix and the problem was cured. The fix is to add a .47uf capacitor from the pinpoint switch to ground. This eliminates microsecond make and break contacts being seen by the computer chip causing it to jump out of pinpoint mode.

Below is a pic shows two pins to connect .47uf capacitor indicated by voltmeter leads. The red lead is on the pinpoint signal (second pin). The black lead is on the ground signal (fifth pin). Add capacitor underneath pushing capacitor leads up through holes from below, and soldering into place. If you use an electrolytic capacitor make sure its lead polarity is correct. I recommend using a poly capacitor such as this one.

Disassembly is easy by removing three screws and slowly removing back panel. Take care you do not pull on flat ribbon cable attaching the two halfs. Remove the battery and one screw is under that, while other two screws are on case back.

Be aware this will void your warranty. I decided to try fixing this instead of sending it back as I am sure all units have this problem and factory could not repair an engineering design flaw. I've put four hours detecting use on machine since adding fix, and only seen pinpoint problem occur once (probably operator error not holding button down firmly). Its a huge improvement and worth it, IMO.

Attachments

• EurotekProFix.jpg
    EurotekProFix.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,010
  • EurotekProCAP.jpg
    EurotekProCAP.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
i love DIY repairs. hope it continues to perform as expected!

Oldest coin- 1958 Wheatie

Pinpointing

CC_IN_CA: I bought a ETP just for competition hunts and indeed I had the pinpointing problem. I tried your fix and that does seem to fix the problem. I believe to really fix it permanently we need to change out the point point button for a toggle switch. I tried using it without problems except one target I was kneeling and tried to point a lost target with the detector and it dropped out because I couldn't push very good on the button with the detect over my head. As soon as I stood up there was no problem. I would like to add a 3 position spring back switch. Off, momentary, and on, like my other detectors.
I see you used an electrolytic, I used a ceramic cap.

Did you play with the pot? Do you know what its for?
Thanks

Never thought about a capacitor. Good idea. Had the same problem with my LRP. I added a on-off-momentary switch. Pull the trigger for momentary pinpoint. Push forward for continuous.
lrp.jpg

Last edited:
lrp.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Hi. Could you tell me where to attach the two pins in the circuit, to use the pinpoint from an external button like you did? I have tried with the electrolytic capacitor. I fix the pinpoint but it freezes the menu. thanks

Back
Top Bottom